Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

What's a PING?? I think I remember seeing that word used when I went to the Free Republic site but I can't remember in reference to what!!

You are absolutely right, Coto. This reporter's not jerking any tears from me! It would NOT put contractors out of work. It would put AMERICANS TO WORK! I guess the wages are a FACTOR in the figuring of the cost of building a house but it IS determined by square footage. Of course, you would have to factor in wages as part of the total cost. It doesn't matter, though, because the idea that Americans wouldn't work for $15-20 an hour is LUDICROUS.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsie
    I guess the wages are a FACTOR in the figuring of the cost of building a house but it IS determined by square footage. Of course, you would have to factor in wages as part of the total cost. It doesn't matter, though, because the idea that Americans wouldn't work for $15-20 an hour is LUDICROUS.
    Hi Bootsie,

May I submit that....
    (1) The availability of cheaper labor to contractors has increased in recent years. so..,..
    (2) The esteemed lawmakers, contractors, and reporters would be hard pressed to cite any examples of contractors who lowered their prices due to newly acquired cheaper labor.
    (3) Oh yeah, as is so eloquently documented all over this website, crime goes way the hell up.
    Whew! Get my adrenalin going.

The opposite (of what your reporter implies) happened on the offshoring side of the house - prices for services went noticably up, quality went way down, and arrogance went up. I can sit here and cite examples all day. But I gotta go to work (unless I get replaced by a foreigner).

Laters,
    Coto

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

You had better GET TO IT!! Never can tell when you'll walk in and somebody will be sitting at your desk saying, "BUENOS DIOS"!!!!

You're right about the costs however. They NEVER go down to reflect the CHEAPER WAGES. OH NO!! Let's not PASS THE SAVINGS ON TO THE CONSUMER!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Good job, Bootsie and Had_Enuf! Tell em' like it is. And as far as "they come here with skills", yeah, right! Just like the guy who told my husband's ex-boss he was an experienced carpenter After this illegal messed up everything on several jobs, my husband was sent in to repair the damage this so-called experienced and well paid illegal carpenter had done at the homes he was sent to build. The boss had to pay twice as much to get the job done, once to the illegal whom he THOUGHT was saving him some money and then pay again to get my LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZEN husband to make it right. My husband says these illegals lie about their skills in order to get these jobs. I just had to laugh when when the boss had to fork out the extra money, good enough for him if he chooses to break our laws
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

Yeah--rebel. Sounds just like the situation in New Orleans after Katrina where two electrical contractors were interviewed on Lou's program SEVERAL TIMES. They had jobs doing construction, the contractor hired some illegals who SAID they were electricians. Turned out they didn't know their you-know-what from a hole in the ground. The electrical contractors ended up having to try to TEACH them PLUS learn enough Spanish to communicate with them and then the CONTRACTOR FIRED THE AMERICAN ELECTRICIANS. After Lou had them on, some investigating was done and it turned out that these JACKLEGS were botching everything they did! OF COURSE. Now, why would THAT surprise us??? Same old song. Different tune!

QUOTE:
    We did not have the local laborers five years ago to build homes at the volume we're doing now," said Grover Shugart Jr., the president of Shugart Enterprises LLC, a homebuilder based in Winston-Salem. "The Hispanic worker is making that possible because they are taking jobs others are choosing not to fill."

Oh, you guys please trust me on this. THIS attitude and explanation will be the beginning of the end of your state as you know it. THIS is EXACTLY how it started in Florida. EXACTLY.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OH YEAH, LEGAL! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! SAME old propaganda. And, people BUY IT!!! I see what's coming. Evidently the Winston-Salem Journal and the KENAN INSTITUTE doesn't. Well, maybe, when THEY get broadsided by it, they will WAKE UP! Or, like someone else suggested--when THEY lose THEIR jobs to Hispanic illegals, that might be the wake-up call. GRRRRR, as Judy says!

Ha! We were in NC in the 80's....the contractors were paying slave wages then...sub's were working for considerably less than they do in Texas...and a brick MASON was paid a paltry $10 per hour.

Those jobs should draw 16-20$ per. Illegal aliens have kept the wages low. No raises for nearly twenty years for the masonry subs.

No, those 'saving's aren't passed on to the purchaser...they go straight into the general contractors pocket.

Hmmm Wonder who paid for those glowing articles about illegals? General Contractors??

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

AHA! A GENERAL CONTRACTOR LOBBY!

"You'll see more become site managers, top managers and business owners in the construction industry," Hernandez said. "They'll get the same sense of satisfaction as other immigrant groups as they move on economically, and the back-end construction jobs will be filled by another immigrant group wanting the good life in America."
    That's the type of tunnel vision that will cause most of us to end up living in tin shacks on the side of hills. They never learn.

-----------------------

I was listening to some weekend radio talk show a few months ago and the topic was illegal immigration. There was a caller from North Carolina who said he was a sub-contractor in home building. He said he was originally from Florida, but was put out of business there by other sub-contractors who hired illegal aliens so he moved to NC. His complaint or comment was that the sub-contractors in Florida were bidding and accepting jobs based on U.S. wage scales and then hiring illegal aliens to do the work and pocketing the difference. He said the crooks were the sub-contractors.

-----------------------

As far as illegals reducing the price of house building, isn't that just another instance where the true cost is passed on to somebody else like the taxpayers? Also, doesn't the future price of housing and most everything else like land and groceries, etc. go up because once illegals come to build the house they also need housing and food and everything else and that increases demand whch increases cost especially for things that have a rather finite supply (which is most everything, eventually)? It seems to me that illegal and/or cheap immigrant labor is just another buy now pay later scheme, a hidden mortgage with exponential interest rates that will eventually have to be paid by the nation one way or another.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast