Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal status gives Harvard grad few options

Illegal status gives Harvard grad few options
    By Maria Sacchetti, Globe Staff | July 27, 2009

Back in the concrete suburb of Los Angeles where he grew up, they call him “Harvard.’’ He is the pride of a neighborhood of children who grew up just like he did, bouncing from one crowded apartment to the next, sleeping on sofa cushions on the floor, wired to the constant threat of violence.

Alan was not just a street-smart kid in a baseball cap but a gifted student who breezed through math problems and quoted Milton and Dante. He was a voracious reader, the high school salutatorian, and last month, he graduated from Harvard with a degree in the humanities.

But now Alan has hit a dead end, because one night 19 years ago his mother led him across the Mexican border into California, making him an illegal immigrant. His only legal employment option as a college graduate now is to return to Mexico, where he has few contacts and little prospects.

He is among a growing number of students who have climbed to the country’s highest academic echelons only to find themselves mired in the rancorous national debate over illegal immigration.

“One of the biggest ironies was that I’m going to graduate from Harvard and not be able to do anything,’’ he said, sitting in one of Harvard’s leafy courtyards, fallen quiet for the summer, wearing an engraved class ring on his right hand. “Every class is like, you’re the leaders of tomorrow. They build you up . . . and you’re like, yeah, yeah, oh wait, they’re not talking about me.’’ He spoke to the Globe on the condition that his last name not be used.

Elite private universities such as Harvard have long been a haven for illegal immigrant children, granting them generous scholarships because they are ineligible for federal financial aid and struggle to pay nonresident tuition at public schools. Now the schools are increasingly pushing for legal residency for such students, under pressure from student groups and others working on their behalf.

In May, Harvard president Drew G. Faust endorsed federal legislation known as the Dream Act, which would allow an estimated 2.5 million illegal immigrant students to apply for residency, if they meet certain conditions. Stanford president John L. Hennessy came out in support of the measure last month, and Brown president Ruth Simmons in July.

This month, the American Council on Education, on behalf of 30 groups, including the Association of American Universities, said it “strongly’’ supported the act, which has been pending since 2001.

Illegal immigrant children are entitled to a free K-12 education under a 1982 Supreme Court decision, but that protection does not extend to college. In most states, illegal immigrants can enroll in college, but they are generally required to pay the pricier nonresident tuition at public colleges and are ineligible for federal financial aid.

Some of the strongest voices in support of the Dream Act are from college students themselves, who are saying it is unfair to educate illegal immigrants and then quietly abandon them after graduation.

“These are some of the best and brightest kids in the entire country,’’ said Scott Elfenbein, who formed a Harvard student group last year to aid undocumented students after his best friend in Miami, now a student at Georgetown, was nearly deported to Colombia. “Most are people you would want running some organization.’’

But others say the private schools are wrong to admit such students.

“I think we really need to step back and say why are private institutions, or any institutions allowed to enroll illegal aliens in the first place?’’ said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies in Washington. “Essentially they’re being trained for jobs that it’s illegal for them to take.’’

From the beginning Alan, the son of Mexican laborers, loved school. He was the only child in his family who did not cry on the first day of kindergarten. He devoured books, loved math, and enrolled in a program for gifted students.

He loved computers so much that he persuaded his mother to sell his video games to buy him a bare-bones computer from a JCPenney catalog.

“For me things just like, clicked,’’ Alan said.

Though she had a sixth-grade education, his mother monitored his report cards and made sure he got A’s and B’s.

But at home, things were tense, he recalled. His mother had three more children, and they moved a lot, often bunking with another family to save money. At one point, his entire family shared a single room.

“Teachers would say go home and find a study place,’’ he said. “I was always like, ‘Yeah right.’ There was no place I could work for school.’’

Worse, his father grew violent, and would beat his mother, he said. Eventually, the two separated.

Alan did not know that he was here illegally until high school, when he wanted to apply for a job. He brought applications home to fill out and asked, “Mom, what’s a Social Security number?’’

His mother winced and shook her head.

“I always knew I was born in Mexico,’’ Alan said. “But I never really knew the implications of all of it.’’

In high school, he enrolled in more than a dozen Advanced Placement classes, including English, European history, and calculus.

A teacher, who confirmed the details of Alan’s life for the Globe, said she and Alan joked that he was bound for Harvard.

A year later, when he told her he was here illegally, she realized that a private college like Harvard was Alan’s only hope. California is one of few states that allow students like Alan to pay the cheaper resident tuition at public colleges, but even that he could not afford.

With his teacher’s help, Alan filled out college applications. When Harvard accepted him on scholarship, they were thrilled. They thought the Dream Act would have passed by now.

“That’s what’s frustrating as a teacher,’’ the teacher said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “He did what he was supposed to do, and we did what we were supposed to do. And what’s the end result? Everything was against him. Everything. And he rose above it all.’’

At Harvard, Alan had his own desk and his own room for the first time in his life. He attended lectures by world leaders, and had professors who appeared on CNN. He sat in auditoriums and watched Alan M. Dershowitz and Steven Pinker, and took a class with a leading scholar on Buddhism.

Alan kept quiet about his legal status. His mother sent him $200 every few months, and he worked cash-only jobs such as flipping burgers to pay for T passes and other expenses.

But it was clear that he was different. While his classmates studied abroad in Chile, Japan, and China, Alan stayed behind, knowing that if he left the United States he could not get back in.

When throngs of classmates in business suits hit the job fairs seeking internships or careers on Wall Street or at nonprofits, Alan made up excuses for not going.

“I would say, ‘Oh, I missed the application deadline,’ ’’ he said. “There was no point.’’

But he celebrated like any other student this spring when he graduated, with a B average. His mother flew out for the ceremony. .

Now Alan sees Mexico as his only option. His mother is against it: Alan barely knows his relatives there, and he has no professional connections. It is unclear whether Mexico’s elite would welcome him, even if he is a Harvard man.

A maxim he learned at Harvard often runs through his mind: To whom much is given, much is expected. He has $15,000 in loans he intends to repay.

“I should be able to take care of myself,’’ he said. “I don’t want to go home and sit on my butt and watch SportsCenter. If I do that, then these last four years have been a waste.’’

www.boston.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GO HOME and take your parent(s) with you.
    I doubt that he was given the name Alan at birth.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

With his teacher’s help, Alan filled out college applications. When Harvard accepted him on scholarship, they were thrilled. They thought the Dream Act would have passed by now.
    So, he took a scholarship away from someone who could have put it to use. I agree with Dixie... go to Mexico, you've taken MORE than enough freebies.

I ask myself in this position what the Mexicans would allow me to do if the shoe were on the other foot and if I were in his position I would tutor. If he wants to do more than that he should head South there is a demand for people fluent in English with an American college degree.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Millions of American college graduates relocate every year for employment purposes. What's the problem?
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

But now Alan has hit a dead end, because one night 19 years ago his mother led him across the Mexican border into California, making him an illegal immigrant. His only legal employment option as a college graduate now is to return to Mexico, where he has few contacts and little prospects.
    He graduated from Harvard (displacing an AMERICAN student), so he should be able to make his own opportunities in mexico. I'm sure he'd have no problem getting contacts, after all, he's a Harvard man.
    "

Lets see..this guy has a degree from arguably one of the best universities on this planet, probably speaks fluent spanish and he's crying because he has no opportunities???

Are you F'ing kidding me!! Has he tried using the Harvard placement office? They have Harvard grads all over this world that would give this guy a shot. Heck, Didn't Vincente Fox graduate from Harvard. Also Juan Hernandez? You could get a job in the mexican government... no problem!

This isn't about lack of opportunities! This is about pushing an amnesty agenda through a SOB story...as usual!

Quit crying and start sending out resumes like everyone else has to do!! This country has given you more than enough opportunity!

I wish I had your problems!

I think that instead of crying about his situation, Alan should turn his anger towards his mother. She was the criminal who brought him into the country illegally. You know, the mother with a sixth grade education and 4 children. How about blaming his wife-beater father?

This guy got an incredible education at one of the best universities in the world and got out with only $15,000 in loans? That’s incredible! He got the scholarships because he was an illegal alien. How absurd is that? Do you think legal children would have such an advantage? I have friends who have college loans that they’ll be paying for the rest of their lives. No sympathy here.

Take your degree with you to Mexico and try to make your country better.
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

Tuition to rise 3.5 percent at Harvard for 2009-10
    Need-based aid to jump 18 percent to $147 million
    Undergraduate tuition at Harvard will increase 3.5 percent to $33,696 for academic year 2009-10. Need-based scholarship aid is expected to grow to a record $147 million, an 18 percent increase over what was planned for the current academic year. The total package (tuition plus room, board, and student services fee) will be $48,868, a 3.5 percent increase over last year.
    So this guy graduates from Harvard owing only $15,000( because he was an illegal invader) grand and he's whining about that as well!

I cannot even believe the paper had the gall to run this story! Where's the integrity?

Mexico does have companies that do business internationally. Many of them export to the USA. He SHOULD explore the possibility of getting a good job with a Mexican company. Who knows, he could become a big powerful CEO and buy up some corporate America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast