Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

INS raids, rumors causing major declines at dancehalls, nigh

http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/we ... causi.html

October 01, 2006
    INS raids, rumors causing major declines at dancehalls, nightclubs
    Polo Urias: INS raids and rumors of raids have hurt the concert business.

You're not likely to find this type of story in the mainstream news, but the latest wave of immigration reform has started to affect the music industry. Though the general immigration reform issue has been in the news since the early spring, some side effects are coming to light.

Polo Urias (center, forefront) sings in his new video single, "Por Que Volviste?" from his just released CD, "Sigue La Maquina Dando." (Courtesy photo.)
    Now certain sectors of the music industry, like the agricultural and hospitality sector, report the movement is beginning to have economic impact.
    Principally, artists and promoters are reporting that recent raids by the U.S. Border Patrol on dancehalls and nightclubs that usually play music or feature artists that cater to Mexican music fans have dramatically cut down attendance in recent months.

Alan Baxter, promoter of the Intocable/Ramon Ayala concert at the Freeman Coliseum in late August cited two main reasons for poor attendance — it was the Sunday before the first back-to-school day and also recent INS raids at other area dancehalls has spooked the fans.

In a recent interview, Mexican norteño singer Polo Urias, who just released his latest CD "Sigue La Maquina Dando," said he has seen a major drop-off in attendance at his shows in the Southwest. Urias is on a current tour that has him visiting San Antonio's Noche Caliente dancehall on Oct. 13.

"That's one reason we have concentrated lately on touring mostly in Mexico," Urias said in Spanish. "I don't think that is fair because they (INS) are targeting people when they least expect it."

How do you feel about this issue?

Should INS target the dancehalls where mostly illegal immigrants go, or should they apprehend illegal immigrants some other way? Leave us your comments.

If you're reading this from outside SA or Texas, please leave a comment on what city you're from.

And sign up for the FREE blog update alerts.
    Even better make this LNN Blog page your homepage.

Here are some recent wire stories on the general immigration issues and their impacts.

Worker shortage hurting farmers, profits
    Return to Sender (cracking down on felons)
    City takes up illegal aliens
    Group holds rally to protest illegal immigration
    States, counties cracking down on illegals
    McAdoo drafting own version of illegals law
    4 illegals ordered deported
    Judge sides with landlords, illegal immigrants
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

How do you feel about this issue?

Should INS target the dancehalls where mostly illegal immigrants go, or should they apprehend illegal immigrants some other way? Leave us your comments.
    Yes they should target this. I just read that illegals are starving and now I find they spent their money on CD's and dancehalls.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    "That's one reason we have concentrated lately on touring mostly in Mexico," Urias said in Spanish. "I don't think that is fair because they (INS) are targeting people when they least expect it."
    Hey, idiot, it wouldn't do INS much good to target the illegals when they DO expect it, would it? Sheesh!

Let's have an INS TEA

VMAMA
    this article is about the most comical I've read in a long time!! ROTFLMAO
    Thank YOU.........I'm hysterical over here.

These people are truly deficient in the grey matter area.
    You can't make this shit up!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hispanictips.com is always good for a laugh!
    Whoa is me
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson