Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants lobby for bills (Tennessee)

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index ... s_id=40472

Immigrants lobby for bills
    By Bill Harless, bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com
    April 06, 2005

Amid a hubbub of chatter and the music of three mariachi guitar players, a crowd of immigrants and refugees from Mexico, Sudan, Laos and elsewhere gathered recently to talk with lawmakers about the immigration bills now in the General Assembly.

Among the legislators from Middle Tennessee attending were representatives Rob Briley, Mike Turner and Janis Sontany and Sen. Douglas Henry, each sponsoring bills this session favored by the Tennessee Immigrant & Refugee Rights Coalition (TIRRC), which sponsored the event.

TIRRC has singled out three immigration bills it wants the legislature to pass this session and four it opposes.

Rep. Briley (D-Nashville) is sponsoring two of the TIRRC-favored immigration bills. Both deal with driving programs.

One, co-sponsored by Sen. Tim Burchett (R-Knoxville), would extend the minimum duration of the immigrant driving certificates created last year for legal and illegal immigrants from one to three years.

The other, co-sponsored by Sen. Henry (D-Nashville), would permit immigrants with work authorization to obtain actual driver licenses.

Immigrants say they cannot cash their paychecks without a license. Luis Posada, who does construction work in the Nashville area, said he deposits his paychecks and then uses his ATM card to access the money. But if he deposits a check on a Friday, it can take days to get cash, he said.

The third bill TIRRC supports, sponsored by three senators including Sen. Henry and representatives Briley, Sontany (D-Nashville) and Turner (D-Old Hickory) would increase funding for English language learner (ELL) programs to reduce class sizes and hire more translators.

Stephen Fotopulos of TIRRC said that currently there may be 50 students assigned per ELL teacher and 500 per translator. The bill would reduce these to 20 and 200.

Attacked were three bills sponsored, on the Senate side, by Bill Ketron (R-Murfreesboro) and one by Doug Jackson (D-Dickson).

Jackson’s bill would deny all public benefits, except those mandated by the federal government, to all illegal immigrants older than 18, including driving certificates.

Two of Ketron’s bills deal with driving programs â€â€
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

One, co-sponsored by Sen. Tim Burchett (R-Knoxville), would extend the minimum duration of the immigrant driving certificates created last year for legal and illegal immigrants from one to three years.
    I suggest a 3 day license. That should give you enough time to drive back to Mexico.

Immigrants say they cannot cash their paychecks without a license.
    I have the solution. Work in Mexico.

would increase funding for English language learner (ELL) programs to reduce class sizes and hire more translators.
    We speak English here. Get your own translator.

[quote]Jackson’s bill would deny all public benefits, except those mandated by the federal government, to all illegal immigrants older than 18, including driving certificates.

Two of Ketron’s bills deal with driving programs â€â€
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

dataman,

I particularly liked one of the reader comments:

By: philly on 04-06-2005
    If they don't like it here....GO HOME. Also, why are the legislators listening to anything they say. They AREN'T representing them, they should be representing their legal constituents.

You tell 'em, philly! And good question .. wonder if we could get any "representative" to "belly up to the bar" on that one.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Watchman

If they don't like it here....GO HOME. Also, why are the legislators listening to anything they say. They AREN'T representing them, they should be representing their legal constituents.

You tell 'em, philly! And good question .. wonder if we could get any "representative" to "belly up to the bar" on that one
    I can't understand it myself, just like I can't understand Mr. Bush
    padering to Foxie. The politicians are probably so entrenched
    in the politically correct cesspool that they lose sight of common
    sense and rationality. Many of them have a spine made of jello.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Quote Originally Posted by dataman
    Watchman

You tell 'em, philly! And good question .. wonder if we could get any "representative" to "belly up to the bar" on that one
    I can't understand it myself, just like I can't understand Mr. Bush
    padering to Foxie. The politicians are probably so entrenched
    in the politically correct cesspool that they lose sight of common
    sense and rationality. Many of them have a spine made of jello.
    big business, cheap labor, outsourcing, corporate profits, yada yada yada

I believe this country has had it up to here with illegal aliens and elected officials who would appease them. They may pass a few laws that appease but only for a year or two. After they've been thrown from office, their replacements will have opportunities to repeal new law. Remember what Winston Churchill said about appeasers. That said, I don't want to see this alligator anymore. Enough!
    '58 Airedale

What are your thoughts on this...I know some people who have revoked their own Social Security Numbers for religious reasons. They are US citizens who were born here. Since they no longer have SSNs they cannot renew their driver's licenses.

They suggest that the Federal Government should be in charge of issuing ALL driver's licenses to non-citizens. The Feds can administer the driving tests and they already know the date that person's visa expires so the DL can be made to expire on the same date.

This would mean that the states would no longer need to require a SSN in order to obtain a DL since the states would only be issuing licenses to citizens. This would get them out of the ridiculous business of trying to issue driving permits to illegal aliens. If they are ever issued a license, it should say "Illegal but Permitted to Drive---Nothing else!!"

Anyway...do you think their idea has merit? I don't fully understand what is meant by "state's rights". It seems like this idea would not interfere with state's rights since the states would still license it's own legal resident citizens, just not the illegal or temporary foreign nationals.