I like to include the readers' comments on these stories from the local paper. Always interesting....

http://nctimes.com/articles/2006/06/..._305_31_06.txt

Immigration enforcement steps up

By: JO MORELAND - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY ---- Federal immigration agents increased their efforts countywide Wednesday to arrest people who are in this country illegally, authorities said.

A team of about a half dozen agents had taken 50 people into custody by late Wednesday afternoon, said Lauren Mack, spokeswoman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency in San Diego.

"The team has stepped up its enforcement activities," Mack said. "It started this morning (Wednesday). In San Diego County, we're looking for about 5,400 immigration fugitives."

The latest effort is part of the Secure Border Initiative, a Department of Homeland Security plan announced in November to secure the nation's borders and reduce illegal immigration.

Mack said the detention process has been streamlined to reduce the number of violators caught and released, fugitive operation teams have been increased to 38 nationwide, and immigration officers will be more active inside the local criminal justice system to make sure criminal illegal immigrants are deported.

"We've been working with immigration for years," said sheriff's Cmdr. Al Skoglund, who is in charge of county jails. "We just had a meeting this afternoon with ICE agents. They're going to be more active in the jail system."

The increased immigration enforcement concerns some community activists, including those working with the heavily Latino population in Vista.

"Even though we know they say they're going after criminals, how do we know they won't be stopping people on the streets?" said Yesenia Balcazar, Coalition for Justice, Peace and Dignity spokeswoman. "We just want to make sure that no human rights or civil rights are violated."

Mack said a six-week backlog for an illegal immigrant to get before an immigration court has been reduced to five days in the county through an expedited removal process. No one is losing their legal rights, she said.

However, in some cases, said immigration attorney Andrea Guerrero, the people arrested don't know their rights. They sometimes lose time they need for legal relief or appeal by going before an immigration judge too quickly, she said.

"I am concerned that the due process safeguards, the judicial safeguards, are at risk when immigration moves quickly," Guerrero said. "In my experience, I have seen lots of mistakes made by all the parties involved."

Balcazar also questioned the overall impact of the additional federal immigration efforts, especially when combined with something like the Sheriff's Department's weekend enforcement this month in Vista to try to deter crime.

The immigration efforts will probably create a wider gap between residents and law enforcement officers because some Latino residents already suspect people in Vista are the target of racial profiling, she said.

Immigration agents were invited by Vista authorities to work with sheriff's deputies during the last three weekends, said Mack. She said the agents arrested 76 suspected immigration violators during those weekends.

"Of the 76, 25 had criminal violations," said Mack.

During the first four months of this year, the spokeswoman said, immigration agents have arrested 270 people countywide during fugitive operations, 163 of them with criminal histories. Sixteen of them were sexual predators, Mack said.

Contact staff writer Jo Moreland at (760) 740-3524 or jmoreland@nctimes.com.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
Peter wrote on May 31, 2006 11:43 PM:"It's about time! Now, let see if this policy continues, or will it stop after the election cycle is over... only time will tell."

Disgusted with NCT wrote on June 01, 2006 5:05 AM:"This article could have concentrated on the issue of increased enforcement against "CRIMINAL" illegals, instead they build in drama by claiming that Vista is guilty of profiling! They go for creating anger instead of just reporting the news! Then a few sentences down they point out that one third of the people arrested over the last 3 weekends had criminal violations, an incredible percentage I would say! It sounds like the work that is being done is paying big returns. "

Good Work by ICE and the Sheriffs wrote on June 01, 2006 5:11 AM:"25 out of 76 had criminal violations! Is that number racial profiling? Is that number of criminals what they expected to find? I don't know but it sounds like it is time well spent, however, when are they going to go after the business owners who hire illegal immigrants? No wants wants to talk about that issue! No one wants to hurt the poor business owner who drives the nice lexus or BMW. NCT should start putting that issue out in front of the public and the world and force the system to address the problem."

Frustrated wrote on June 01, 2006 7:09 AM:"IT IS ABOUT TIME!!! This should have always been the policy. We have to get them out and keep them out. Secure the border and more. Its about time someone started protecting the LEGAL americans. "

Daren wrote on June 01, 2006 7:54 AM:"Go back to raiding the gathering places for illegal day-workers. Round 'em up and send 'em back to whereever they come from. Make them get here legally."

junior wrote on June 01, 2006 8:02 AM:"this has got to stop. if they stop me for any given reason you better believe thati'm going to tell them off for violating my civil rights. i will gather up people for a protest...."

patriot wrote on June 01, 2006 8:10 AM:"Its about time, we desperately need interior enforcement. They can start looking at all the home depots for illegals. Then check the escondido swap meet, which should be shut down."

mr m. wrote on June 01, 2006 9:00 AM:"Hey junior, See you on the other side of the border."

To JR wrote on June 01, 2006 9:21 AM:"Please round them up Junior....I could use another big protest day by the Illegals and their supporters...makes my morning and afternoon commute a breeze...just like it used to be way back when Escondido didnt look like Tijuana."

Yeah junior wrote on June 01, 2006 10:10 AM:"You gather up your people and you protest again. May 1, was a great day for America!!!"

So Cal Native wrote on June 01, 2006 10:54 AM:"There is a white business owner who drives a super nice car to boot right next to me and he would hire nothing but illegals to do there packaging. Now with all of this hipe on criminally charging business owners, he has reverted back to hiring young white people which tells me he was getting scared on being reported to authorities so, this must be working. If you see any business owner having illegals do work for them, THEY MUST BE REPORTED thus, stopping the invasion."