Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Immigration vs. environment

http://www.dailycamera.com

Immigration vs. environment
    Lamm: Stance is a green thing, but many disagree

By Kate Larsen, Camera Staff Writer
    January 23, 2006

Dick Lamm wants people to think about why immigration is bad for the planet.

The Democrat and former three-term Colorado governor is part of a group pushing to ban illegal immigrants from using state services. He doesn't want to be pegged a racist for joining the right on the issue, though. For Lamm, it's about the big picture.

"The ecosystem doesn't need another 300 million consuming Americans," he said. "I'm just appalled that the environmental movement, in its political correctness, doesn't take on this question of how big we want to be."

Arguments against immigration are usually framed around economics, health care and its effects on school systems in the United States.

Lamm talks about those issues. But he says the biggest consequence of immigration into this country — legal or illegal — is that it creates more people who adopt the wasteful American lifestyle.

"The globe is warming, our rainforests are disappearing and our farmland is blowing away," said Lamm, executive director of the University of Denver's Center for Public Policy and Contemporary Issues. "Most people are just going to have to bloom where they're planted."

Most environmentalists agree with Lamm that 20 percent of the world's richest people are consuming at least 80 percent of the resources. But they're not all ready to join his fight against immigration.

"I think there are much better ways to solving resource depletion and environmental problems than closing our borders," said Steve Welter, a Boulder resident and chairman of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Sierra Club.

Welter recommends an international approach to sustainability.

Ken Bickers, a University of Colorado political science professor, said Lamm's argument is a "blame-the-victim policy."

"It's the idea that if people seeking a better life do that, it would be bad for the globe, rather than talking about how it's the people who have the high standard of living that are causing the degradation," Bickers said.

Lamm does support increasing foreign aid to developing countries and halting the production of cars that get less than 40 miles per gallon.

"Immigration isn't the only thing I'm working on," he said.

After "bumming around" in India — the world's second most populous country — about 30 years ago and witnessing the poverty there, Lamm said population control became his life's devotion.

"Liberals should really love borders," he said. "They're the only way our social services can sustain."

Marta Valenzuela Moreno, director of the Longmont-based nonprofit El Comite, which provides resources for Latino families and many immigrants, said the former governor's stance "irritates her."

Immigrants coming to the United States have the opportunity for a better education, she said, which makes them more responsible citizens.

Al Bartlett, a retired CU professor famous for his talk about the dangers of population growth, said the United States needs to focus on its total numbers, not just immigrants.

The U.S. population is expected to hit 300 million this year, up from 150 million in 1950.

"Immigration is estimated to be about three-quarters of the population growth in the U.S.," Bartlett said. "But the problem is numbers, not people."

Bartlett said Americans should work to make sure every child worldwide is a wanted child.

"I think that would solve the population problem," Bartlett said.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Kate Larsen at (303) 473-1361 or larsenk@dailycamera.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Immigration vs. environment

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    The U.S. population is expected to hit 300 million this year, up from 150 million in 1950.

"Immigration is estimated to be about three-quarters of the population growth in the U.S.," Bartlett said. "But the problem is numbers, not people."
    I couldn't agree with Lamm more that the biggest threat to the USA as well as other first world nations is overpopulation by third world immigrants, both legal and illegal. They breed at a much higher rate. This is the worst destruction of Planet Earth and the environment: overpopulation. Massive legal and illegal immigration is just shifting burdens and for the amount of people the world adds annually, it only makes a very small dent even with the amount of people who are allowed to legally immigrate from 3rd world to 1st world.

Shame on all environmental groups who don't see immigration as the major problem in what is their cause to fight. They claim to be concerned about the environment, but if they don't directly tackle illegal immigration and overpopulation, they are hypocrites in my opinion. I am especially disgusted with the Sierra Club for trying to be so PC.

I expect in coming years, or even sooner such as months, if these issues of overpopulation are not dealt with, we are going to see much less PC sentiment among the average citizens who are going to be more worried about where their next job, meal or drink of water is going to come from.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

A Wall Street fund manager, David Gelbaum, bought off the Sierra Club with a $100 million donation.

Also, allowing poor immigrants (mainly illegals) into the US actually increases the overall world population.

Poor immigrants have 50% more children in the US than in their country of origin. This adds about 1 million more people to the world population each year.