Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant advocates say new law unfair to Latinos

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... id16m.html

Immigrant advocates say new law unfair to Latinos

By Christine Willmsen

Seattle Times staff reporter

E-mail article
    Search Most e-mailed
    Most read
    RSS
    Immigrant advocates in Seattle see a new law designed to prevent illegal immigrants from getting driver's licenses as an attack on Latino communities across the state.

More than 50 people crowded the steps of St. Mary's Church in Seattle yesterday to learn more about the effects of the REAL ID act, which was signed into law by President Bush last week.

Under the anti-terrorism law, federal agencies will not accept driver's licenses from Washington and nine other states that issue licenses to illegal immigrants.

Jorge Quiroga, a board member of the Committee for General Amnesty and Social Justice, said the government continues to attack illegal immigrants.

"We're easy prey for the government and its economical problems," said Quiroga. "We do the work that nobody wants to do. We're the scapegoat."

He also urged Gov. Christine Gregoire not to implement the law, which was sponsored by House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis.

It's unclear where Gregoire stands on the law, which will go into effect in 2008. Should she not implement the law, then Washington state licenses would not be accepted as identification to board an airplane or enter a federal building or park.

"This sensible legislation is aimed at preventing another 9/11-type attack by disrupting terrorist travel and bolstering our border security," Sensenbrenner said in a press release. "Giving state driver's licenses to anyone, regardless of whether they are here legally or illegally, is an open invitation for terrorists and criminals to exploit."

Maribel Martinez, originally from Mexico, said the law will have long-lasting effects on everyone and will do little to prevent another terrorist attack. She declined to give her immigration status.

"It will create a second class with some people being identified as undocumented individuals, which has a connotation of being illegal or criminal," said Martinez, 29, of Seattle. "My biggest fear is that people are going to be targets. There's a strong sentiment against immigrants."

Maria Fernandez, president of the Committee for General Amnesty and Social Justice, told those who attended yesterday's meeting not to feel alone.

"Don't feel abandoned. Together we have to fight," she said.

Hilary Stern, director of CASA Latina, an organization that helps Latinos find work, said safety is another issue for everyone, specifically on the roads.

Since illegal immigrants will not be able to get licenses, they won't be able to carry vehicle insurance, she said.

"They aren't going to stop driving because they can't get a driver's license, so if they get in an accident they will be uninsured," she said.

Stern said another effect of the REAL ID act could be an expansion in the underground market for forged documents.

Re: Immigrant advocates say new law unfair to Latinos

"It will create a second class with some people being identified as undocumented individuals, which has a connotation of being illegal or criminal," said Martinez, 29, of Seattle. "My biggest fear is that people are going to be targets. There's a strong sentiment against immigrants."
    OMG! I think this one needs the DUH award for this month!

They will be targets, targets for deportation!

I've got to take a break! This one absolutely sent me over the edge and us NOT TO BE BELIEVED...............IT WAS QUOTED!!!

How much money is the CATHOLIC CHURCH/CHARITIES collecting for doing this work?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Immigrant advocates say new law unfair to Latinos

Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    OMG! I think this one needs the DUH award for this month!

They will be targets, targets for deportation!
    Idiots!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn