Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant haters rough up the pope

This is sooooo LA Times.
    ~~

Comments by Benedict during his U.S. visit unleash a firestorm of misinformation about L.A. and its Special Order 40.
    Tim Rutten

April 23, 2008

There's nothing quite like the immigration debate to bring the rude beasts slouching out of our politics' rhetorical fever swamp. Even so, it's hard not to be taken aback by some of the last few days' reaction to Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the United States.

When it came to immigration, the pontiff was hardly a firebrand. On his way to Washington, the pope told reporters that he hoped the U.S. government would consider the importance of allowing immigrant families to stay together. In a private meeting with President Bush, he reportedly urged immigration policies that take cognizance of basic human rights. And Benedict told American bishops that he hoped they'd be mindful of immigrants' historical contributions to U.S. society and, therefore, that they'd be welcoming to today's newcomers.

That was enough. The most rabid anti-immigrant demagogues instantly began ranting about Benedict's "intrusion" into American politics. What's more, oddly, many of them linked their objections to Los Angeles' Special Order 40, which seems to have become the bloody shirt in the immigration controversy.

It's not too surprising that one of the pontiff's most vocal critics was the poor man's Howard Beale, CNN personality Lou Dobbs. He's made something of a specialty of bashing the Catholic hierarchy in recent years, as part of his pseudo-populist campaign for ratings. Dobbs charged Benedict with "mixing religion and politics ... in many ways insulting our country, talking about the need to be welcoming. ... I really don't appreciate the bad manners of a guest telling me in this country and my fellow citizens what to do."

Well, there you go, though the pope got off easy compared with L.A. civic leaders, whom Dobbs blasted after an earlier -- and totally misleading -- report on Special Order 40 and the case of Jamiel Shaw II, a young man allegedly shot to death by an illegal immigrant who is a gang member. Dobbs called city officials "liars" and singled out Police Chief Bill Bratton, whose defense of Special Order 40 -- which puts certain restrictions on when police can inquire about a suspect's immigration status -- the broadcaster called "irresponsible" and "disgusting politics."

"And I think every one of you in the city of Los Angeles, running that city, supporting a sanctuary city and trying to excuse what happened to that family, I think it is contemptible," said Dobbs.

This despite that Special Order 40 played no role in young Jamiel Shaw's murder; nor has anyone in city government "excused" his killing; nor is L.A. a "sanctuary city." Illegal immigrants are deported from here by federal authorities every day. But why stumble over facts when there's a ratings-winning rant to be had?

Meanwhile, Rep Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.), who tried and failed to build a presidential candidacy on anti-immigrant sentiment, accused Benedict of "faith-based marketing [that] may have less to do with spreading the Gospel than [with] recruiting new members of the church."

Right-wing blogger Michelle Malkin took the same line but dragged L.A.'s Cardinal Roger Mahony in as well. The pontiff's "primary concerns are not the sovereignty and security of our country," she wrote. "Open borders benefit Catholic churches looking to fill their pews and collection baskets. The Vatican and American bishops, led by radical L.A. Cardinal Roger Mahony, have long promoted immigration anarchy and lawlessness. ... Question: Have you heard a single Catholic leader express compassion or outrage about the murder of young Jamiel Shaw in Roger Mahony's sanctuary of Los Angeles by an illegal alien gang member?"

One could go on quoting from some of the more sinister anti-immigrant websites, but all this is argument in which points are linked by something other than logical inference -- mainly spleen and vitriol. The odd thing is that if anyone could have taken offense, it might have been the pope, because on the very day he discussed immigration with Bush, federal agents raided poultry processing plants in five states and arrested more than 300 mostly Mexican immigrants -- the bulk of them presumably Catholic -- whose only real crime was working without papers. As Mahony said, "Obviously the Holy Father is not encouraging people to do anything illegal," but the raids "do not serve as a deterrent. They simply create fear and uncertainty in our communities."

There's radical sentiment for you.

What's going on here is more than a distasteful curiosity. With a mayoral election just over the horizon, there are all sorts of people who would like nothing better than to watch this city fracture like glass under the hammer of a demagogic -- and fundamentally misleading -- debate over immigration and Special Order 40. The people of Los Angeles are going to be asked to make a fundamental decision on whose voice they trust.

www.latimes.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    What kind of Goony Goo Goo, Extreme Left Liberal is this man... is he insane or just smoking crack cocaine on an hourly basis
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The title of this 'article' speaks volumes........"Immigrant haters"--that is slander and propoganda.

Tolerance only goes so far and the only person who likes a doormat is a person with dirty feet.

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
    Winston Churchill
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'll never forget when this reporter, Tim Rutten attended a Save Our State vs. Home Depot in Glendale, CA. This guy looked petrified by the hordes of screaming reconquistas and brown supremacists and their disgusting racist behavior. This fat dope was terrified! I could hardly wait to read his story the next day. Boy was I surprised. It was the same kind of crap that you just read.

From what I read it looks like the liberals a upset again over all the wrong things- again.

Liberals are retro-moving backward into a worse state, upside down fools.

You know a liberal when you see someone with their head stuck in the sand with their butt sticking out in the air and a sign that says please kick me.

You know a liberal then you see someone walking backwards in a trance with a sign that says I hate America, I give up.

I love Lou Dobbs. I hope he keeps up the good work driving liberals running home crying to mamma.

I always admired Tom Tancredo; he was my first choice for a Real President not one of the three stooges wasting our time.

I will write in Tom Tancredo for President.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>

whose only real crime was working without papers.
    Did this guy read the news reports? How can you report on a story without being informed?

How about illegal entry and Identity Theft? Everyone of the illegal aliens arrested at Pilgrim's Pride were using an American's Social Security number. Hello! That's a felony.

Oh Pope, I'm all about keeping families together. Send them all home together. I also believe in the Biblical family unit.

Genesis 2:24
    Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Grandma, gangster cousin, sickly sister... are not a family unit, just your spouse and your underaged children. If you can't leave them behind in your homeland, then don't emigrate.

Dixie

I wouldn't hire this writer to take my trash out . Freaky little man with out an ouch of the word "Correct" in him . The Whole article is wrong .
    We are against Illegals because we see and know the damage it has caused to almost every county in "Our" Nation. The effects are long lasting also . We will soon be bankrupted in every state cause of illegals taking free services to the max. Even our schools must tab dance to over filled class room of illegals .
    What this so called writer prints up bout Michelle and SP40 is only the feed off of the big issues . But he made it personal .
    Do we need another pro-illegal GANG mayor like in LA ? NO . SP40 must go to save the citizens from drug cartels and street gangs . Commie law all the way .
    The Cardinal in LA . Should lose his tax exemption . Or you Cardinal support the illegals . Mexico gives NO money to our country at all for their support . But they built there freaken Consulates every where .
    Lou Dobbs , Mister your talking bout my Hero !!!
    ILLEGALS are just that . They are Breaking our laws
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchdog
    I'll never forget when this reporter, Tim Rutten attended a Save Our State vs. Home Depot in Glendale, CA. This guy looked petrified by the hordes of screaming reconquistas and brown supremacists and their disgusting racist behavior. This fat dope was terrified! I could hardly wait to read his story the next day. Boy was I surprised. It was the same kind of crap that you just read.
    He's on someones payroll ? Guys a hack with NO soul imo
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatchdog
    He's on someones payroll ? Guys a hack with NO soul imo
    Probably, plus his lack of intelligence precludes him from getting a real job?
    "

Tim Rutten is smearing the blood of the victims on his own hands by defending Lost Angeles's well known and documented sanctuary policies.

Notice how he excludes the family members of Jamiel Shaw that have asked the city to end Special Order 40?

Also, wasn't Jamiel's killer in and out of the LA lockup several times before without deportation?

W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast