Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Debate Rages at Chicago's Navy Pier

Immigration debate rages at Navy Pier

June 29, 2007
    By Cyndi Loza Special to the Daily Southtown
    Emotions raged as opponents and supporters of immigration reform debated Thursday at a Navy Pier forum, held shortly after the U.S. Senate squashed an immigration bill.

The legislation, which would have legalized millions of undocumented immigrants, fell 14 votes short of the 60 needed in the U.S. Senate.

"The bill died and ... I'm thrilled," said Rosanna Pulido, founder and director of the Illinois Minuteman Project, after the forum. "I couldn't be more encouraged because the American people have spoken."

Other panelists were disheartened with the Senate's rejection of the bill.

"It's been a bad day," said Juan Salgado, executive director of Instituto del Progreso Latino.

The hour-long forum, moderated by Chicago Sun-Times columnist Esther Cepeda, brought together six representatives from different organizations to discuss immigration reform.

To some of the panelists, illegal immigrants are law-abiding, taxpaying workers. To others, such as Pulido, they're people who "broke into this country and are stealing American jobs." She was booed by most of the audience of 150 people.

Billy Lawless, chairman of the Chicago Celts for Immigration Reform, reminded the group of signs posted in the 1800s that read, "No dogs or Irish welcome" and "No Irish need apply."

"We think we are sophisticated and educated today -- we are no different than we were a 150 years ago," he said.

His comments, greeted with applause, were echoed by another Irish immigrant.

"I'm very proud to stand by my Mexican brothers and sisters," said Shaun Harkin, 34, of Chicago's Little Village neighborhood. "I think it's important for all immigrants to stand together."

Asked by Cepeda what individuals can do to "influence how we're going to get along with each other in communities," Ngoan Le of the Chicago Community Trust said, "You need to ... get to know an immigrant and understand why people want to be Americans."

Chicago Sun-Times

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/4491 ... S3.article
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lawless
    Billy Lawless, chairman of the Chicago Celts for Immigration Reform, reminded the group of signs posted in the 1800s that read, "No dogs or Irish welcome" and "No Irish need apply."

"We think we are sophisticated and educated today -- we are no different than we were a 150 years ago," he said.
    Now the signs read no speak Spanish no need to apply!
    So 150 years ago they would hire American only, now they want to hire illegals only. Why do their own words always weaken their argument?

Illegals have NO trouble getting work. It's the citizens who demand a fair wage that can't apply.

"If you will work for 8 bucks an hour, I'll put you to work." ....quote from a contractor to a heavy equipment operator." (This man had worked for this guy previously for $14.00 an hour.) You can't tell me they don't depress wages!!