Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Debate Heats Up In South Philly

Immigration Debate Heats Up In South Philly Reporting
    Dave Huddleston PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3)

The immigration reform debate took center stage outside Geno's Steaks in South Philadelphia on Wednesday evening.

A protest and rally in support of Arizona's new controversial immigration law were held in unison.

Radio host Dom Giordano from the Big Talker 1210 hosted the rally.

"People are upset at being lumped in with a bunch of knuckle draggers just because they object to what's happened here and that the federal government is not doing their job," Giordano explained.

And it seems most Americans agree with Giordano's radio audience.

In a CBS News poll, more than half of the country -- 52 percent -- supports Arizona's new immigration law that allows police to check the status of anyone suspected of being involved in a crime.

Pennsylvania State Representative Daryl Metcalfe is proposing a similar bill for the Keystone State.

"We have to set a no amnesty policy and we have to be very black and white about that, that there's no reward for violating our border," Metcalfe said.

That is the kind of talk that frightens 23-year-old José. He says his parents brought him to Philadelphia illegally from Mexico when he was two. But it wasn't until high school that José realized what it meant to be an illegal immigrant.

"I lost all hope, I said 'I can't join the armed forces, I can't get a good job.' So basically I got pushed into the shadows, like any other undocumented."

In Philadelphia, more than half -- 53 percent -- of immigrants are illegal.

With that many, Mayor Michael Nutter says this is an issue for the federal government, not radio hosts or state lawmakers.

"We do not want to send the wrong message to victims or witnesses," Nutter said.

There was very vocal counter demonstration at Wednesday evening's rally.

Giordano says fears of Latinos that they will be stopped all the time is a serious concern, but he says carrying a license is all you need.

http://cbs3.com/local/Immigration.Debat ... 05548.html

Yes

"We have to set a no amnesty policy and we have to be very black and white about that, that there's no reward for violating our border,

WE MUST...We can not give any more Amnesties. One more Amnesty will guarantee a push for the next. Absolutely guaranteed.. The time has come to say "No"
    Enforcement does work. There is no denying that.

NO AMNESTY and END ALL SANCTUARY POLICIES!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In Philadelphia, more than half -- 53 percent -- of immigrants are illegal.

With that many, Mayor Michael Nutter says this is an issue for the federal government, not radio hosts or state lawmakers.

"We do not want to send the wrong message to victims or witnesses," Nutter said.
    Uhh wrong, Nutter. SB1070 is exactly the message these criminals should be receiving...GET OUT!

Giordano says fears of Latinos that they will be stopped all the time is a serious concern, but he says carrying a license is all you need.
    There ya go! Got license? If not, get out now!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

wow..over half of Philly is illegal...is that what he said...what will that number be at in 10 more years when the illegals poop out 3-4 babies on average? What will Philly's new name be? My guess would be Philmexia.
    "Where is our democracy if the federal government can break the laws written and enacted by our congress on behalf of the people?"