Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ireland: Blow for 50,000 US Irish as bill defeated

Blow for 50,000 US Irish as bill defeated
    14 votes see off immigration bill

By Patricia McDonagh
    Friday June 29 2007

However, Irish immigrant lobby groups have said the fight will continue to allow them to live legally in the country they now regard as home.

The crucial closure vote, which decides whether or not the Senate would limit debate on the bill, was defeated by just 14 votes, with 46 voting in favour.

The bill needed a total of 60 votes or a three-fifths majority to clear the way for a further ballot.

If passed the legislation would have benefited up to 12 million illegal immigrants living in the US, including up to 50,000 Irish citizens.

Z-Visa

The bill promised to create a new Z-Visa, allowing those currently living in the US illegally to work upon payment of a €5,000 fine and background checks.

The visa would have allowed illegal immigrants to eventually apply for a Green Card. It would have also created a guest worker programme, allowing Irish people to spend a short time in the country before returning to Ireland.

The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR) said last night's decision is devastating for Ireland's undocumented Irish who cannot travel home for fear they will not be allowed reentry on their return to the US.

However they said that the battle would continue and that they would be pursuing other means of trying to legalise their community.

"Comprehensive reform is dead in this Senate," said ILIR president, Niall O'Dowd.

"So many people live here undocumented, here was a chance to legislate and it wasn't taken. People are very, very upset.

Opposition

"There was opposition from both sides. It was supposed to go down the centre. But it just didn't work.

"That's the way it is. What you do is you pick yourself up and you go to plan B, and that's what we are going to do."

According to O'Dowd, one option may be an E3 Visa scheme which has already by used to allow 10,000 Australian immigrants into the US.

The scheme allows immigrants to stay in a country one year at a time. It does not fall under the Green Card category.

"We are certainly going to talk about that as one of our options," said O'Dowd. "We are not pursuing the government per se, but that is definitely an option."

Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern TD last night expressed his disappointment at the result. However he joined O'Dowd in expressing his determination in securing a fair deal for the undocumented Irish. and their families.

"The Government is fully committed to responding to the concerns of the undocumented Irish and will continue to take every opportunity to convey to US political leaders the urgent need to address this major issue, which impacts directly on many families in Ireland," he said.

"This setback will not diminish our determination to secure the fair deal for the undocumented Irish and their families."

- Patricia McDonagh

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/no ... 90919.html

If the Irish are concerned about their citizens, give us the names so that they can be returned home.

Do we need a bunch of hard drinkers? I love the Irish, some of them are even my friends! Maybe they can go to Canada.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Beckyal
    If the Irish are concerned about their citizens, give us the names so that they can be returned home.
    Agreed. I am really beginning to become annoyed with the patterns of illegal aliens. Its as if they come here for the SOLE PURPOSE of STAYING whether its illegally or not. Our government really needs to declare a moratorium on ALL WORK VISAS, seal off the border and find out who really is in this country, nobody seems to know and its really scarey being in this position.

The Irish Lobby for Immigration Reform (ILIR) said last night's decision is devastating for Ireland's undocumented Irish who cannot travel home for fear they will not be allowed reentry on their return to the US.

However they said that the battle would continue and that they would be pursuing other means of trying to legalise their community.
    Legalize THEIR COMMUNITY? This ethnicity race-based COMMUNITY attitude needs to be eliminated as well. Why can't those of us who are LEGAL CITIZENS or those who become LEGAL CITIZENS JUST BE AMERICANS?
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Why should this group get any special attention? They need to go back to Ireland and fight for justice in their home country.

Ostrich

PS: Don't think for a second that advocates for Mexican or Central American illegals are going to try and help other ethnic groups. It won't happen.

The economy in Ireland is booming. The arrogance that anybody that steps foot on our shores can stay is outrageous.

I have Irish ancestory, but I think they should be deported along with
    anybody else who is here illegally.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I AM ALSO OF IRISH ANCESTRY. BUT I THINK ILLEGAL IRISH SHOULD BE DEPORTED. WHY DO THEY EVEN WANT TO LEAVE IRELAND? IRELAND IS NOT A POOR COUNTRY. I DONT GET THAT.

If you're in the U.S. illegally, then you need to go back where you came from. Fifty thousand Irish is a far cry from 20 million Mexicans and Central Americans; nonetheless, NOBODY has a right to live in our country illegally, period.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

I'm half Irish and half German and I believe ANY illegal alien should be deported.....including the Irish.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

I agree with pjr40. I'm proudly part Irish, but anyone who enters our country illegally -- including the Irish -- broke our laws. So they must go home, get at the back of the line, apply and enter our country the right way!!

And Ostrich is right about the Hispanic lobby groups not really helping other ethnic groups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast