Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Agents Arrest Dozens In Charleston Area

http://link.toolbot.com/charleston.net/58875

Immigration agents arrest dozens in Charleston area
    Thursday, February 01, 2007

Email This Article
    Printer-Friendly format
    BY NOAH HAGLUND

A sweep of Charleston and other South Carolina coastal areas netted dozens of illegal immigrants, including a man wanted in Mexico for murder, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said.

The two-day operation concluded Wednesday, drawing in 38 people from Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala and China, ICE spokesman Richard Rocha said. The effort targeted people illegally in the country who have been convicted of other crimes as well as people who ignored previous deportation orders.

"Some of these people had prior criminal convictions that included DUI, burglary and drug charges," Rocha said.

The tally included other immigration violators, such as those who entered the U.S. without permission or overstayed their visas. ICE identified the murder suspect as Patricio Cruz-Renteria, 32. Further details, including where he was living, were not available.

The detentions were part of Operation Return to Sender, which led to 750 arrests in southern California earlier this month and 13,000 throughout the country since June.

Local suspects were held at the Charleston County Detention Center. They will be taken to Atlanta and Charlotte, where they will have court hearings if they request them.

A local advocate for the Latino community said her phone has been ringing off the hook since the raids began Tuesday. Diana Salazar questioned whether the arrests were meant to intimidate the Hispanic community. She also heard reports that numerous agents had shown up to arrest one or two people, and wondered why such a show of force was necessary.

Rocha said the raids did not target specific groups or nationalities. While conducting other operations, ICE has the right to detain anybody who is in violation of U.S. immigration law, he said.

Salazar said Latinos in the Charleston area incorporated a nonprofit group last weekend to defend their rights and fight for respect. She is president of the new Latinos Association of Charleston. "They're not leaving," she said. "They have American children and they're contributing to the economy. That's how they see it."

Reach Noah Haglund at 937-5550 or nhaglund@postandcourier.com.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"They have American children" ?
    No, they do not. If they are illegal, so are their
    children.

Salazar said Latinos in the Charleston area incorporated a nonprofit group last weekend to defend their rights and fight for respect. She is president of the new Latinos Association of Charleston. "They're not leaving," she said. "They have American children and they're contributing to the economy. That's how they see it."
    THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS IF THEY ARE HERE ILLEGALLY!!!

The ONLY right they have if they are here illegally is to have their butts deported NOW.

It's unreal how these guys can come in to our country and make demands.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

including a man wanted in Mexico for murder
    Looks like jobs are opening up in the homeland. Wonder who they need murdered?
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well we see it different than they do, and its our country!!!! Deport them!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

The anger I feel at reading that they feel they have rights, should be able to stay, contribute to the society, on and on, is getting more then I can bear. I hear on Dobbs this week that they 'demand' that all deportations be stopped until immigration reform takes place.

Someone got a cool bucket of water as I'm about to blow a gasket...

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Fedupinwaukegan wrote:

The anger I feel at reading that they feel they have rights, should be able to stay, contribute to the society, on and on, is getting more then I can bear. I hear on Dobbs this week that they 'demand' that all deportations be stopped until immigration reform takes place.

I also heard on Dobbs that the OBL is calling it Ethnic cleansing! Give me a break!! THIS IS A LAW AND ORDER ISSUE AND IT APPLIES TO ALL PEOPLE WHO ARE ILLEGAL REGARDLESS OF RACE!!!

THE WAY THEIR TRYING TO SPIN SYMPATHY IS GETTING PATHETIC!!

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinwaukegan

Someone got a cool bucket of water as I'm about to blow a gasket...

YOU AND ME BOTH!!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast