Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration raids in Houston today

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=4092033

Immigration officials round up undocumented workers
    Raids part of a larger effort

By Andy Cerota

Raids held at Houston area businesses
    Wednesday morning are part of a larger
    effort to crack down on undocumented workers.

(4/19/06 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - Businesses accused of hiring undocumented workers are being raided. One of the businesses is on the North Loop near McCarty and another is located on Flintlock.

It started shortly after 8am Wednesday. It's happening at the IFCO Systems, a company that manufactures wood pallets on the north side of town.

A bus from the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement is on the scene. Federal agents are questioning and then loading the workers onto a bus. What's not clear is exactly how many of them are actually undocumented immigrants.

Authorities are not making any statements this morning. We do know that this is part of a larger, on-going investigation into those businesses that may be hiring undocumented workers.

Right now a lot of the relatives of the workers are showing up on the scene. We spoke with a man whose brother-in-law from El Salvador is among those being taken into custody. He says his brother-in-law is here illegally, smuggled into the country two months ago.

"He called up my sister, right," said Elmer Duran. "He telling her they got a big bus from immigration over here. That's it, you know. He can't say no more."

There's another raid at a business in northwest Houston. It's believed to be a similar situation, but the business itself is still unclear.

Stay with ABC13 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.
    (Copyright © 2006, KTRK-TV)

They should fine the business owners 50 grand per illegal, set an example, and make it the norm.

a company that manufactures wood pallets
    So they have all the drug dealers, gang bangers, etc. rounded up? I guess our sensitive facilities are safe also.

We can't have them messing with our wooden pallet supply!!

Problem is, it's a DOG AND PONY show....last year there was virtually NO ENFORCEMENT....now suddenly as the Senate and BIG BUSINESS try to force AMNESTY (Earned Citizenship) down our throats, they are trying to appease us by making it appear as if they are actually doing something to stem the tide.

Nothing, then all of a sudden as we start waking up and letting our voice be heard, they are conveniently making a few high profile raids to carry the six o'clock news, and shut us up by tossing us a bone...do not be fooled. If they were/are so concerned, where were they during the marches? Where are they getting a list of every student who skipped school, every employee who missed work, and taking that list and paying some visits to their homes to check documents? It's one big charade, and I am not falling for it.

Pinto Bean
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianleather
    They should fine the business owners 50 grand per illegal, set an example, and make it the norm.
    ITA!!! Hopefully more states will follow in Texas footsteps!

Funny how they can enforce the law so selectively. Why these businesses when Houston, Dallas, all of Texas if FULL of businesses hiring illegals. Why was Tyson able to come out and publicize that they were giving their employees the day off for the rallies? Why weren't THEY raided?

Looks to me like someone forgot to pay thier protection money this month!
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

Trust me when I say this......even this action is a MAJOR step in this area. Houston and the surrounding areas (which is the "Holy Land" of Texas Independence) are overrun with illegal aliens and their criminal supporters. Any actions taken to deport these criminals is welcome. Whether it's a pallet company or a construction company. It is a start.
    SD Wheeler - Leader of the 2nd Great Texas Independence Revolution

I agree it is a bone thrown to us, but we must keep the pressure on to our state legislators and the government and maybe then it could (wishful thinking) be the norm.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Apparently, the raids were at IFCO locations in eight states not just Houston. Raids took place at several locations in upstate New York and in Biglerville, Pa.; Charlotte, N.C.; Cincinnati, Houston, Phoenix, Richmond, Va., and Westborough, Mass.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... 05419.html

April 19, 2006, 5:13PM
    Pallet Maker Target in Immigration Raids
    By MARK SHERMAN Associated Press Writer
    © 2006 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Immigration agents arrested seven executives and hundreds of employees of a manufacturer of crates and pallets Wednesday as part of a crackdown on employers of illegal workers.

Authorities raided offices and plants of IFCO Systems in at least eight states, the culmination of a yearlong criminal investigation, law enforcement officials said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested seven current and former IFCO Systems managers on charges they conspired to transport, harbor and encourage illegal workers to reside in the United States for commercial advantage and private financial gain, said Glenn T. Suddaby, the chief federal prosecutor in Albany, N.Y., where some arrests were made.

ICE spokeswoman Jamie Zuieback confirmed an unspecified number of raids and arrests, but declined to provide additional details because the investigation was continuing. One official, speaking on condition of anonymity because numbers were still being tallied, said the arrests were in the hundreds.

Raids took place at several locations in upstate New York and in Biglerville, Pa.; Charlotte, N.C.; Cincinnati, Houston, Phoenix, Richmond, Va., and Westborough, Mass.

"ICE has no tolerance for corporate officers who harbor illegal aliens for their work force. Today's nationwide enforcement actions show how we will use all our investigative tools to bring these individuals to justice, no matter how large or small their company," said ICE chief Julie Myers.

She and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff are expected on Thursday to lay out an immigration enforcement strategy that targets employers' disregard for immigration law.

Last week, operators of three restaurants in Baltimore pleaded guilty to similar immigration charges, while nine people affiliated with two temporary employment agencies that do business in New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania were charged in a $5.3 million scheme involving the employment and harboring of illegal aliens.

Several immigration proposals pending in Congress would stiffen penalties against employers who hire illegal immigrants.

German-based IFCO Systems describes itself as the leading pallet services company in the United States, focusing on recycling millions of the wooden platforms used to stack and move all manner of goods. It operates about five dozen facilities nationwide and has been expanding steadily, according to the company's Web site.

IFCO Systems did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

The current and former IFCO Systems managers arrested were identified by Suddaby as: Michael Ames, 44, Shrewsbury, Mass.; Robert Belvin, 43, Clifton Park, N.Y.; Abelino Chicas, 40, Houston; Scott Dodge, 43, Albany; William Hoskins, 29, Cincinnati; James Rice, 36, Houston, and Dario Salzano, 36, Amsterdam, N.Y.

Last year, Wal-Mart stores agreed to pay $11 million to settle allegations concerning the employment and mistreatment of illegal immigrants.

Wal-Mart has maintained that top executives did not know that cleaning contractors were hiring illegal immigrants, who sometimes slept in the backs of stores. An ICE affidavit unsealed as part of that case, however, asserted that two executives were aware of the practice.

Well -- something is usually better than nothing.
    But in this case - I doubt it.

Our Govt is a few decades more than just a day late
    and a few 100 billion dollars more than a dollar short...

Kudos to the guys on the front lines.
    However -- I wont settle for anything less than the
    removal of ALL illegal Aliens from our shores.

I want my Wall of China
    I want the Illegals GONE
    I want the Criminals that have been helping and encouraging the Illegals -
    Arrested -
    Tried -
    Convicted - and
    Thrown-in-Jail - for not less than 5-years.
    That includes - Politicians - Businessmen - County Officials - Church Officials - et al.

I want La Raza outlawed
    I want AZTLAN outlawed
    I want Mechista outlawed
    I want ALL the Mexican Consulates closed down
    I want ALL Gang Members - (bloods - crips - mechista's) - ALL of 'em -
    Hunted down and Shot Dead-
    Just as if they were Al Qaeda pigs - which, of course - they are.

We should start with the ones we have in prison.

<div align="center">Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
    John F. Kennedy
    </div>