Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal rapist wants Spanish lawyer, taxpayers pay of course

Morristown (illegal alien scumbag) rape suspect wants 5th lawyer

Judge lashes out after man, 27, seeks attorney who's Spanish-speaking

The trial of a man charged with dragging a woman off a Morristown sidewalk and raping her was put on hold Wednesday after he demanded a new attorney, his fifth in 21 months.

Superior Court Judge Joseph A. Falcone, sitting in Morristown, agreed to relieve the latest lawyer for suspect Joel A. Romero, 27, because Romero refuses to speak to counsel Douglas Del Tufo and claims he does not have "his best interests at heart."

Since he was caught in the act of assaulting a 20-year-old woman on July 10, 2005, Romero has gone through three public defenders and one private lawyer, Del Tufo.

The Morris County Office of the Public Defender is expected to reassign Romero's first lawyer, Jessica Moses, to represent him on multiple charges that include kidnapping and aggravated sexual assault.

Falcone reluctantly let Del Tufo step down from the case while acknowledging that the attorney has been a strong advocate for Romero at court conferences. But Falcone said he did not want to force a trial with built-in attorney-client conflicts as grounds for appeal.

The judge in February set a trial date of May 7, but said Wednesday he would give Romero until May 30 to either accept a plea bargain or go to trial. The Morris County Prosecutor's Office has extended a 30-year plea deal. Falcone said he had been willing to consider a 24-year sentence but upped the offer back to 30 years Wednesday after Romero started making demands, through a Spanish-to-English court interpreter.

"I want one who speaks Spanish," said Romero, who is in the United States illegally from Honduras.

"Too bad!" blurted out deputy Public Defender Dolores Mann, who was watching the hearing in court.

"And I want to win the lottery!" the judge snapped at Romero. "You don't run the system. Let me say this again: You don't run the system."

Romero and co-defendant Juan Antonio Amendano, now 25, of Morristown, were charged together on July 10, 2005, with sexually assaulting the victim, a citizen of Great Britain doing an internship in New Jersey. On Tuesday, Amendano accepted a 10-year bargain and pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault as an accomplice to Romero.

A chilling account

In a chilling version of events, Amendano -- an illegal immigrant from Ecuador --said he heard screams and choking sounds while heading home along Lafayette Avenue around 2 a.m. after a night of drinking. He said he followed the noise and saw a man sexually abusing a naked woman. Amendano said he complied with the stranger's request that he hold down the woman while he -- Romero -- continued his assault.

Amendano said he held the woman on her chest and stomach to keep her still but ran when he heard sirens. He was nabbed running away. Romero, police said, was caught in the act of assaulting the victim.

Romero told Falcone Wednesday that he still might plead guilty, but he didn't want to talk about a plea with Del Tufo. Del Tufo, meanwhile, said he had spoken numerous times to Romero, stressed the seriousness of the charges, but that Romero by Wednesday morning would no longer speak to him.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

This is what I would do

This is what I would do, if I were judge.

Put him back in his cell, no phone calls, no visitors. Don't tell him anything, let him sit there for 6 months, then ask him."

judge: "Do you want the first public defender we offered you?"
    defendant: "no"
    Judge: "Bailiff, take him back to his cell."

6 months later

judge: "Do you want the first public defender we offered you?"
    defendant: "no"
    Judge: "Bailiff, take him back to his cell."

ad nauseum, until he agrees to the first defender, if he doesn't, then he sits in his cell for the rest of his life.

US TAXPAYERS SHOULD NO BE SPENDING THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY ON (MOD EDIT) LIKE THIS. WE ARE IN CHARGE, NOT THE CRIMINALS.

"And I want to win the lottery!" the judge snapped at Romero. "You don't run the system. Let me say this again: You don't run the system."
    Gee, a judge with some common sense and a spine.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

I agree a total waste of taxpayers money, let him rot in his cell
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Honduran admits guilt in Morristown rape
    Posted by Margaret McHugh May 22, 2007 12:40PM
    Categories: Crime/Courts
    A 28-year-old man faces 20 years in state prison after admitting this afternoon that he pulled a woman off a Morristown street and raped her.

Joel A. Romero, an illegal immigrant from Honduras, pleaded guilty to aggravated sexual assault and kidnapping, both first-degree charges, for the July 10, 2005 attack.

In admitting his guilt, Romero began telling Superior Court Judge Joseph Falcone Jr. that the woman asked him for money to have sex. When Falcone stopped the proceeding, Romero broke down crying, and cradled his head in his hands.

"It's very difficult for me'' Romero said through a Spanish-language interpreter.

A few minutes later, Romero admitted that he pulled the woman into woods and raped her while another man held her down and fondled her breasts.

The prosecution will ask Falcone to sentence Romero to 30 years, but Falcone said he will give a maximum sentence of 20 years, including 17 years that Romero will be ineligible for parole.

The deal was struck after Romero was assigned his fifth attorney in the case. Last month, he pulled out of a deal that called for 24 years behind bars.

Post a comment | View comments (1)
    | | Permalink (Learn More)
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"It's very difficult for me'' Romero said through a Spanish-language interpreter.
    Poor illegal alien rapist. Tell it to somebody who gives a damn; I don't.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah what about the girl you raped asshole?

Romero told Falcone Wednesday that he still might plead guilty, but he didn't want to talk about a plea with Del Tufo. Del Tufo, meanwhile, said he had spoken numerous times to Romero, stressed the seriousness of the charges, but that Romero by Wednesday morning would no longer speak to him
    I'll damned if I was the DA.. NO DEALS... MAX Charges.
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

People in hell want ice water too.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Hope enjoys jail and being Big Bubba's biotch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast