Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Immigrants fear shooting will cause a backlash, some say

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 14075.html

Sept. 26, 2006, 12:42AM
    Immigrants fear shooting will cause a backlash, some say

By ARMANDO VILLAFRANCA
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Immigrants fear a backlash in the wake of the arrest of a Mexican national in the shooting death of a Houston police officer, local immigration experts and community activists say.

Even more damaging, they believe, is how the incident will diminish gains made in the immigration reform debate, especially after thousands took to the streets in the spring to protest legislation making illegal entry a felony offense.

"Everyone is aware that the anti-immigrant sentiment has increased," said Maria Jimenez, special projects coordinator for the Center for Central American Resources.

Though the shooting was reportedly the act of a single undocumented immigrant, she said immigrants believe they will be judged based on his action.

Last week, Juan Leonardo Quintero, a 32-year-old Mexican national, was charged with capital murder in the death of Houston police officer Rodney Johnson following a routine traffic stop.

She said she believes the Houston Police Department will be pressured to change its policy regarding the questioning of immigration status.

She said the issue has already drawn national attention. On Good Morning America, Houston Police Chief Harold Hurtt defended department policy, which does not require officers to inquire about a person's immigration status on traffic stops.

"People are bracing themselves for a rough time," she said.

The shooting will overshadow the image of immigrants marching for their rights and demanding that their voices be heard.

Community activists are concerned that the shooting will wash out any perception of immigrants as hard-working families who are consumers and taxpayers and contributors to the community.

"I was thinking how this one event, this tragic event, from the perspective of politics and immigration, this one event can set back all the progress that's been made in immigration," said Nestor Rodriguez, chairman of the University of Houston sociology department and co-director of the university's Center for Immigration Research.

"This is something that politicians and others who want to restrict immigration are going to use," he said.

Last week, some in Congress cited the shooting as evidence that stronger enforcement of immigration laws and not reform is needed.

"Between now and the time this is carried out to justice, people will keep this in mind," Rodriguez said. "I don't think this one particular case is going to reroute the whole immigration debate, but it certainly creates a huge negative image."

Hector Chavana Jr., president of La Raza Justice Movement, said he does not believe the backlash will be long term, even though some will use the shooting to further their political agenda and stir public sentiment against immigrants.

"We shouldn't generalize and I think there's a fear of that happening and that's pretty much what I'm hearing," Chavana said. "The fear is there but the fear may be overblown."

avillafranca@chron.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What about all the other americans that illegals are going around our country killing, maiming, raping, dragging behind cars? Do you think that might also contribute to a bad image for illegal aliens? These people are criminals and should all be deported for entering our country illegally.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

dot

HOUSTON POLICE OFFICER

I hope his widow sues the Federal Gov for a wrongful death... If the borders had been secure this most likely would not happen.....
    These people are criminals and will stop short of nothing.
    I have emailed my senators and congressman re this event.
    THE BUSH ADMINISTATION SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ALL OF THESE CRIMES COMMITTED BY ILLEGALS.

Everyone is aware that the anti-immigrant sentiment has increased," said Maria Jimenez, special projects coordinator for the Center for Central American Resources.

Hey Ms. Jimenez, people are aint-ILLEGAL ALIEN not immigrant!!!

Everytime they see a problem, they latch onto the legal immigrants in this country!! That is such an injustice to all the hard working, LAW ABIDING legal immigrants in this country!

Stop lying!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Though the shooting was reportedly the act of a single undocumented immigrant, she said immigrants believe they will be judged based on his action.
    When you're in someone else's country legally or not, you'd be FOOL not to be on your best behavior.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think that the legal Hispanics should have banded together and went against this illegal invasion, a long time ago. This way the leagl hardworking ones won't be dragged down to the level of the rest of them. If they continue to aide and abet these criminals, of course they will all be looked at in a negative way. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Today my family will make a donation to The 100 Club in Houston
    http://www.the100club.com/lawdetails.html in memory of Officer Rodney Johnson.

This is so very sad. But maybe Officer Johnsons death will be the wake up call needed to enforce our illegal immigration laws.

This unfortunate incident also just goes to show the two border patrol agents that are on trial for the shooting of that illegal alien, had no choice be react as they did. In cases like this, it's either act quickly or you lose your life.

Of all the belly aching these illegal supporters are doing, not one has expressed their condolences towards Officer Johnson's family or to the Houston police department for his loss of life in the line of duty.

All they care about is their darn cause and how this will be a major set back for them

Officer Johnson's death unfortunately shows how they bring their ways over to the United States. In the majority of countries where Hispanics come from there is corruption from the government down to the police departments. Their children are also taught that the police are corrupt. I will never forget how several of us learned this. Last year I was involved with the Dade County Police Athletic League Camp and we had an eight year old boy from Columbia who barely spoke English. This boy's cousin was in another camp in the same school. He would not speak or go near any of the Hispanic Officers or Assistants as he did not trust them. It was difficult for me as he kept coming to me and an African American woman. He thought he was at the camp he was at because he was being punished. I had to find his kids cousin and have her explain to him that he was not being punished and what the camp was really about!

I was on the road with another officer in one area of Dade County. We clock a vehicle being driven over 30 mph over the speed limit and the driver was pulled over. He was a Hispanic male and refused to sign for the ticket so he was getting arrested. As the officer was preparing to handcuff him, he was ready to fight the officer. The guy ended up looking in the car and noticed me in there and did not end up fighting.

The city of Hialeah is predominantly Hispanic and their police department is allowed to use more force than others within the county. We see it and hear about it often.

This should be a wake up call to the bleeding hearts out there. We need stronger and better immigration laws and the fence as soon as possible.

I can just see it, the Houston Activists for illegal aliens calling the black community in Houston Bigots and Racist when they start to speak out about the illegal alien problem in their community...
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...