Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant groups protest raids

http://link.toolbot.com/manassasjm.com/56205

Immigrant groups protest raids
    By JACLYN PITTS
    jpitts@potomacnews.com
    Saturday, January 20, 2007

Local immigrants' rights groups say they have been working for at least three years to build a working relationship between the immigrant community and police.

But after this week, that relationship has been destroyed due to recent illegal immigration raids, said Nancy Lyall, legal coordinator for the Woodbridge Workers Committee.

Lyall and other representatives of the committee and Mexicans Without Borders, another local immigrants' rights group, gathered Friday at Ricos Tacos Moyas restaurant in Woodbridge to denounce what they called illegal immigration raids at Quantico Marine Corps base and a Woodbridge apartment complex.

Federal authorities arrested 18 people on immigration-related charges early Thursday morning after an investigation into a construction company that allegedly arranged for illegal immigrants to work on Quantico Marine Corps base. The company was run from an apartment at the Chesapeake Apartments complex in Woodbridge, according to federal court documents.

"These acts are creating terror in the immigration community ... and we want to say we are strongly opposed to allowing local police to participate in [U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement]," Juarez said.

Both county police and Manassas City police have publicly opposed training their officers for federal immigration law enforcement.

Salvador Roldan Mendez of the Woodbridge Workers Committee emphasized that many members of the immigrant community are afraid to come forward to police, even if they are victims of crime, for fear of being investigated for immigration status.

"We are only good workers and looking out for the good of our families, and we need the support of police to be protected," Mendez said.

Lyall mentioned the recent decision by the Prince William-Manassas Regional Jail Board to endorse ICE training for jail officers, which she thinks will also continue to induce fear throughout the Hispanic community.

The ICE program is designed to identify illegal immigrants who have been involved in serious or violent crimes such as human smuggling, organized crime, criminal gang activity, money laundering, narcotics or smuggling.

The jail board voted unanimously Wednesday to approve a memorandum of understanding with ICE.

Lyall said she fears people will be picked up off the streets for no criminal reason and will be forced to produce identification or be taken into custody.

"I feel this is contrary to public safety and will severely jeopardize public safety," Lyall said.

FROM THEIR WEBSITE
    http://www.mexicanossinfronteras.org/wwc/index.htm

Mexicans Without Borders Is a network of community based organizations in process of registration like a 501 (c) non profit organization

Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

MW
    Salvador Roldan Mendez of the Woodbridge Workers Committee emphasized that many members of the immigrant community are afraid to come forward to police, even if they are victims of crime, for fear of being investigated for immigration status.
    These pro-illegal immigrant groups need to come up with some different talking points, I'm getting a little sick of their tired excuses for supporting illegal immigration, open borders, and criminal activity.

ALIPAC, would it be possible to add to the emoticons list? A puking emoticon would have been appropriate in this situation.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Well good if their scared it must be working,If they are here legally they don't have to be afraid of the police or ice.
    These people are to much, they don't even want us arresting the criminals, I just don't get it, don't they even give a darn about the safety of their own families, well chances are this will hit home one day and then their opinon will change, until then to heck with everyone elses family, talk about self centered
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

April
    MW wrote:

ALIPAC, would it be possible to add to the emoticons list? A puking emoticon would have been appropriate in this situation.

I am sick and tired of hearing the same story regarding about police and illegal immigrant relations. Here in South Florida the illegals calls police if they have been victimized. Many get beaten during robberies and police get called and women victims of domestic violence often call as well as they are well aware that under those circumstances they will get a temporary green card and can apply for a permanent one.
    As for being scared some are and hide after ICE raids but many of those who overstayed their visas are bold enough to drive with an expired sticker on their car tags as they are now illegal and can't renew. I can't believe how many of those I see on the road.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"These acts are creating terror in the immigration community ... and we want to say we are strongly opposed to allowing local police to participate in [U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement]," Juarez said

Whoah! Hold on. We wouldn't want to create terror for criminals that break the law. Maybe the cops can invite them over for dinner so they can bond.

Quote Originally Posted by April
    MW wrote:

I've got one I'll be happy to donate.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

April
    had_enuf wrote:

I've got one I'll be happy to donate.
    That would be a wonderful contribution had_ enuf, there would certainly be a lot of us using it.