Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant college aid plan in works

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbc ... le?AID=/20

It is the dream of every parent.

To see their children go off to college, earning an education that will provide an opportunity for a better life.

But for an estimated 55,000 to 85,000 Connecticut residents, it is only a dream. They are the undocumented immigrants living in the state, ineligible for any financial aid -- and forced to pay out-of-state tuition rates at state public universities and colleges. Something they cannot afford.

"We talk about the dream all the time," said James Landherr, curriculum and instruction director at Norwich Free Academy. "And these parents are no different than many parents who want nothing more than to have their kids have a better life. They came to this country in the first place with an expectation that there is more opportunity and a better chance at a better life."

For the second time in two years, legislation is pending in the General Assembly that would enable undocumented students to attend state schools at the in-state cost. Last week, the legislature's Higher Education and Employment Advancement Committee held a public hearing on the measure in front of a standing-room only audience.

Those involved with undocumented immigrants are reluctant to talk specifically or identify them for fear such exposure could put them at risk.

Lee-Ann Gomes of Norwich Social Services said young people are paying for "the sins of their parents."

"We are just wasting talent," Gomes said. "I know of this one case, an 18-year-old high school boy, whose parents came to this country illegally. He had his whole life in front of him, and now he'll probably never end up living up to this full potential."

The measure has wide support among organizations that assist immigrants and education officials, including David Carter, state university chancellor and former president of Eastern Connecticut State University.

Needs 1 more vote
    But it doesn't have enough committee support. As of Friday, nine members -- all Democrats -- have committed to supporting the bill. It will require 10 votes to clear the committee. The proposal in 2005 made it out of committee, but was defeated by seven votes on the House floor.

"I think we're in a much better position today than we were in two years ago," state Rep. Walter Pawelkiewicz, D-Windham, said. "Two years ago, there was a feeling that the federal government was going to correct this and there was no need for the state to act on its own."

But the national debate about immigration has grown more contentious as Congress debates proposals to limit undocumented workers coming into the country. One major sticking point is whether to allow those already here to become naturalized citizens. Those opposed to the state effort say that should be the first step before allowing them to use the state's educational system.

"They're in this country illegally, and something like this would only encourage more to come in illegally," said Janice Schubel of Salem. "We should be helping those kids who are citizens first."

"I think we first need to get them in the direction of becoming documented first," her husband, John, said. "And then go forward from there."

But Pawelkiewicz said that becomes a deterrent for many. It puts them and their families at risk of being deported by identifying themselves as undocumented. It also can delay or curtail a young person from continuing their education.

"If it didn't take five years to become a naturalized citizen, then I could support that," Pawelkiewicz said. "But every statistic I've seen clearly shows that once you stop that (educational) process, few ever go back and pick it up."

Barbara Richards of New Haven is spearheading an effort to secure the necessary support. In e-mails, she is urging community activists across the state to contact lawmakers and ask for their support.

"I do it mostly because of the kids," she said. "These young people are hard-working students who get good grades and then have their hopes dashed because they can't afford to go to college. It's so sad."

Economic benefit
    Pawelkiewicz, a naturalized citizen, said the proposal is important to ensure the state's economy remains strong. Too many young people are leaving the state after finishing school, creating a void in the work force. He said it's also a matter of fairness. The students are residents, and their parents are paying state and federal taxes, even if they are undocumented workers.

Ten states have enacted similar measures.

The proposed bill, if enacted, would make students eligible for the in-state tuition rate.

The difference is considerable. In-state tuition at the University of Connecticut is $8,362 versus $21,562 for out-of-state. At state universities, the difference is roughly $6,000 a year vs. $14,000.

"I have appreciation for the effort to want to further their education," said state Rep. Pamela Sawyer, R-Bolton, a member of the legislative committee who has not decided how she'll vote. "But I've also heard from a lot of my constituents who are very angry about this, and resent that these undocumented immigrants have not followed the process."

But Landherr said the opposition is based on a false premise.

"People look at this like there's not enough to go around for everyone, and if we let them have this, there won't be enough for them," he said. "But that's not the fact. This doesn't give them money for college, it can help make it more affordable for them. And it's not a situation where you're taking a spot away from someone to do that."

Reach Ray Hackett at 425-4225 or rhackett@norwichbulletin.com

The Norwich Bulletin has to use the PC word "undocumented"...why not Illegal Alien? after all, that is what it's called.
    Leave it to the Democrats to spend our money. When legal citizens do not catch a break on their own childrens college education, why should we have to pay for a Illegal Alien's tuition break?

Note the comments to this article:
    http://forums.norwichbulletin.com/viewtopic.php?t=5260

MW
    I'm sure North Carolina will be attempting to pass the same legislation (in-state tuition for illegals) again very soon.

I believe William and ALIPAC had a big hand in stopping them last time, can it be done again?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I do it mostly because of the kids," she said. "These young people are hard-working students who get good grades and then have their hopes dashed because they can't afford to go to college. It's so sad."
    We have our own citizens who make good grades and can't afford college either.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    crazybird wrote:

We have our own citizens who make good grades and can't afford college either.
    Boy, ain't that the truth! I've got three in college right now and they're about to send me to the poor house.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Not only have illegal aliens taken american jobs now they want to take our places in American colleges at the cheapest tuition. If illegals get in-state tuition, all children regardless should have the same benefit. Once again discrimination against Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    I believe William and ALIPAC had a big hand in stopping them last time, can it be done again?
    Is there a cow in Texas, MW?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    had_enuf wrote:

Is there a cow in Texas, MW?
    You mean Gov. Perry and the border mayors aren't the only living critter spreading manure in Texas?