Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrant Impact on Marshalltown

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S ... 3&nav=2HAB

Immigrant Impact on Marshalltown

Marshalltown, December 12, 2006 - Immigrants, largely Hispanic, began migrating to the Midwest in the early 90's. They've been drawn largely by jobs at meat packing plants like Swift. Many purchased homes and started businesses of their own. Some communities that might have otherwise experienced a decrease in population experienced renewed growth as a result.

Marshalltown Police Chief Lon Walker welcomes legal immigrants but the road from Mexico to Mainstreet has also brought a less desirable element to town.

Walker says, "Since 1999 the number of drug cases has doubled... most meth and pot coming from Mexico."

Gangs have also left their mark on Marshalltown. One in particular called M13 out of Central America was the focus of a nationwide investigation. While Chief Walker worked hand in hand with federal agents on that case, local law enforcement officers have traditionally been prohibited from enforcing immigration laws.

Walker says, "We are not allowed to ask for immigration papers."

That tied the local department's hands. Walker said, "I think the illegal population understands there's no one out there looking for them, and if they don't get in trouble for something else there's probably no consequence."

That will soon change. The Marshalltown City Council recently approved a program that will allow police to determine an immigrant's legal status. If they commit a crime the new program won't allow Walker to conduct raids like the one at the Swift plant, but it could be a first step in sending some back to the border.

Marshalltown police plan to start training for the new program next spring.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Way to go Marshalltown! More and more I am glad there is not much work in my sleepy little town! there are some things to be said for small town living.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    Way to go Marshalltown! More and more I am glad there is not much work in my sleepy little town! there are some things to be said for small town living.
    Isn't that the truth? I'm from a small town in Illinois which is still okay. And now I live in San Diego. Two different worlds!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Aw Jean, my heart goes out to you, when you retire come on down and live in my sleepy little town!Most people working just commute to work to jobs around the area even 50 miles away thing is though seems long distance, but you can usually drive it in 40 to 45 min, 2 lane roads no traffic pile ups though makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    Aw Jean, my heart goes out to you, when you retire come on down and live in my sleepy little town!Most people working just commute to work to jobs around the area even 50 miles away thing is though seems long distance, but you can usually drive it in 40 to 45 min, 2 lane roads no traffic pile ups though makes a huge difference.
    You're lucky nitty! Sounds like a dream. Use to be paradise out here. The Golden State is going down the tubes and most people just look the other way, sad.
    Well, I'm sure from what you read here you appreciate where you live.

Jean what he didnt tell you is that the little town sits right on the mexican border and the illegals dont want to stay that close to their own pathetic country... LOL

Just kidding. but i couldnt resist

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    Jean what he didnt tell you is that the little town sits right on the mexican border and the illegals dont want to stay that close to their own pathetic country... LOL

Very funny james. I happen to know where Oklahoma is and it ain't on the border, not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62

Where the heck are you from James? I live no where close to the border,not that makes much difference nowadays!
    Jean, I do appreciate where I live for sure, thing is I am afraid they will start moving out of the big cities and try to hide out down here in the mountains.Hopefully they don't want to live with the rednecks and Indians, though they are suppose to be some kind of Indians themselves.

MW
    jean wrote:

Very funny james. I happen to know where Oklahoma is and it ain't on the border, not yet anyway.
    That's debatable!

Sen. Croyn and Gov. Perry seems to think Texas is part of Mexico.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

james is on the frontline.

Rick Perry crosses the border all the time, to get his marching orders. The last time he came back, he announced the guestworker program and no fence.

Hey, that reminds me, I need to call and wish him Felice Navidad...NOT!

I need to remind him what country he is living in and that Texans sure know the truth even if he doesn't.

Dixie

Citizen's Assistance Hotline: (800) 843-5789
    [for Texas callers]
    Citizen's Opinion Hotline: (800) 252-9600
    Fax: (512) 463-1849
    online e-mail form
    http://www.governor.state.tx.us/contact
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast