Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant groups counter raids with hotline

Monday, August 6, 2007
    Immigrant groups counter raids with hotline
    Coalition wants to notify people where and when immigration raids will take place, and create a support system for deportees.
    By KIMBERLY EDDS
    The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA – Responding to a refusal by city leaders to declare the city a sanctuary for illegal immigrants, more than a dozen people gathered outside City Hall Monday night to denounce recent immigration raids, accusing federal officials of "terrorizing" immigrant communities and breaking up families.

A coalition of local immigrant rights groups, including the Orange County Alliance for Immigrants Rights and the Front Against the Raids, announced a planned program to create a hotline that will notify people where and when immigration raids will take place. The program would also coordinate a support system for the families of deportee targets.

"We want to have a more organized effort to counter these attacks," said Jaime Conteras, a 20-year-old Filipino immigrant who now lives in Santa Ana. "We cannot let people trample on our rights."

During five days of raids in June, 175 people in Orange County were arrested on suspected immigration violations. The raids arrested 27 suspected criminals, including a man wanted for murder and a convicted child molester. Santa Ana was one of the targeted cities.

"I call it terror because that is what a small child feels when armed men break into their homes and take away their parents," said immigration activist Khang Tran, 28.

The raids and arrests were based on "solid leads and information," said Lori Haley, spokeswoman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Similar to programs being put together in Los Angeles County, organizers said the hotline – in which volunteers will track details and update callers about ICE raids - will also direct relatives of detainees and deportees to legal assistance, along with information on what to do in case of a raid.

The activists urged people to call the hotline at 714-973-7806 to report immigration raids, detentions, missing people or any abusive power by ICE or local law enforcement.

"When people are arrested on an immigration violation, they have due process," Haley said. "If they feel like they are in this country legally, they can make their case to the immigration judge."

"Immigration fugitives have already had their due process, have been ordered out of the country and they've chosen not to comply," Haley said.

Contact the writer: 714-796-7829 or kedds@ocregister.com

http://www.ocregister.com/news/immigrat ... anta-haley
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

"We cannot let people trample on our rights."
    The only right you have is the right to leave the Country on your own.

"We want to have a more organized effort to counter these attacks," said Jaime Conteras, a 20-year-old Filipino immigrant who now lives in Santa Ana. "We cannot let people trample on our rights."
    His rights? What about our rights as legal citizens? Wow, this story is completely ridiculous and slanted. Shocking, really.

The raids arrested 27 suspected criminals, including a man wanted for murder and a convicted child molester.
    And this is what they're trying to protect with their hotline.

That's absolutely disgusting... enough to make me hurl up my breakfast.

We need to get the number and start calling them several times a day with fictitious reports of up and coming raids that are not in the works just to keep them on their toes and totally confused and running about like headless chickens.

The Eventually , no one listens to the boy that cries wolf every day.

The first place ICE should raid is where people are manning the hot line.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Somehow this seems very illegal - and actionable.

Back when I had TV, I watched a program on FSTV (I know, but you do learn things) about local radio stations. These were staions with only a 3 miles radius. The story was about some Mexican 'immigrants' building their own station and the government issued them a license for it.

The story was the immigrants were just usuing it to keep each other informed 'about the weather'. ??????????
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

: lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalododger
    We need to get the number and start calling them several times a day with fictitious reports of up and coming raids that are not in the works just to keep them on their toes and totally confused and running about like headless chickens.

The Eventually , no one listens to the boy that cries wolf every day.
    This is a great idea but would need to be done by people who speak fluent spanish.I think it will work !!
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Given their hatred for the law and our people I am willing to bet that any one calling their hot line with an accent from any other country and particularly a middle eastern country will be able to get them going with the warning.

Just tell them Saddam was your grandpa. That will work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast