Published: October 10, 2008 09:15 am

Immigration issue has gone south

BY ROBIN L. QUILLON

I realize there are other issues pressing on Americans right now, but why has the issue of illegal immigration dropped off the radar screen in this presidential debate?

Take a trip south, west, or to the Midwest and you will see firsthand that this issue is still front and center in a big way.

Illegal immigrants are sapping the resources of states, and it will only get worse.

Just last week, more than 300 suspected illegal immigrants were arrested at a chicken-processing plant near Greenville, S.C. – the latest in a stepped-up federal enforcement effort that has resulted in the deportation of thousands of illegal workers in recent months.

Why should illegal immigration be an issue?

Consider this: In 1990, there were an estimated 3.5 million illegal immigrants living in the United States, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of Citizenship Immigration Services.

During the next 10 years, that number grew by 350,000 each year to 7 million in 2000. From 2000 to 2006, it has been growing by an estimated 750,000 to 800,000 per year to bring us to our current estimated total of more than 12 million illegal aliens living in this country.

It is estimated that, of that 12 million, 9 million are Mexicans.

While the number of legal immigrants has remained fairly steady through the years, the number of illegal immigrants crossing the Mexican border has doubled since 2000, as has their population.

Should we care? How do other countries feel about illegal immigrants?

I’d like to share with you an interesting item – in italics below – that I came across. I don’t know the name of the author and, therefore, cannot give proper credit.

p p p

If you are ready for the adventure of a lifetime, TRY THIS:

Enter Mexico illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.

Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care for you and your entire family.

Demand bilingual nurses and doctors.

Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc. Procreate abundantly.

Deflect any criticism of this allegedly irresponsible reproductive behavior with, “It is a cultural USA thing, you would not understand, pal.â€