Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Immigration Dilemma: A Mother Torn From a Baby

Immigration Dilemma: A Mother Torn From a Baby

www.nytimes.com

JULIA PRESTON
    Published: November 17, 2007

Federal immigration agents were searching a house in Ohio last month when they found a young Honduran woman nursing her baby.

SaĂ*da Umanzor, an illegal immigrant who was detained last month and separated from her 9-month-old, Brittney Bejarano.

The woman, SaĂ*da Umanzor, is an illegal immigrant and was taken to jail to await deportation. Her 9-month-old daughter, Brittney Bejarano, who was born in the United States and is a citizen, was put in the care of social workers.

The decision to separate a mother from her breast-feeding child drew strong denunciations from Hispanic and women’s health groups. Last week, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency rushed to issue new guidelines on the detention of nursing mothers, allowing them to be released unless they pose a national security risk.

The case exposes a recurring quandary for immigration authorities as an increasing number of American-born children of illegal immigrants become caught up in deportation operations. With the Bush administration stepping up enforcement, the immigration agency has been left scrambling to devise procedures to deal with children who, by law, do not fall under its jurisdiction because they are citizens.

“We are faced with these sorts of situations frequently, where a large number of individuals come illegally or overstay and have children in the United States,â€

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    I suppose we should stop arresting EVERY criminal in the US who has children.

If BOTH parents are illegal, DEPORT the entire family. No separation... no problem!

This is outrageous! Any child that is on mother's milk can be given infant formula or cow's milk depending on the age of the child without causing the child any harm in any way. This is just another example of how they use their children to get what they want.

I'm sick of illegals and their supporters screaming look at what they did. No lady, look at what you are doing and what you have done to your children. The illegal alien is wrong and is committing a crime and what needs to be done to capture and punish them is what we should be doing. These excuses for letting them off the hook is what has gotten us into this mess. Hiding behind children.

Is anyone supprised that criminal mothers breast feed? I'm not.
    It shouldn't be used as an excuse to evade apprehension.

We are not in the Dark-Ages... Breast milk has been replaced by formula and baby bottles. The baby is fine and can thrive without it's mother.

Look at what she involved her child in. I do not feel sorry for these criminals, nor their children. This is just a bunch of mama-drama. Really, federal agents were searching the home so she plugged the baby in to hide behind.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If I could still have a baby and breast feed then, I could rob a bank and not go to jail?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

LOL! I nursed my sons, and they went to formula just fine after being breastfed. If the sister could wean the baby to a bottle in just a few days, then there's really no argument here.

Had the illegal alien criminal not broken the law by coming to the US without permission, had not broken the law by defying a prior court order to get out of this country, had not dropped 2 anchors here ... the only sympathy this story elicits from me is that for real American citizens who fall under the jurisdiction clause of the 14th Amendment.
    Proud wife of an undocumented ICE agent.
    Definition of a RACIST according to Madeline Cosman : Real American Committed to Integrity Sovereignty and Truth

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyRoss
    If I could still have a baby and breast feed then, I could rob a bank and not go to jail?
    That's the way the pro-illegal crowd wants it -but only for illegals. The scariest part is that these lawbreakers really feel this way...

Her 9-month-old daughter
    by 9 months I no longer breastfed, by that time they have teeth. Very sharp razer like teeth They can actually go on to regular cows milk at that age, they don't even NEED formula. But Mom will be in pain for about a week abruptly stopping.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I didn't nurse for that long, as I was troubled by mastitis, plus 3 out of my 4 babies were huge - two over 9 pounds. The first one, 9 lb 12 oz, wanted to eat every two hours round the clock, so I started supplementing with rice cereal fast. Instead of cows milk I had to use soyalac as cows milk didn't agree with them and caused dreadful diaper rash. I introduced food as they seemed ready and they all did fine. It's all well and good to keep mom and baby together, but in the case of actionable crime, we have no hesitation to separate them for our citizen moms. This is just another case of illegals using their children as human shields.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast