Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration bill offers peek at 2008 race

Immigration bill offers peek at 2008 race

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 59 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Call it an early, conservative rehearsal for the 2008 campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, four senators supporting a chance at citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants, one opposed.

"Some call it amnesty. I call it probation and parole," says Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record), willing to push back against conservatives — many of whom presumably will vote in primaries and caucuses in 20 months' time.

"In poll after poll after poll, Americans support earned citizenship and a comprehensive solution," adds Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) of Arizona, echoing Brownback's view as well as the one espoused by President Bush.

But Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record), seeking re-election in Virginia as well as maneuvering toward a White House bid, begs to differ.

"There are a lot of practical, principled problems with this and I am not voting for this," he said recently as the Senate plodded toward a final vote on the bill. "It rewards illegal behavior."

On track for passage Thursday, the Senate bill includes provisions to enhance border security, create a new guest worker program and give millions of illegal immigrants a path to citizenship as long as they meet certain conditions.

The president has spoken in favor of the Senate's general approach, stirring opposition from some conservatives who insist the borders be secured first and deride the bill as an amnesty measure for millions of lawbreakers.

At this early date, immigration is one of a few high-profile issues that divides GOP presidential hopefuls. Most are sticking with Bush on the war in Iraq, for example, and all generally support his call for spending restraints.

Among Democrats, potential presidential candidates appear in agreement on immigration. They are all expected to vote for the bill, with its obvious appeal for Hispanics, the fastest growing segment of the electorate.

Republicans, too, court Hispanics. But they also must contend with conservatives who have spoken out forcefully against the Senate measure.

Their dilemma: Vote for the Senate bill, in line with overall national opinion, thus risking a backlash from conservatives who make up a large part of the party activists and will play a significant role in picking the party's nominee. Or, side with conservatives, oppose the bill and risk alienating the broader electorate.

Four of five potential GOP presidential candidates — Brownback, McCain, Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record) of Nebraska and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee — are betting the wiser vote is in favor of the bill.

They use the same term, saying the measure reflects a "comprehensive" approach that the country wants — that is, legislation that focuses on securing the borders as well as dealing with the millions of illegal immigrants currently living within them.

McCain, whose GOP maverick streak masks his conservative credentials, pointed to public opinion.

Hagel, a Midwesterner, said the bill is "a responsible resolution to a difficult problem" and more than border security and immigration reform.

"It's also a job generation bill. It's an economic development bill. It's a social fabric bill. It says something about our country," the Nebraskan said on the Senate floor Wednesday. Ironically, the state's Democrat, Sen. Ben Nelson (news, bio, voting record), criticized the bill in his own floor speech earlier in the day.

Brownback acknowledged a certain political risk in his position and said going against the conservative grain could hurt him.

Still, he said, "I believe as an economic conservative, as a social conservative, the right stance on this is to have a comprehensive immigration policy."

It wasn't clear until this week how Frist would vote. He told CNN's "The Situation Room" late Tuesday: "I expect that I will be supporting that bill coming out of the Senate."

That leaves Allen as the lone declared opponent among presidential hopefuls.

Voters in Virginia are "overwhelmingly opposed to this," he said of the Senate bill. "They see this as amnesty. Until the borders are secured, this flood, this flow of illegal immigrants is down to a trickle, they don't think we ought to be rewarding illegal behavior."

Then there's another possibility, that the issue will fade.

"People are going to cast their votes this fall based on amnesty or legalization," said Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley, who hails from Iowa, the site of the first presidential contest in 2008.

"Who knows about two years from now?"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060524/ap_ ... NlYwM3MDM-
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Allen of Virginia
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

McCain, Frist or Hagel will NEVER get my vote, and I hope to influence as many of my friends and family as possible.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Quote Originally Posted by 31scout
    McCain, Frist or Hagel will NEVER get my vote, and I hope to influence as many of my friends and family as possible.

I will contact every Vitnam vet and every vet organization I can to turn them agains McCain, First and Hagel are as worthless........well we ain't got no bore hogs.

"Who knows about two years from now?"
    Elephants have long memories and I will never forget or forgive a vote for amnesty.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!