Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration Reform Supporters Take Piecemeal Approach

Immigration Reform Supporters Take Piecemeal Approach

By John Stanton
    Roll Call Staff
    May 29, 2011, 3 p.m.

The Supreme Court’s decision Thursday to uphold an Arizona illegal immigration law is unlikely to boost the chances of comprehensive reform this year. But although a sweeping immigration bill may be dead for now, supporters are pursuing narrower bills that they hope will find some bipartisan support.

The court’s 5-3 ruling upholds an Arizona E-Verify law allowing state officials to penalize businesses for hiring illegal immigrants. Although Sen. Bob Menendez, a leading supporter of immigration reform, said the ruling was a “further example of Congress’ failure to enact comprehensiveâ€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I hope Gutierass ends his tour in shame, better yet I hope he comes here spouting that crap! Cause I'll be spouting "I want my job back! you backstabbing traitor!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Illegal immigration will cause many to lose positions throughout the U.S., because citizens have made it very clear they are against amnesty for undocumented aliens, but it is being pursued any way.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Steve wrote:

I hope Gutierass ends his tour in shame, better yet I hope he comes here spouting that crap! Cause I'll be spouting "I want my job back! you backstabbing traitor!"
    He has already shamed himself. He is corrupt, no doubt about it.

http://www.redstate.com/moe_lane/2008/1 ... ate-deals/

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    Nice spin on his name!! If the name fits, ye shall wear it!
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Steve wrote:

He has already shamed himself. He is corrupt, no doubt about it.

http://www.redstate.com/moe_lane/2008/1 ... ate-deals/
    Meet Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D, IL-4). He likes real estate deals.

You probably already know where this is going, right?

Posted by Moe Lane (Profile)

Friday, December 19th at 10:01AM EST
    2 Comments

Recommenders: Stan(ley) Pruss

Blagojevich crony, by the way. Mentioned in passing in this WSJ article, so I took a look-see, and hey: acts like you’d expect a Blagojevich crony would.

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez has made more than $420,000 on real estate deals
    Many are done with campaign contributors

When U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez was looking to buy in the sizzling Bucktown real estate market, he teamed up with a developer and longtime political donor who sold him a plot of land and built him a new home.

And when the congressman decided not to move into the home, the developer, Krzysztof Karbowski, was there to buy it back.

Gutierrez walked away with nearly $200,000.

From the same article, this is particularly interesting, from a general ethics standard:

Among the reasons his real estate dealings do not cause conflicts, Gutierrez has said, is that he never interferes in local zoning matters. But the Tribune reported in October that Gutierrez sent a letter to Mayor Richard Daley seeking support for a controversial project built by one of the congressman’s political donors who also had lent him money. The newspaper reported that federal authorities investigating zoning matters have shown interest in the Gutierrez letter.

Further, Karbowski and several of the developers who did real estate deals with Gutierrez obtained key zoning changes for other projects from Ald. Manuel Flores (1st), his former aide and political ally.

And this would be the article mentioned above:

Congressman’s $200,000 loan
    U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez’s loan from a developer who contributes to his campaign raises questions about how clout drives the city’s zoning system

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez personally lobbied Mayor Richard Daley to back a controversial multimillion-dollar development for a campaign contributor who had just lent the congressman $200,000 in a real estate deal, a Tribune investigation has found.

Now the congressman’s unusual gesture of support is under federal scrutiny as authorities investigate how developers overcame city planners’ objections to convert the West Side industrial site into a more profitable residential and commercial development.

Authorities have obtained Gutierrez’s July 7, 2004, letter to Daley—written on U.S. House stationery—as part of their grand jury investigation into how zoning works inside City Hall, sources told the Tribune.

Note, by the way, that the developer in question - one Calvin Boender - has donated $41,000 to Gutierrez over the years. Also note the letter (found here), which is… an attempt to interfere in local zoning matters. On official Congressional stationery, too. Daley’s office is claiming that said letter had nothing to do with the property being rezoned from industrial to residential/commercial after years of resistance, of course.

To not-actually-change the subject: do you know how they usually catch spies? It’s very interesting, really. You see, there are a bunch of simple precautions that you can take that, if they’re followed, will make it almost impossible for counter-intelligence types to get a line on your activities, and thus catch you. And most spies take those precautions assiduously. And they don’t get caught. And they stop worrying about it quite so much. And eventually they break a rule. And nothing happens to them. And so they conclude that maybe they don’t really have anything to worry about, so they stop taking the more annoyingly tedious precautions. And nothing still happens. And they get sloppy. And nothing still happens… until the conditions change, and somebody notices something, and then they show up like a forest fire on infrared.

The conditions have changed in Illinois. The first change was the unleashing of Patrick Fitzgerald upon Chicago like a wolf upon the fold; the second stems from the first, and it’s the way that Fitzgerald has steadily worked his way up the ladder until he’s now indicting people who know things. Both of these would be fun by themselves. But what’s really causing the synergistic schadenfreude here is the third change: the next President - and his inner circle - is from Illinois. Even if they’re all clean (and I’m not claiming for a second that Obama et. al. is involved in Gutierrez’ real estate shenanigans), the fact that there are multiple corruption investigations going on in their home state make those investigations especially newsworthy.

So, no matter how personally upset that you might be at Obama right now*, take some satisfaction from this: it’s a sentiment shared by any number of corrupt, formerly complacent political suckweasels.

Moe Lane

*A group that currently includes a rather large subsection of the progressive movement, not that they’ll dare do anything about it.

"Well! Well! looky what we have here!" We should all ask Mr. Issa to have a look at this letter from ol' Luis!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Added to Homepage with amended title:
    http://www.alipac.us/article-6321--0-0.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn