6/3/2009 5:00:02 PM
Comments (11)
By Sarah Doty

Post-Bulletin, Austin MN

AUSTIN An immigration protest on the front lawn of the Mower County Courthouse turned into a debate Wednesday, with counter-protesters carrying signs that called the protest racist.

Robert Hester, a self-described Nazi skinhead, co-organized the rally, which he called "America for American's."

"I am here because I am sick and tired of illegals taking American jobs," he said. "They come, and come, and come, and no one does anything about it."

Meanwhile, others pushed contrasting views.

Jenna Weber, 18, was holding a sign that said, "Fight ignorance, not immigration."

The Austin resident was there "to support rights for all human beings, regardless of race, nationality, etc.," she said.

"I want to open people's eyes," she said, "that people who are young and not Hispanic even support this."

Marvin Persoon and Steve Simon were there listening to Hester. They agreed with his speech.

"I am here protecting American jobs," Persoon said.

Simon, a native of Austin, was there because he has "seen a great retirement community turn into a community where my wife and kids are scared to go to the park."

Simon also stressed that for him, "this has nothing to do with racism." It was, he said, strictly about legal versus illegal immigrants.

Another counter-protester was Jessica Torres, who was leading a chant of, "What do we want? Human rights. When do we want it? Now."

She is only 13, but she was there to "fight for the rights of illegal immigrants."

Check back to the Post-Bulletin for further updates on this developing story.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager ... 2&a=402461