Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration crackdowns that don't work

Immigration crackdowns that don't work
    Posted by Amy Gottlieb August 24, 2007 5:13PM
    http://blog.nj.com/njv_amy_gottlieb/200 ... at_do.html

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind for immigrants and those who follow immigrant issues closely. Governor Corzine established a Blue Ribbon Panel on immigrant integration. Devastating murders in Newark sparked a debate about the role of police in immigration enforcement. A directive from the Attorney General requires police to notify ICE after arresting someone they believe is undocumented.

New Jersey was at one time a model state for policies that provide a welcoming atmosphere for immigrants. The Blue Ribbon panel was to be a piece of that. With the new directive, we are moving in a different direction, following the lead of places like Prince William County, Virginia that have passed resolutions requiring police to conduct immigration investigations, and no longer feel welcoming.

Many have applauded the Attorney General, while others have expressed caution. I am concerned that the directive will lead to profiling, lack of safety and trust in immigrant communities, and an overall sense of a crackdown at the state level, parallel to the growing crackdown at the federal level.

Using the immigration system to deal with indictable offenses in New Jersey is misguided, as the immigration status of the person arrested is irrelevant to the offense committed. It is the criminal justice system itself that must take on prevention, apprehension, prosecution, and sentencing in a way that does not dehumanize anyone in the process. Our federal immigration system must be fixed so that we do not have millions of undocumented people moving further into the shadows; a fair and humane immigration policy at the federal level would solve the problem without giving so much authority to police officers who already have enough on their plates.

But because the issue of immigration has become such a contentious one, we are not going to see federal legislation anytime soon. Until the terms of the debate change and policies are no longer set based on fear, we will continue on this road of piecemeal attempts to stop or limit immigration, which will have no impact whatsoever on the much deeper problem of violence in our communities.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

a fair and humane immigration policy at the federal level would solve the problem without giving so much authority to police officers who already have enough on their plates.

We already have a fair immigration policy that just needs enforced. Nothing more. NOTHING MORE!

And i can assure you police officers are more than happy to contribute to the deportation of illegals.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

I have never seen this author's name before so I don't know much about her or her biases, but this is posted on the blog:

"Amy Gottlieb is the program director of the American Friends Service Committee Immigrant Rights Program in Newark. She is a graduate of Rutgers Law School - Newark, where she is currently an adjunct professor of immigration law.

Amy will focus on bringing a human face to the immigration debate."

Since she spouts much of the usual pro-illegal alien claptrap about "shadows," "undocumented" etc., in her view, bringing humanity to the immigration debate probably means amnesty. To which I say, THE MOST HUMANE THING WE CAN DO IS ENFORCE THE LAW, AND FORCE MEXICO TO REFORM AND TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN CITIZENS.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As posted as a comment to her article at the original site, so she can read it.

Dear Ms. Gottlieb,

What kind of logic did you learn, and now teach, at Rutgers?? And why do all apologists for illegal immigrants always forget to distinguish between LEGAL and ILLEGAL?

I was born in Newark in 1943. My grandfather (a LEGAL immigrant, who came through the "front door" on Ellis Island) ran his own ice cream and candy store in downtown Newark..

To your argument:

"New Jersey was at one time a model state for policies that provide a welcoming atmosphere for immigrants.

With the new directive, we are moving in a different direction, ... and no longer feel welcoming."

On the contrary - we are still welcoming to all LEGAL immigrants; it's only the ILLEGAL ones who are not, and have never been, welcome in our wonderful country.

"..requires police to notify ICE after arresting someone they believe is undocumented."

Again, that euphemism for ILLEGAL! You must be aware that most ILLEGAL immigrants have lots of 'documentation'; the only problem is that it is fraudulent, often comprised of stolen social security numbers.

As a law professor, I am sure that you realize that ID theft is a felony - and that making up a fake number is a $250,000 fine.

"I am concerned that the directive will lead to profiling"

EVERYONE who is arrested should be "profiled" by checking their residency status. Every single person who comes in contact

with law enforcement ... EVERYONE. Now ... do you feel better?

" lack of safety and trust in immigrant communities"

The lack of safety comes from politicians and apologists who condone and encourage an underclass of illegal immigrants who are allowed to flaunt the law, and who are preyed upon by hardened criminals who take advantage of this very same illegal status. If everyone were legal, no one would have any concerns!

"and an overall sense of a crackdown at the state level, parallel to the growing crackdown at the federal level."

Aah! Now you're talking! I can hardly wait - in behalf of all LEGAL immigrants who are stereotyped along with their ILLEGAL neighbors
    by apologists such as you.

"Using the immigration system to deal with indictable offenses in New Jersey is misguided"

What is misguided is a law professor encouraging selective law enforcement.

"as the immigration status of the person arrested is irrelevant to the offense committed."

An ILLEGAL immigrant should be detained without bail - they are a prime flight risk. Ask any law enforcement officer.

"in a way that does not dehumanize anyone in the process."

Ask the survivor of the recent gang executions if she feels "dehumanized" by the attempted rape and machete beheading of her friend - by an ILLEGAL ALIEN.

"Our federal immigration system must be fixed so that we do not have millions of undocumented people moving further into the shadows"

We agree!! They should come out of the shadows of our country and into the bright sunshine of their own countries.

"police officers who already have enough on their plates."

If the ILLEGAL alien criminals were taken off their "plates" and deported, their "plates" would be not nearly so full in the long run.

"But because the issue of immigration has become such a contentious one"

Why is asking for complete law enforcement contentious? It shouldn't be, and respect for the law, ALL the laws, should be the standard. It is the deviation from complete and strict law enforcement that introduces contention.

"we are not going to see federal legislation anytime soon."

We don't need any new laws, except if you want to grant the 8th amnesty since 1986.

As a law professor, you should be familiar with the 1996 IIRIRA law, which forbids sanctuary cities as recently practiced in Newark.

What we are missing is ENFORCEMENT of existing laws - and the problem starts with President Bush.

"Until the terms of the debate change and policies are no longer set based on fear"

Legal immigrants have nothing to fear; the only thing ILLEGAL immigrants have to fear is having the law enforced.

Every law-breaker should expect to have the law enforced.

"Fear" of law enforcement makes drivers put coins in parking meters. You don't condone illegal parking, do you?

"we will continue on this road of piecemeal attempts to stop or limit immigration"

Again, you forgot 'ILLEGAL" when you talk about immigration.

A law professor giving a disingenuous argument? Tell me it's not true.

I hope your students realize what terrible ideas you are instilling in their minds.

That's a very good post fred5678. Welcome!
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

Welcome to Alipac Fred!

Dixie

Bar none...this is the most simpleton and idiotic article I've ever read. This person calls themself a journalist??? Was the degree obtained from Online Uiiversity??? Maybe this article was written by one of Kennedy or Feinstein's staffers. Or maybe it was written by the pastor of the church Elvira holed up in. There is no way it was written by a real journalist!

Hey there Fred5678, greetings for a Fred-variant (Phred)

Welcome aboard! Please do stick around and join us in the cause.

Welcome, fred5678 to ALIPAC...and great post!

Hi all,

Thanks for the nice comments about my post. What an ignorant, misinformed law professor she is.

For more of my modest efforts: www.jmi.com/immigrationmarches

Lots of useful links and my vent from the May, 2006, marches.

About 3 months ago someone pointed me to your site and I added a link.

I have been VERY active with NumbersUSA.

Keep up the good fight, and did you all see the good news about Tulsa featured at:

http://www.outragedpatriots.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast