Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Activists Won't Push Work Stoppage

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...431/-1/ZONES02
    Immigration activists won't push work stoppage

By Tania E. Lopez
    tania.e.lopez@indystar.com

A growing rift over the call for a nationwide boycott May 1 reached Indianapolis on Tuesday when key organizers urged people to go to work and school in spite of the immigration protest.

THE BOYCOTT

Some, including the Los Angeles-based Latino Movement, USA, say a national work stoppage would show the economic impact immigrants have while putting pressure on lawmakers to consider immigration reform. News reports say the idea of skipping work, school, shopping and other activities May 1 has caught on in Los Angeles, Dallas and Chicago.
    Others, in cities such as Des Moines, Iowa, and Philadelphia, have been less receptive. In Indianapolis, members of the Indiana Justice for Immigrants Coalition, the group that brought 20,000 marchers to the streets of Downtown Indianapolis this month, said they support "A Day Without Immigrants." But they stopped short of urging the most dramatic action.
    "We're standing in unity with the national movement," said Tedd Cain, an organizer for Accion Latina, a nonprofit group that advocates for immigrants. "But we're not actually calling for everyone to miss work or not go to school."
    Instead, they'll urge people to wear white shirts, spend no money and put up white ribbons on posts and trees.
    The protests are in response to strict immigration reform legislation passed by the U.S. House in December that would make it a felony to be in the country illegally or to hire or help illegal immigrants.
    Now, illegal immigrants face deportation but no criminal charges.
    Before a two-week congressional recess, a Senate bill was shelved that would have given the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States a path to citizenship.
    In what may have been the largest protest in Indianapolis history, marchers flooded Downtown on April 10. The same day, protesters jammed scores of cities across the country.
    The question for those involved in the sudden surge of activism is what to do next.
    Rafael Bravo, a community activist and radio talk show host of "Tribuna Libre" on WEDJ-FM (107.1), will go to work May 1. But he will wear something white and spend no money that day.
    Bravo won't urge listeners to miss work.
    "The problem is that these people have to eat and they have to pay their bills," he said. "They need to feed their families."
    His concerns were echoed by the Rev. Thomas Fox, a key player in the local coalition.
    "I will support it, but I'm not going to ask anyone not to go to work," Fox said.
    Alicia Rodriguez, a 20-year-old senior at Pike High School -- held back two years after she arrived from Mexico and enrolled -- said her education is too valuable to risk.
    "We're trying to prove that this is what we want, and if we don't come, we prove to the government that we have no reason to be here."
    Others, however, are ready to embrace the boycott. Business owner and community activist Veronica Guerrero is adamant that she'll shut down her West Washington Street dress shop, keep her kids home and not spend a dime on May 1.
    "My kids and my nephews are not going to school," said Guerrero, 39. "We are not shopping, we are not doing anything, and that's my choice."
    Organizers of a national "Day Without Immigrants" protest May 1 are asking supporters to:

• Spend no money.
    Skip Work.

• Stay home with families.

• Wear white.

• Place white ribbons around posts and trees.

Call (317) 917-8922 to learn more. -- Tania E. Lopez
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

I want a ribbon for us too. Someone mentioned purple, which is nice. But for some reason I just can't get away from the old red, white and blue. Any ideas?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why doesn't EVERY American go out and Buy the biggest flag they can find, fly one at home, and fly one on your car when you're out driving. So, we can show them its OUR country and theres only room for ONE FLAG. So on the day they stay home America celebrates! And maybe they and Washington will start to get the hint.

Funny you should say that coz I did on Monday. I was going to do the taxation without representation at the post office. When I got to the cashier, she winked and said, "for safety reasons, I hope you don't have children or grandchildren in school or go to another town where no-one knows you." I mean I appreciated the heads-up,but to think you HAVE to be afraid to fly the AMERICAN FLAG in AMERICA!!! No one knows me anyway, no matter what town I went to...........but it's obvious people are aware and are scared. My husband is afraid for me to put the flag on the car for fear it will be damaged in some parking lot. And I'm racist?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)