Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

An Immigration Compromise

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingarticle.asp?ID=2605

An Immigration Compromise
    By Chuck Colson
    7/13/2006

Showing Compassion, Upholding the Law

By the looks of things, it seems that compromise on the contentious issue of immigration is unlikely, if not impossible. The House’s position has been hard-line: We have to stop illegal immigration before we even consider ways we could process illegal immigrants into America properly. Some members have even demanded the wholesale deportation of all illegal immigrants, which would virtually stop the American economy in its tracks.

The Senate has taken what’s regarded as a more moderate approach: securing the borders and establishing a guest-worker program so that people who have been here for a while can establish their residence. President Bush’s position on the debate has been, in my opinion, comprehensive and responsible.

Yet here we are in July, and instead of ironing out their differences, the House and the Senate are holding dueling hearings across the country.

While getting agreement is hard to imagine, the basis for a good compromise exists. It addresses the important issue of border security while also offering a humane way of dealing with illegal immigrants already living in the United States. It even has a role for Christians who, after all, are commanded to care for the strangers in our midst.

The author of this compromise is Representative Mike Pence (R) of Indiana. I have known Pence for several years and regard him as one of the brightest young stars in the House. He is a serious Christian who is committed to integrating faith and public service.

What Pence is proposing is a two-step process. The first step is to secure the borders. His proposal would include the enforcement measures passed by the House last December.

Once the Secretary of Homeland Security certifies that the borders have been secured, illegal aliens will become eligible to apply for guest-worker visas. Pence’s proposal requires them to leave the country and apply for these visas at what he calls “Ellis Island Centers.”

These visas entitle them to work in the United States for six years. After the six years, the worker “must decide whether to return home or seek citizenship. But he will do so under the normal rules and regulations of our naturalization laws.”

Pence wants Christians involved in the process and is proposing some faith-based programs so the churches can help people with their paperwork, can teach them English, and integrate them into the communities.

I think that his plan, which has gained interest in the White House and support on both sides of the Capitol, provides the basis of a good compromise. I would modify his requirement that people leave the country to apply for guest-worker visas—I think that could be done in federal facilities around the country and save money and time. And the criteria for certifying border security must be objective and reasonable. But these things can be accomplished.

The point is that this is a good proposal that gets us out of the deadlock and promotes security and respect for the law in a humane and workable fashion. And it addresses the issues of workers without demonizing them.

I hope you will get behind Pence’s proposal and call your senators and congressman. Given the contentious quality of the immigration debate, what is needed is support for people like Mike Pence, for whom faith and public service go hand-in-hand.

Take action:

Please call your congressman and senators and urge them to vote for the Pence Plan: No Amnesty Immigration Reform. Call 202-224-3121. Visit www.house.gov and www.senate.gov to learn how to reach your two senators and congressman directly.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Some members have even demanded the wholesale deportation of all illegal immigrants, which would virtually stop the American economy in its tracks.
    I seriously doubt it, but even so - the potential risk is certainly worth the rewards!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Once the Secretary of Homeland Security certifies that the borders have been secured,
    Homeland Security cannot even secure its own buildings!

illegal aliens will become eligible to apply for guest-worker visas.
    And how is this not amnesty?

President Bush’s position on the debate has been, in my opinion, comprehensive and responsible.

I would modify his requirement that people leave the country to apply for guest-worker visas—I think that could be done in federal facilities around the country and save money and time.
    Sure, lets just put the illegals at the head of the immigration line. The hell with those who are trying to immigrate legally, they can wait even longer. Don't waste your Christian compassion on them.

This so called compromise is a joke. It has less enforcement provisions than the Senate bill, apparently without any penalties against illegals.

Mr Colson we compromised in both 1965 and again 1986. Where did that get us?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee