Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration essay sparks anger at Rollins College

WINTER PARK – Jamie Pizzi, a freshman at Rollins College, said she never meant to come across as racist or hateful in the opinion piece she wrote for the campus newspaper last week.

But the essay that's sharply critical of immigrant children has spurred an outcry from some students and faculty.

And while she's upset by all the negative attention — including nasty e-mails and comments left on The Sandspur website — she said she stands by her writing.

"I don't regret what I wrote," Pizzi said. "I regret it was taken that way."

Pizzi's essay questions whether babies born in the United States to illegal immigrants should be automatically given U.S. citizenship. It's accompanied by a picture of a green alien that has apparently taken a guy's clothing and TV.

"These 'anchor babies,' as they are commonly referred, gain full citizenship from simply being born on American soil, and they are entitled to all the same benefits as you and I, including: free public school educations, financial aid for college and even Medicaid," she writes.

The strong reaction from faculty, students and others prompted a big gathering Thursday afternoon in the Bush Science Center auditorium. An estimated 200 to 300 people turned out — a significant crowd for the small private college in Winter Park, organizers said.

Everyone took turns expressing themselves and sharing their views on free press and the role of a school newspaper.

Although members of the paper's staff said they were shocked at the criticism the piece drew — two faculty members even blasted it in e-mails they distributed campus-wide, they said -- they were also glad so many people turned out for Thursday's discussion.

Nick Zazulia, the editor of The Sandspur, said he'd like to see more students step forward to share their opinions in the paper. It needs a diverse range of views, he said.

"One of my great hopes is this will act as a catalyst for that," he said.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ay-immigration

http://media.www.thesandspur.org/med...4Opinions.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://media.www.thesandspur.org/media/ ... storiestab

this looks the be the essay in question.
    check out the comments

Here is the original essay:

Illegal Babies Should be Illegal Citizens
    Jamie Pizzi, Sandspur (Rollins College, Florida), March 17, 2011

[i]How would you feel if a stranger broke into your home, began to eat your food, wear your clothes and watch your television? I am assuming you would not be the slightest bit welcoming to this intruder. Your home and all its contents were purchased with the finances you strenuously worked to obtain.

Under the 14th Amendment, birthright citizenship allows a pregnant foreigner to waltz right over our borders, have a baby, and the baby receives the benefits of being an American citizen.

These benefits, of course, are footed by our tax dollars—not the dollars of their primarily non-tax-paying parents. These “anchor babies,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

more mob rule pressure led by liberal activist professors and their illegal alien supporting minions

W

read the comments of this lady. she claims that the writer is xenophobe when the writer never mentions anyone by race or ethnic background

Kathryn Norsworthy
    Graduate Studies in Counseling

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    this looks the be the essay in question.
    check out the comments
    "Intellectuals arguing! I'm appalled!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    read the comments of this lady. she claims that the writer is xenophobe when the writer never mentions anyone by race or ethnic background

Kathryn Norsworthy
    Graduate Studies in Counseling
    LMAO yeah she must be xenophobic about green aliens.

Waiting for green aliens to sue.

I thought this was a well thought out and well written article. What's the uproar anyway? Everything in the article is true. But then again illegals and their profiteers think Americans are really stupid and can't see the forest for the trees.
    "

yeah i did notice only a couple of replies actually thought she was right.
    some are even saying that as a professor, teacher or whatever that she should stay out of it and not post on there.

The strong reaction from faculty, students and others prompted a big gathering Thursday afternoon in the Bush Science Center auditorium. An estimated 200 to 300 people turned out — a significant crowd for the small private college in Winter Park, organizers said.
    President Bush stated on national TV news a few months ago, if he could change somethings while he was in office, one would be to work harder than he did to correct the immigration problem we have today. President Bush also stated, he felt he did not do enough to fix the growing, increasing illegal immigration problem this Country has, which he regret deeply and more needs to be done to eliminate the burden on tax payers.

President Bush:

We're a nation of immigrants, but also a nation of laws.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/George ... ration.htm

I agree, steps must be taken to fix our Country broken immigration system, otherwise America will become a second Mexico, overridden with criminals of all kinds, illegal substance traffickers, fraud crimes and increase border crossings.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

he tried to work Congress. the problem was that congress works for the american people and the american people said no to amnesty over and over. we still say no to any kind of amnesty.

We do not need new laws to replace laws that are already on the books and have been in some cases, since the 86 amnesty