Thread: I'm a Racist

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

I'm a Racist

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6308434

you have got to read this article and
    then check out the posts in response to it

colorado voices
    I'm a racist?
    By Billie Louden
    Article Last Updated: 07/05/2007 11:26:53 PM MDT

I am a black woman who grew up in rural Oklahoma, where train tracks separated cultures, and I was one of only two blacks in my senior class. I have been a soldier in the anti-American Middle East, and I have felt the isolation of being a conservative Republican instead of the liberal Democrat I am expected to be. Currently, I sport a badge of authority.

Because of these life experiences, I thought I had been called every name in the book except the one my parents gave me. But when a co-worker called me a racist, I was absolutely unprepared.

The accusation was made largely because of a sticker on the back of my truck. The simple statement "Stop illegal immigration" has earned me angry looks and obscene gestures in traffic. I have watched as cars rush to pull up beside the "redneck." Their scowls often turn to bewilderment when they spot me behind the wheel.

My Hispanic co-worker played the ace-in-the-hole race card by insisting only Latinos are being targeted for immigration reform. When I pointed out my sticker mentioned no race in particular, he stated, "It doesn't matter because everyone knows who you are referring to."

At that moment, I realized just how much irrational emotional feelings and personal agendas have alarmingly snuffed out common sense in this country. From top lawmakers in Washington to so-called sanctuary cities, everyone has succumbed to massive pressure from illegal factions.

Let us define common sense. It is the natural instinct that compels us to the logical thing when faced with an issue shrouded in smoke screens.

Let us ignore tear-jerker tales of individual tragedies that are designed to pull our heartstrings, and realize they are smoke and mirrors hiding the truth, while instilling guilt about feelings of unease with the sieve our borders have become.

Illegal immigrants in this country, like any other criminal, have an excuse for why they committed a crime. But if the tale is sad enough, should we forgive them for their original criminal act because they decide to behave? Should we allow them to take jobs away from law-abiding Americans and call them noble for doing so? How about we offer to pay their medical bills and send their children to college? If, in the course of providing these things, we find ourselves going broke, and we say to them, "Enough is enough, we cannot ignore your crimes any longer because it only encourages more criminals," should we be surprised when these violators take to the streets demanding they be allowed to continue the way of life they have become accustomed to?

When illegals squawk about how we can't survive without their presence, do we dare remind them there are plenty legal folks - and others who are waiting in line to be legal - who are eager to help us out?

When anyone points out these observations, they are lambasted, shouted down, and slapped with the feared moniker "racist," a word that has ruined lives, ended careers and been the gas-filled card thrown on blazing fires of conflicts between majority and minority.

Racism today can never measure up to the raw beginnings and bloody history of the word as it pertains to our country. It began with slavery, evolved into lynchings, oppression and separate but never equal laws. It culminated with marches and dissent demanding the equality all citizens were promised in the Constitution. But the key word here is "citizen."

The righteous marches led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. during the bloody turmoil of the civil rights era, should never be compared to the audacious, foreign-flag-waving parades of illegals and their sympathizers being carried out in American streets.

Politicians pandering for future votes, and much of the media, overwhelmingly sympathize with the flaunting of our laws, and assure the "undocumented" protesters their demands are reasonable.

I am a fighter and I refuse to be bullied. I have earned, the hard way, the right to display my opinion. If my "Stop illegal immigration" sticker offends you, maybe you should focus on the one next to it that states, "My son is a United States Marine." Then hopefully you will understand that sacrifice and fighting for country runs deep in my family.

Billie Louden (loudenview@aol.com) is a deputy sheriff and an Army veteran.

Login | Sign UpArticle Comments (14 comments)

» View all this article's comments

Comment:

If you're not registered with our site, you will be asked to do so. It's quick (it takes about 30 seconds) and we only require your email and first name. You are responsible for the content you post. Comments that include profanity, personal attacks or any other inappropriate material are prohibited. By using our site you agree to our ground rules and our terms of use.

Well spoken, Ms. Louden. My family came to this land 400 years ago. My forefathers were Spanish and since then we have been citizens of Spain, Mexico, Texas and America. And once we got here, we never moved!

Those big mouth Latinos are not speaking on my behalf!
    I want the illegals to be gone now, too! They are hurting our economy in many ways. Beyond the obvious, what do you think the impact of all the billions of dollars that is sent to latin america every year would be if it stayed here, where it was earned? If they LOVED AMERICA, like they say, why don't they show it by learning english and filing tax returns and keeping their money here.
    Posted by marie123 at 8:44 AM on July 8
    Report Abuse

unfortunately, many "redneck" types are so adamant about illegal immigration because they are racists. People can deny it all they want, but rural areas are breeding grounds for racism
    Posted by Gregg B at 9:29 AM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Is "Wonder Woman" racist too?
    IS "WONDER-WOMAN" RACIST TOO? Linda Alvarez, former Denver SBA executive and current Qwest board member, proclaimed herself, as Wonder-Woman. She also publicly stated that blacks were getting their fair share of federal government contracts. President Bush must have heard her "lies", because he repeated them, when spoke to the black business owners at the Black Expo. Latinos, both legal and illegal, are the preferred minorities (jobs and contracts) throughout all Front Range regional federal agencies, state and local governments, and their corrupt contractors. I can't overcome Alvarez's clout whether its with the Denver SBA or Qwest. She has even trained Antionette Fuentes-Knapp (Qwest EO attorney), to deny disabled Vietnam veterans their federal job and contracting preferences. The $14 billion in federal funds disbursed in the T-REX, Fas, Tracks, and Fitzsimons redevelopment projects, has been Heaven for Latinos and whites, and He-- for black disabled Vietnam veterans. While Rev. Al Sharpton was apologizing to Mormons, they were stealing black vets' federal contracting and job benefits at Fitz (blood-loot). The nerve of these "freak-a-zoids" to call me a "black devil". I just can't thank Alvarez, Mormons, Fuentes-Knapp, and Denver SBA enuff.
    Posted by jjtenant at 9:31 AM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Dear Billie,

I was thrilled to read your column. I am shocked but pleasantly surprised that the Denver Post printed it.

With your impeccable "credentials" as a "minority", just think how the rest of us feel when we are called "racist" and we have no such credentials.

I am a Jewish, female, Republican and I am called a racist too.

You speak for a great many of us, whether they have "credentials" or not!
    Sometimes it appears people have lost all sense of logic. Thanks for making an attempt to introduce some!

K. Kat
    Denver
    Posted by KAYKAT73 at 9:46 AM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Thank you to the Denver Post for showing unusual restraint (for you) and not removing the question mark from the column headline.
    Posted by gerard at 10:05 AM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Absolutely wonderful column.

My father's brother married a Cherokee - and during 25 years in the military could not be stationed in the US South because that was considered miscegenation (interbreeding of different races). On the other hand, Oklahoma (where my aunt & undle retired to a reservation) is one of the few states which doesn't actively support Cinco de Mayo, since their history indicates that more Native Americans on both continents died because of Spaniards than because of other Europeans.

Playing the race card by Hispanics - who happen to make up 80-85% of the illegals in this country - is hypocritical, when countries south of the border discriminate against blacks (and the darker one is, the more discrimination they experience). They conveniently neglect to mention the fact that Mexico for the past several years has been the home country of most LEGAL immigrants to this country - and most of us who are fed up with the governmental dithering on illegal immigration are not screaming to close the border to legal immigrants.

I understand that discrimination exists in this country (take a look at Congress or the board of any major corporation and then convince me that country isn't still ruled by middle-aged white men), but the race & card gets played far too often to be meaningful. Aren't those screaming "racism" more than willing to discriminate against the 4-8 million folks who are waiting to come here legally - including other Hispanics? Or is it OK to discriminate against them because they aren't Hispanic?
    Posted by mrfxx at 11:30 AM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Most of the anti-illegal crowd are not racist, but some are
    Gregg, again you and I agree. I also agree with rest of the posts here. The majority of the anti-illegal immigration crowd is not racist?they have legitimate concerns about our nation. But there is no question some are racist. About a year ago someone wrote a LTTE espousing illegals and their "third-world values" are ruining America. And your first-world values are what? Hate and intolerance? That, ladies and gentlemen, is a bigoted statement. I live in small town on the W slope and I see and hear it often enough. These guys are doing the anti-illegal immigration movement a big disservice and you others need to call these racists out and separate yourselves from their hate.

Another point raised by the anti-immigration folks that I have a hard time rationalizing is that people shouldn't be speaking Spanish and we shouldn't be printing Spanish. You should have seen the outcry when our local paper decided to print two pages in Spanish every week. You would have thought they printed satanic doctrine. Um, can someone please explain to me what the problem is here? Sure, speaking and reading Spanish could give immigrants less incentive to learn English. It could be maintained that writing things in both language actually makes it easier for Spanish speakers to learn English. Does it really hurt you that bad to press "1" on an automated telephone call? Why does it hurt you that items in the grocery store are printed in two languages? Why does it chafe you so when you hear Spanish? Are you such a delusionally paranoid that English will go away in the US or the world? Ha! Half the world is speaking English and more and more people are every day. Besides, boy, wouldn't it just be a grave travesty if American children actually learn two languages. ?This is America, we speak English!? is all you can come up with. Can someone explain to me why this isn't just xenophobia and intolerance?
    Posted by niko at 12:12 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

well put!
    Great article, a side that the media never shows us. I am also one of the million americans who is considered a racist because I am against the taking over of our country. The best part is, the most racist people I have ever met are mexicans. I work construction and if you put a black on a mexican crew, they will just drop their tools and leave. They absolutly Hate blacks for whatever reason, I don't know. Where is this in the media?
    Posted by beerock at 1:09 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Re: well put!
    [quote:eb55c632f9="beerock"]Great article, a side that the media never shows us. I am also one of the million americans who is considered a racist because I am against the taking over of our country. The best part is, the most racist people I have ever met are mexicans. I work construction and if you put a black on a mexican crew, they will just drop their tools and leave. They absolutly Hate blacks for whatever reason, I don't know. Where is this in the media?[/quote:eb55c632f9]I agree!! I have just ordered my own bumper sticker and t-shirts

I can't wait to get them. I don't care what color you are! I just care if you are welcomed in our country legally!
    Posted by T.L.C at 4:59 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

I am not hurt by pressing 1 for english or by the spanish signs in grocery stores. I am not chafed when I hear spanish being spoken. I do not fear that english will go away. Um, it's simple, Niko. It's not fair to all the asian, european, middle-eastern folks who also come here who do not speak english or spanish. What do you think they think about catering to a select group of immigrants? When you hear the statement "This is American, we speak english" it's because Americans should treat everyone fairly. And we cannot be united if we cannot understand one another.
    Posted by dks at 6:50 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Unequal World
    The real issue of immigrants is that the world is very unequal in opportunities available and the quality of life that it brings. It is fortunate that some people were born in the US and not in a "third" world country because they've won the "lottery" to be a citizen in the land of opportunities.

If we really want to solve the immigration issue, the world needs to be made more equal. Until that happens, people from poorer nations will always find some way to enter, legally or illegally, the place where opportunities are deemed plentiful. After all, aren't we all looking for a better life?
    Posted by SR at 8:43 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

The mexican mantra
    All of the laws should be enforced equally, regardless of race, religion, and/or national origin. That is with the exception of mexicans, and they should be above the law and exempt from the law. And the only purpose that a tonto gringo serves is to pay taxes to support the superior and noble mexican.

Anyone who disagrees with this philosophy is Xenophobic and a Racist.

Pancho

All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.
    George Orwell, Animal Farm, ch.10, 1945

http://www.predatoryaliens.com/
    Posted by Pancho3 at 9:20 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

I am Hispanic so am I a racist too? No nation with two languages has ever survived. We must follow the rule of law. The sense of entitlement that the illegal aliens display is truly troubling. I applaud Billie Louden for writing what so many of us feel. Our American culture is lost bit by bit. Secure our borders and enforce our laws are the necessary first steps.
    Posted by sw at 9:20 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

Hear Hear!
    It's obvious your bumper sticker was referring to the British college students who come to America to study at our Universities then overstay their visas.
    If they want to drink our tea, they need to speak our English.
    Jme.
    Posted by somejme at 9:22 PM on July 8
    Report Abuse

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_6308434
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The righteous marches led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. during the bloody turmoil of the civil rights era, should never be compared to the audacious, foreign-flag-waving parades of illegals and their sympathizers being carried out in American streets.
    She's absolutely right! It really angers me when the illegals try to compare their demands for "rights" they don't deserve and haven't earned, with the civil rights movement of the 60's. There's absolutely no comparison whatsoever.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

They play the race card because they have no logical argument to support illegal immigration.......period, end of subject.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Racism = Last ditch excuse when you are losing an argument. Where can I get me one of them them there stop illegal immigration bumper stickers ?

Johnny
    <div class="entry-content">
    <div class="snap_preview">&ldquo;To the German Commander, Nuts! A.C. McAuliffe, Commanding.&rdquo;
    General A.C. McAuliffe
    </div>
    </div>

Thanks for the post Jim, I couldn't help but leave a little zinger over there for the "Gregg B" types lining up to trash Billie's comments. I hope they don't take it too personally!

Thank you Billie for your expression of honesty, tempered by morals, refined in the fire of ethics, and displayed in a casing of common sense!
    I'm saddened that even after the enlightened message you put forward, some of the festering cancerous tumors on the buttocks of America still try to spin your words counteclockwise in hopes of infecting other members of the American social body! I've learned through careful observation that (as you may have implied to a degree) the one who screams the loudest about "racism" is usually the one who is in fact, most racist! It's sort of like the kid who used to sneak up in a crowd and discreetly relieve his flatulence, then hold his nose and point at the guy next to him!