Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants Trigger Change, White Exodus in Iowa District

http://www.civilrights.org/issues/educa ... m?id=31344

May 18, 2005

Alan Richard
    Education Week

West Liberty's quaint, brick-paved downtown now features authentic Mexican cuisine and a mercado, or small local grocery store, along with the traditional bank and pharmacy. In the schools, announcements are in Spanish and English. Soccer is the new sport, and separate signs give the location of the school office and oficina.

Forty-eight percent of West Liberty's 1,200 schoolchildren are Hispanic, said Becky Rodocker, an Iowa native who taught Latino children to speak and read English in California before returning here as superintendent. In kindergarten through 8th grade, Hispanic students are the majority, at 54 percent.

The number of districts like West Liberty will continue to grow in the years and decades to come in Iowa and other states, demographers say. ("Newcomers Bring Change, Challenge to Region," May 4, 2005.)

Immigration has brought joys and challenges to the school system here.

Children of different backgrounds learn together and befriend each other. Yet educators are troubled that some Hispanic students see little need for a diploma or a future in professional work. And some Anglo families have withdrawn their children from the district's schools, prompting West Liberty to seek approval from the state education agency of a plan that restricts student transfers into other districts.

Click here for full story >> Sorry I couldnt get the registraiton to work to get the whole article
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Here's the rest of it JP

{continuation of above article}
    [quote]With the federal No Child Left Behind Act pushing schools to improve instruction for immigrant as well as U.S.-born students, raising test scores will be no easy task, as many Hispanic students here are still learning English.

Veteran high school English teacher Carol Clark and other educators here say they are learning lessons that other districts may need to follow in the near future, even in the smallest of towns.

Ms. Clark, for one, is upbeat. “Whatever fortuitous accident this was,� she said of the town’s changing population, “is wonderful.�

Changing Times
    West Liberty’s first Hispanic families arrived from Mexico almost a century ago as railroad workers.

The town’s manufacturing-workforce demands increased with the opening of a turkey-processing plant in the 1950s, and immigrant meatpackers were brought from Texas to live in dormitories, Ms. Clark said. Over time, workers brought their families here and moved into permanent housing.

In the past decade, as the demand for construction and service-industry workers has increased in Iowa, even more immigrants have arrived.

In recent years, however, that trend has put new strains on the district.

When Ms. Rodocker arrived as the superintendent in July of 2001, a steady stream of families was leaving the public schools.

Ten percent of white students have left the district since 2001, amounting to $400,000 a year in lost state revenueâ€â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks 2ndamendsis
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Did you catch that THEY'RE TRYING TO STOP PARENTS FROM TAKING THEIR CHILDREN AND MOVING THEM INTO A BETTER SCHOOL??

If they're successful the parents will simply up and move and leave the entire area for these people!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why should Americans be in Spanish immersion for illegals?

Why do these illegals demand everything in Spanish? I wouldn't go to Mexico and demand everything in English. They are insulted about poor Spanish, learn the language of the land and it wouldn't be a problem.

And of course there are 2 communities. They speak different languages and have a totally different culture.

I don't blame white parents for wanting to move their kids. I would not send my kids to a school where 1/2 the kids are speaking Spanish.

YANKEE

Why do these illegals demand everything in Spanish?
    Because we haven't learned to use the LEGAL SYSTEM the way the ACLU has. Then they taught everything they know to their apprentices the NGOs.

The schools are trying to again manipulate the laws to prevent the parents from CHOICE!

PS: I don't blame the parents for moving either. However, I do dislike leaving something that we love for those that invade and break laws. It feels much like quitting instead of standing ground and fighting. It's a catch 22 for the parents.

Re: Immigrants Trigger Change, White Exodus in Iowa District

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    http://www.civilrights.org/issues/education/details.cfm?id=31344

May 18, 2005

Alan Richard
    Education Week

West Liberty's quaint, brick-paved downtown now features authentic Mexican cuisine and a mercado, or small local grocery store, along with the traditional bank and pharmacy. In the schools, announcements are in Spanish and English. Soccer is the new sport, and separate signs give the location of the school office and oficina.

Forty-eight percent of West Liberty's 1,200 schoolchildren are Hispanic, said Becky Rodocker, an Iowa native who taught Latino children to speak and read English in California before returning here as superintendent. In kindergarten through 8th grade, Hispanic students are the majority, at 54 percent.

The number of districts like West Liberty will continue to grow in the years and decades to come in Iowa and other states, demographers say. ("Newcomers Bring Change, Challenge to Region," May 4, 2005.)

Immigration has brought joys and challenges to the school system here.

Children of different backgrounds learn together and befriend each other. Yet educators are troubled that some Hispanic students see little need for a diploma or a future in professional work. And some Anglo families have withdrawn their children from the district's schools, prompting West Liberty to seek approval from the state education agency of a plan that restricts student transfers into other districts.

Click here for full story >> Sorry I couldnt get the registraiton to work to get the whole article

Hi

I'm British and live in the UK. This mirrors what's happening here. There's white flight from most of our towns and cities these days. We are told that it's only natural that immigrants would want to live together so they are not integrating and are colonising parts of the country. If we wish to live with our own kind it's a different story and we are branded racist.

Mary

White flight from London..we are in the same boat!

we are branded racist.
    FIGHT IT NOW, Mary! DON'T LET THEM BEAT YOU DOWN

and
    WELCOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee

Why do these illegals demand everything in Spanish? I wouldn't go to Mexico and demand everything in English. They are insulted about poor Spanish, learn the language of the land and it wouldn't be a problem.

And of course there are 2 communities. They speak different languages and have a totally different culture.

I don't blame white parents for wanting to move their kids. I would not send my kids to a school where 1/2 the kids are speaking Spanish.
    Great point, Yankee. Go to France without speaking French and you are stuck out. Even the people there that do speak English will not do so. I got with this kid from Idaho and he showed me around. He was a young white kid that "choose" to move to Paris and was "prepared" for all that entailed. If I wanted to live in Germany, South Korea, or France, it would be incumbent on ME to learn their languages. How stupid would I be if I went to Amsterdam and expected to be able to "push 2 for English"?
    I am not anti-Mexican. The girl that I work with, Lydia, was born here to parents that were born here, and has grandparents that came here LEGALLY in the 1930's. She and I work side by side almost everyday. You should hear what SHE has to say about illegal immigrants. Much like what I have to say about young black kids that wear their pants below their waist, do not speak or write English fluently, and generally are an embarassment to hard working, patriotic, and educated black men and women. She calls them "mohows", spanish for "wetbacks". This from a Mexican-American woman, and that is the NICEST THING SHE HAS TO SAY I have invited her to join us and I think she soon will .
    How can we hope for this to work out? You cannot have half the people in a city, state, or nation speaking one language and REFUSING to speak the language of the country. PERIOD. The Bill of Rights is written in English. This nation was founded by people that spoke English. Slaves from Africa learned to speak English, without ESL CLASSES!!!
    So first you need to come in the front door, LEGALLY. Then, you need to assimilate into AMERICA which by definition means LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH. I don't care what you speak at home or among yourselves. However, don't expect for all commercial enterprises, governmental agencies, and everyone else to bend over backwards for YOU!!! The Irish, French, Polish, Italians, Russians, and everyone else that came in the front door at Ellis Island did it. What, pray tell, MAKES the illegal immigrants, key word being ILLEGAL, not immigrant, so special?
    NOTHING!!!
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN