Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants lying low as federal agents scour city

Immigrants lying low as federal agents scour city

Barbara Ferry | The New Mexican
    March 2, 2007

Some immigrants in Santa Fe stayed indoors Thursday with their doors shut tight as federal officials continued to search for undocumented immigrants with deportation orders and other violations.

A Guatemalan man said he did not open the door early Thursday morning when agents, who referred to themselves as "policias," came to his home

"They knocked many times, and they waited for about five minutes, but then they went away," said the man, who gave his first name as Aurelio.

The man, who said he has lived in Santa Fe for seven years, said he suspected the immigration agents were looking for someone else. "I don't have a criminal record, thank God," he said.

Marcela Díaz, director of Somos Un Pueblo Unido, an immigrant rights group in Santa Fe, said two other immigrants contacted the organization Thursday with similar stories. "We're pleased that people are learning how to protect themselves," Díaz said.

"Aurelio," who works in construction, said lying low is creating an economic hardship for his family. He said he has stayed away from his job all week.

"A lot my friends aren't going to work, either," he said. "We're going to wait until all this calms down."

Jody Feyas, a Realtor who sells houses in new subdivisions, said he was concerned to see workers missing at a construction site north of Santa Fe.

Feyas said he is worried that if workers stay away, construction projects won't be completed on time, and that could jeopardize contracts with buyers.

"I think the business community needs to know what the scope of this is going to be," Feyas said. "We all know that about half of the construction workers in Santa Fe are undocumented."

Leticia Zamarripa, a spokeswoman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement in El Paso, did not return telephone calls Thursday seeking updated information about the operation.

Mike Chapman, president of Chapman Homes, said the immigration arrests haven't impacted his business. He said his company is careful to check to make sure his workers are authorized to work. "But I can tell you there are lot of Mexican nationals working in the construction industry," he said.

Immigrants also stayed away from church activities this week. Deacon Anthony Trujillo of Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church said only 20 to 30 students showed up for religious education classes Wednesday evening, instead of the usual 150. The parish has a large number of immigrant members.

Contact Barbara Ferry at 995-3817.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/57766.html

Re: Immigrants lying low as federal agents scour city

"Aurelio," who works in construction, said lying low is creating an economic hardship for his family. He said he has stayed away from his job all week.

"A lot my friends aren't going to work, either," he said. "We're going to wait until all this calms down."
    Good time to go back home.

Jody Feyas, a Realtor who sells houses in new subdivisions, said he was concerned to see workers missing at a construction site north of Santa Fe.

Feyas said he is worried that if workers stay away, construction projects won't be completed on time, and that could jeopardize contracts with buyers. "I think the business community needs to know what the scope of this is going to be," Feyas said. "We all know that about half of the construction workers in Santa Fe are undocumented."
    Well, gee, I guess you're going to have to hire Americans again and pay them a decent wage. Boo-hoo.

"I don't have a criminal record, thank God," he said
    You most certainly do have a criminal record, you're here ILLEGALLY!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Marcela Díaz, director of Somos Un Pueblo Unido, an immigrant rights group in Santa Fe, said two other immigrants contacted the organization Thursday with similar stories. "We're pleased that people are learning how to protect themselves," Díaz said.
    And just how do American citizens protect themselves from this criminal invasion your supporting Mz Diaz?

No sympathy here for either the illegal aliens here ILLEGALLY or the construction and service industries that HIRE ILLEGAL ALIENS ILLEGALLY AT THE EXPENSE OF THE AMERICAN TAX PAYERS!

Eventually, they have to come out and go to their illegal jobs! Time to start packing, selling your stuff and move back!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    Hey Sippy!
    Exactly. It just hasn't been documented ...yet!

BTW, Love that BillHillary pic in the other thread - I'm still chuckling...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by sippy
    I had to laugh at that too, why is he hiding from la polcia if he's not a criminal?