Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration marchers return to LA park

Immigration marchers return to LA park
    By DAISY NGUYEN, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 11 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - About 2,000 immigration reform demonstrators marched peacefully Thursday to the park where protesters and journalists clashed with police during a rally earlier this month.

Organizers said the purpose of the demonstration was to strengthen the immigrant community's trust that they could exercise their constitutional rights. It came hours after the White House and top lawmakers announced a deal that would grant legal status to millions of illegal immigrants if approved.

"We are hardworking people. We just want to be here legally," said Maria Navas, a sewing factory worker from El Salvador who has been in Los Angeles for 14 years.

Marchers gathered in front of a church for a town hall-style meeting before a procession to MacArthur Park west of downtown. Police spokeswoman Mary Grady said the department kept officers on overtime in case they were needed.

Four investigations are ongoing into the May 1 melee, and two commanders have been removed. At that event, riot police struck demonstrators and journalists with batons and fired more than 240 rubber bullets to disperse the crowd. Officers say they responded after being pelted by rocks and bottles. No one was seriously hurt, but at least 60 citizen complaints involving as many as 100 officers have been filed.

People waved from windows in tall office buildings as the marchers filed past Thursday. When people arrived at MacArthur Park, a police officer used a bullhorn to direct marchers in Spanish, saying "Thank you for your cooperation."

The peaceful crowd banged on drums and waved mostly U.S. flags, as well as those from Mexico, El Salvador and other Latin American countries. Police estimated the crowd at about 2,000.

"If there are a lot of people who come today, maybe the lawmakers in Washington will take notice. The immigrants are here; they deserve a chance," said participant Alberto Reyes.

This time, police patrolled on bicycles or stood by. Officers planned to pass out fliers with a message printed in English, Spanish and Korean.

"The Los Angeles Police Department is committed to working in cooperation with the event organizers to protect your right to free speech," the flier said. "We wish to allow you to engage in marches, demonstrations, protests and rallies in the city of Los Angeles to freely express your opinions."

Marchers differed on the legislative immigration plan, which would require illegal immigrants to return home to apply for residency, pay a $5,000 fine and potentially wait eight to 13 years for permanent residency. Debate on the proposal is set to begin Monday in the Senate.

A factory worker, Ricardo Cristobal, said that he thought the $5,000 fine was too high and that he was participating in his third march "so the government can hear us and legalize us."

Also among the marchers was actor Martin Sheen, who said he was supporting immigrant rights because his parents came to the United States as immigrants from Spain and Ireland.

"Today I march under my real name, which is Ramon Estevez," Sheen said.

He said he supported the measures in Congress. "It's a good start. It's not going to satisfy everybody, and it's not going to solve the problem, but it's as good as one can do under the circumstances," Sheen said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070518/ap_ ... ally_clash
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The report comes out on May 30th, which is when the Mayor should fire/demote the bad cops. Then he should stand beside the LAPD.
    This is disgraceful!
    They should just disband the LAPD and move the Mexican Federales/Police in now.

We all know who is in charge of LA now.

Mayor, Speaker To Join Rally Protesting LAPD Behavior
    Police Chief Also Plans To Attend; Deputy Chief To Retire
    POSTED: 6:38 am PDT May 17, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:03 am PDT May 17, 2007
    LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez are expected to join immigrant-rights protesters Thursday at a rally denouncing police behavior during a May 1 immigration rights rally.
    The event begins at 5:30 p.m. with a town hall-style meeting at Immanuel Presbyterian Church, located at Wilshire Boulevard and Berendo Street, followed at 6 p.m. by a 10-block procession to MacArthur Park, where organizers will hold a candlelight vigil and a series of performances.
    "The LAPD denied our community both a political and physical space to nonviolently claim our rights to legalization for all undocumented immigrants and a fair immigration reform for the country," said the event's organizer, Mexican American Political Association President Nativo Lopez. "Political leaders and organizations throughout the country stand solidly with us."
    Due to street closures related to the events, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will re-route 14 bus lines operating on and around Wilshire Boulevard between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. The affected bus lines are 18, 20, 21, 26, 51, 52, 200, 201, 204, 209, 352, 603, 720 and 754, according to Metro officials. Signs will be posted at affected bus stops to inform riders when and where the buses will be detoured.
    Demonstrators, journalists and police officers were injured at the end of an immigration march in MacArthur Park May 1, when police tried to disperse some people who moved off the sidewalk into Alvarado Street.
    Some demonstrators responded by throwing plastic bottles and rocks at officers, according to police. Officers clad in riot gear used batons and fired 146 rounds of foam-rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.
    A preliminary version of the LAPD's after-action report will be heard by the full City Council on May 30. In a separate investigation, the department is checking into complaints filed by demonstrators and journalists injured during the fracas.
    A third LAPD investigation is aimed at searching for those who allegedly started the confrontation by throwing rocks and plastic bottles at officers.
    Separately, the Police Commission is investigating the matter, while the FBI launched a preliminary probe to determine whether the LAPD committed civil rights violations.
    Police Chief William Bratton has blamed a leadership breakdown at the scene for police measures that he has described as inappropriate.
    Bratton To Attend; Deputy Chief To Retire
    Bratton, who will be at the LAPD's assembly area at Thursday's rally, according to his office, told KPCC-FM on Wednesday that the ranking officer who was in MacArthur Park during the May 1 melee has decided to retire rather than continue on home duty pending an investigation.
    Bratton announced last week that Deputy Chief Cayler "Lee" Carter Jr. Carter was being demoted from deputy chief to commander and reassigned from his job as command officer of Operations Central Bureau to his home.
    The chief said Wednesday that Carter has decided to retire effective June. 6.
    We call things racism just to get attention.We reduce complicated problems to racism,not because it is racism, but because it works
    AlfredoGutierrez

That is disgusting,A mayor of an American city with a Mexican flag

I am confused. Do these 'sanctuary cities' still get federal money? How is it possible? They refuse to enforce the law, dont they?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_tea
    I am confused. Do these 'sanctuary cities' still get federal money? How is it possible? They refuse to enforce the law, dont they?
    Welcome Boston_tea. Yes, these 'santuary cities' still get federal money. As far as I know, it's more of a declaration than anything, ICE can still come in and do their job, although we know how often that's done.

This reminds me of while listening to the John and Ken Show today they played Villaroigosa's speech Monday which can be found at the following link, just look under "Villaraigosa Mayday Protest Spanish Speech." John and Ken were saying we should send that video to people across the country warning them of what could happen to their city in the future.
    http://www.johnandkenshow.com/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"The immigrants are here; they deserve a chance"

Screw that! I wonder how the police would feel in my town if I broke into my next door neighbors house and when they showed up tell them since I'm already in the house I deserve a chance to grab some goods. Wonder if they'd give me a head start running

"We are hardworking people. We just want to be here legally"

Too late for that now isn't it?

"Police spokeswoman Mary Grady said the department kept officers on overtime in case they were needed."

And who's paying this overtime? Besides it has been shown that LA cops can't even do their jobs anymore so what good will they be?

Quote Originally Posted by katydid278
    "The immigrants are here; they deserve a chance"

Screw that! I wonder how the police would feel in my town if I broke into my next door neighbors house and when they showed up tell them since I'm already in the house I deserve a chance to grab some goods
    . Wonder if they'd give me a head start running

"We are hardworking people. We just want to be here legally"

Too late for that now isn't it?

"Police spokeswoman Mary Grady said the department kept officers on overtime in case they were needed."

And who's paying this overtime? Besides it has been shown that LA cops can't even do their jobs anymore so what good will they be?
    Like your analogy. The lack of logic in their premise is, certifiable. Hubby and I were wondering how much all the police protection is costing too. Around the country in fact. Personally, letting them stay at all is Tyranny. We really have no representation with some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston_tea
    Welcome Boston_tea. Yes, these 'santuary cities' still get federal money. As far as I know, it's more of a declaration than anything, ICE can still come in and do their job, although we know how often that's done.

This reminds me of while listening to the John and Ken Show today they played Villaroigosa's speech Monday which can be found at the following link, just look under "Villaraigosa Mayday Protest Spanish Speech." John and Ken were saying we should send that video to people across the country warning them of what could happen to their city in the future.
    http://www.johnandkenshow.com/
    Jean thank you. Followed the link, the windows media upgrade came on. Will wait till my husband can look at it tomorrow. Think the computer is running out of memory. Look forward to watching it. If its anything like Sen Graham ...an emotion with smoke comin out of the ears would work....(Are people suppose to know how to use the fancy post options? Where do you learn? sorry off topic.)

Organizers said the purpose of the demonstration was to strengthen the immigrant community's trust that they could exercise their constitutional rights. It came hours after the White House and top lawmakers announced a deal that would grant legal status to millions of illegal immigrants if approved.

"We are hardworking people. We just want to be here legally," said Maria Navas, a sewing factory worker from El Salvador who has been in Los Angeles for 14 years.
    THERE'S THE KICKER...........NOT legal & CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.
    Do they go together in some sort of NEW package?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by sd_hog
    The report comes out on May 30th, which is when the Mayor should fire/demote the bad cops. Then he should stand beside the LAPD.
    This is disgraceful!
    They should just disband the LAPD and move the Mexican Federales/Police in now.

We all know who is in charge of LA now.

Mayor, Speaker To Join Rally Protesting LAPD Behavior
    Police Chief Also Plans To Attend; Deputy Chief To Retire
    POSTED: 6:38 am PDT May 17, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:03 am PDT May 17, 2007
    LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez are expected to join immigrant-rights protesters Thursday at a rally denouncing police behavior during a May 1 immigration rights rally.
    The event begins at 5:30 p.m. with a town hall-style meeting at Immanuel Presbyterian Church, located at Wilshire Boulevard and Berendo Street, followed at 6 p.m. by a 10-block procession to MacArthur Park, where organizers will hold a candlelight vigil and a series of performances.
    "The LAPD denied our community both a political and physical space to nonviolently claim our rights to legalization for all undocumented immigrants and a fair immigration reform for the country," said the event's organizer, Mexican American Political Association President Nativo Lopez. "Political leaders and organizations throughout the country stand solidly with us."
    Due to street closures related to the events, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will re-route 14 bus lines operating on and around Wilshire Boulevard between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. The affected bus lines are 18, 20, 21, 26, 51, 52, 200, 201, 204, 209, 352, 603, 720 and 754, according to Metro officials. Signs will be posted at affected bus stops to inform riders when and where the buses will be detoured.
    Demonstrators, journalists and police officers were injured at the end of an immigration march in MacArthur Park May 1, when police tried to disperse some people who moved off the sidewalk into Alvarado Street.
    Some demonstrators responded by throwing plastic bottles and rocks at officers, according to police. Officers clad in riot gear used batons and fired 146 rounds of foam-rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.
    A preliminary version of the LAPD's after-action report will be heard by the full City Council on May 30. In a separate investigation, the department is checking into complaints filed by demonstrators and journalists injured during the fracas.
    A third LAPD investigation is aimed at searching for those who allegedly started the confrontation by throwing rocks and plastic bottles at officers.
    Separately, the Police Commission is investigating the matter, while the FBI launched a preliminary probe to determine whether the LAPD committed civil rights violations.
    Police Chief William Bratton has blamed a leadership breakdown at the scene for police measures that he has described as inappropriate.
    Bratton To Attend; Deputy Chief To Retire
    Bratton, who will be at the LAPD's assembly area at Thursday's rally, according to his office, told KPCC-FM on Wednesday that the ranking officer who was in MacArthur Park during the May 1 melee has decided to retire rather than continue on home duty pending an investigation.
    Bratton announced last week that Deputy Chief Cayler "Lee" Carter Jr. Carter was being demoted from deputy chief to commander and reassigned from his job as command officer of Operations Central Bureau to his home.
    The chief said Wednesday that Carter has decided to retire effective June. 6.
    This reminds me: Did anyone catch an MSNBC live interview, with a Man and organizer of the Marches...he was boasting in the boast said something that astonished me. it had to do with.'....We shut down the ports across the west coast...'
    The producer must have been telling the anchor to come back to That, as she slightly tilted her head and then brought him back to his statement. Anyone, out there, did you hear this as well? Do you know if That is being looked into? It was said the day of the big march in May. Do not know the Organizers name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast