Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Indiana: Immigration bill draws heated House debate

I didn't see this, apologies if its a dupe.

Immigration bill draws heated House debate
    Foes label plan racially discriminatory

Cracking down on illegal immigration in Indiana will turn employers into racial profilers and lead to a mass exodus of much-needed workers, opponents predicted Wednesday.

Their warning came at a hearing at the Statehouse during which state Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, the author of Senate Bill 335, was accused of promoting a racially discriminatory bill.

"I think you are opening the door for prejudice directed at minorities who are not white," state Rep. Vanessa Summers, D-Indianapolis, told Delph during one heated exchange.
    "Maybe it's the color of my skin. I look at it differently," said Summers, who is black.

"I think," Delph responded, "people are sick and tired of people playing the race card every time they stand up for the law."
    After the hearing, Summers was even more blunt: "I would just like to kill the bill."That was a feeling echoed by many during three hours of testimony before the House Public Policy Committee. It was the first opportunity for House members to weigh in on the issue this session.
    Equally passionate comments were made by supporters who applauded Delph several times and who took turns with opponents at the podium.
    Committee Chairman Rep. Trent Van Haaften, D-Mount Vernon, said he expects to hear the bill again early next week, at which time some changes are probable.

A proposed amendment has already been drafted, strengthening the bill by removing a loophole that would exempt employers that hire seasonal workers. The amendment would lower the exemption level from 1,500 hours a year (which seasonal workers typically would not work) to just 500 hours. The amendment also addresses law enforcement provisions in the bill, forbidding local police from attempting to make a final determination on a person's citizenship on their own. Instead, they would have to rely on federal immigration sources for this.
    It would also make it a misdemeanor for a person to file a false illegal immigration claim against a company. And it would grant the governor the power to override a judge's decision to revoke a business license.

The amendment also calls for $1.5 million for the attorney general and Indiana State Police, who will be asked to work with federal immigration authorities to establish training and guidelines for local enforcement of federal immigration laws.
    That financial provision means the bill will also have to be heard by the House Ways and Means Committee, which would have to pass the bill in order for the full House to take a vote.

Questions, questions
    Wednesday's hearing drew more than 50 people to the House chambers. Speakers included paid lobbyists, small-business owners and a Catholic priest from South Bend -- many of whom predicted the bill would send Hispanic residents out of the state for fear of persecution.
    The Rev. Chris Cox, the priest from South Bend, said some of the state's "most vulnerable" people will be hurt and will likely flee if Delph's bill is passed.

"What will be the economic impact if they all leave? How much revenue will be lost in local taxes, layoffs and vacant homes?" asked Cox. "If you cannot answer these questions as policymakers, don't vote for this bill."
    Tony Rogers, a local businessman, said passing the bill could lead to "a mass exodus of 100,000 people from this state."
    "We have to stop and think about how that is going to affect our economy.

These people are buying homes, buying cars, they are paying taxes. I think we are shooting ourselves in the foot."
    About 55,000 to 85,000 unauthorized immigrants live in Indiana, according to 2006 estimates from the Pew Hispanic Center.
    Rep. Jackie Walorski, R-Lakeville, took exception with Rogers' argument, recalling that a few years ago federal agents raided a company in her district, a raid that resulted in 14 job openings.

"More than 200 people applied for those 14 jobs," Walorski said. "When I saw that, it started to change my attitude on the work force. Those 200 people were grateful for the opportunity to apply for those jobs."
    But Rogers questioned whether American workers would be willing to take all the jobs that might be open should a mass Hispanic exodus take place.
    "They will laugh at me when I tell them what I am going to pay," Rogers said. "Or, they just won't show up the next month. We're lucky to get one decent employee. There are people sitting at home who don't want that job."

George Raymond, a lobbyist for the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, said he does not condone illegal immigration, but he, too, predicted big problems if the bill is passed.
    "This bill will lead to further discrimination of an employee based on color."
    Rep. Eric Turner, R-Marion, told Raymond that a very high percentage of his constituents want the state to do something about illegal immigration. "What would you suggest we do?"

Raymond responded that the better way to address the issue is to force employers to terminate employees who hire illegal workers, rather than revoke their business license. He would also like to raise the threshold, in effect only prosecuting companies that hire 50 or more illegal workers, rather than just a handful.
    "It's unconscionable to put 3,000 people out of work for hiring three illegal aliens over 10 years. You are not punishing the guilty, you are punishing the innocent," Raymond said. "A good employer cannot always control what one or two bad employees are doing."

Call Star reporter Dan McFeely at (317) 444-5506.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... /802140442

"They will laugh at me when I tell them what I am going to pay," Rogers said. "
    Evidently your not paying minimum wage are you Mr Rogers!

Indiana is some what unique. It has historically been a state heavily influenced by conservitive principles. So inclined towards conservitive thought that Presidential canidates rarely ever venture into the state. Democrats feel (on the federal level) that money is wasted if too much time were to be spent in Indiana. Republicans have no need to campaign heavily in Indiana, it is in the bag.

IMHO, If the state changes the demographics in favor of business interest before the best interest of the citizens, Indiana could become a state that would be open to Presidential campaigns.

While all citizens of Indiana may not be able to spell 'potato', most Hoosiers know what a potato looks like,........and sounds like!

Go Hoosiers, Go Ron Paul!

"I think," Delph responded, "people are sick and tired of people playing the race card every time they stand up for the law."

Truer Words were never spoken!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Maybe it is time for these states to start playing offense....they need to start asking these people to put forth ways to enforce the laws we now have..

We have laws...How do we enforce them?
    We have people in this country illegally? How do we fix it?

You come up with answers to how we enforce the law...and we do not want to hear it can not be done...Just what will make you happy? and still enforce the rule of law..

This legislature should tell everyone in these meeting to go home think about it and come up with alternative answers for the next meeting! But have answers that solve the illegal problem(not amnesty) or we will pass these laws!

...............EMERGENCY ALERT" 2/14.................
    PLEASE help take Action!!! NOW "Indiana"
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-103828.html
    STILL WORKING ON UTAH....ALSO
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-103479.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Indiana --Summers

Well, feeling very active today _ I sent an email to Rep Summers telling her I thought she was the prejudiced person here. I reminded her that, in my community, (Atlant) the people most impacted are Atlanta citiizens and they are predominantly black. I said thart we need to take care of oru citizens first--they deserve the chance and that she was doing fellow americans and black amerivcans a disservice.

I will now be tarred with "racist" prejudiced and xenophobe". Oh well--if you are wrong, simply call the other person a hater--it works so often.

Is she saying that all illegals are of a certain race or that all have color to their skin? NOT! Look at the illegal Irish, the illegal Ukranian, etc.

"I think you are opening the door for prejudice directed at minorities who are not white," state Rep. Vanessa Summers, D-Indianapolis, told Delph during one heated exchange.
    "Maybe it's the color of my skin. I look at it differently," said Summers, who is black.

This proves the point that Americans will take those jobs:

"More than 200 people applied for those 14 jobs," Walorski said. "When I saw that, it started to change my attitude on the work force. Those 200 people were grateful for the opportunity to apply for those jobs."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I think you are opening the door for prejudice directed at minorities who are not white," state Rep. Vanessa Summers, D-Indianapolis,
    Aww she's worried about what they'll do with all those soccer fields in Demo LaLa Land.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Immigration bill gets a vote
    By Dan McFeely

February 14, 2008

State Sen. Mike Delph's illegal immigration bill has been scheduled for a vote by House Public Policy Committee chairman Trent Van Haaften, D-Mount Vernon.

The bill - SB 335 - has been placed on the agenda for 10 a.m. Monday, according to a scheduled posted this morning.

The Public Policy Committee would have to pass the bill in order for it to advance.

The bill -- which punishes Indiana employers for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants -- will likely be amended to address a number of concerns raised on Wednesday at a public hearing, according to Delph, R-Carmel.

If approved, SB 335 will likely move to the House Ways and Means Committee. That committee would have to approve an anticipated amendment to appropriate $1.5 million for the Attorney General and Indiana State Police to carry out various enforcement measures contained in the bill.

www.indystar.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast