Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Full length letter from Garcia responding to Arpaio

The following is the full length letter that Isabel Garcia wrote regarding Sheriff Joe Arpaio's letter to the County Administrator. It in no way reflects the opinions of KVOA.

"As you know, Derechos Humanos, along with 6-7 community groups, called for a protest of Joe Arpaio's appearance at his book signing at the Barnes and Noble. Because of Maricopa Sheriff's Arpaio's outrageous police actions in the communities of Phoenix, as well as as his political views surrounding the immigration issues in general, many of us in Tucson have made a promise that we will not allow him to come into our town without him hearing from those of us who stand in support of the thousands of workers and their families who have borne the burnt of his narrow-minded, ignorant policies. That he would come to Tucson to promote a book filled with lies, fear, and ignorant perspectives about immigrants, was especially appalling to us.

We stand for the principles of peace and justice. We live in a very precarious moment in history, where, again, human beings are being demonized and scapegoated, exploiting on the ugly and fearful in all of us. Derechos Humanos protested Arpaio, handing out flyers, briefly explaining why,and what he has done in Phoenix. You can have one of our leaflets if you would like, but among other things we denounce his antics that have created great racial divisions in Phoenix, at a more than $41,000,000 cost to the taxpayers, and a few other actions he has engaged in. The leaflet states that we "continue to work for a community that is diverse, respectful, and appreciative of each other's differences." Others brought signs and megaphones, with someone bringing a large pinata with Arpaio's face glued on the head. I am sure you are aware that these types of symbolic images are not only common, but generally are used in context of referring to the policies of individuals in power.

I am now the target of a corporate-media-sponsored campaign to get me fired from my job as the Pima County Legal Defender. The first thing that you should know is that this is not a community-based campaign by those that disagree with me, but a campaign that was instigated by Jon Justice (not his true name) who has a program in the new hate-radio in town, 104.1 FM. On Friday morning, he was on his program urging everyone to call Chuck Huckelberry to fire me because I dared exercise my 1st Amendment right to express my views. They cover it by saying that the breaking of a pinata is a violent act! ??? That is simply absurd. The pinata was a symbol of Arpaio's racist, violent and brutal policies. The youth did not hit Arpaio, they hit the pinata to break the policies that keep us fearful of each other, and that have caused so much pain to so many hardworking men, women and their children. He is the violent one. I have spoken directly to some of his victims/survivors of his power, and have cried just listening to their accounts. US citizen and undocumented children alike have suffered the separation from their mothers, fathers, and siblings. People have lost their homes, families separated, their whole lives being violently disrupted by this horrible person, Arpaio. As a public official he should be aware of the facts: immigrants have contributed and continue to contribute to our society, they are human beings entitled to respect for their human rights, including the right to work and survive, and the right to be free from his unconstitutional interpretation of the laws.

I am proud to have been part of the community's response to his arrival in Tucson. We stand committed to stop hatred and xenophobia, and to work for a society that respects human rights for everyone regardless of their age, color, race, ethnic background, gender, gender-preference, religion. As an attorney I find it is not only my right, but my responsiblity to stand up when the power of the state is used to crush people. I will continue to do so."
    http://www.kvoa.com/global/Story.asp?s=8699510

Same old rhetoric over and over again...
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

Quote Originally Posted by mapwife
    Full length letter from Garcia responding to Arpaio

The following is the full length letter that Isabel Garcia wrote regarding Sheriff Joe Arpaio's letter to the County Administrator. It in no way reflects the opinions of KVOA.

"As you know, Derechos Humanos, along with 6-7 community groups, called for a protest of Joe Arpaio's appearance at his book signing at the Barnes and Noble. Because of Maricopa Sheriff's Arpaio's outrageous police actions in the communities of Phoenix, as well as as his political views surrounding the immigration issues in general, many of us in Tucson have made a promise that we will not allow him to come into our town without him hearing from those of us who stand in support of the thousands of workers and their families who have borne the burnt of his narrow-minded, ignorant policies. That he would come to Tucson to promote a book filled with lies, fear, and ignorant perspectives about immigrants, was especially appalling to us.

We stand for the principles of peace and justice. We live in a very precarious moment in history, where, again, human beings are being demonized and scapegoated, exploiting on the ugly and fearful in all of us. Derechos Humanos protested Arpaio, handing out flyers, briefly explaining why,and what he has done in Phoenix. You can have one of our leaflets if you would like, but among other things we denounce his antics that have created great racial divisions in Phoenix, at a more than $41,000,000 cost to the taxpayers, and a few other actions he has engaged in. The leaflet states that we "continue to work for a community that is diverse, respectful, and appreciative of each other's differences." Others brought signs and megaphones, with someone bringing a large pinata with Arpaio's face glued on the head. I am sure you are aware that these types of symbolic images are not only common, but generally are used in context of referring to the policies of individuals in power.

I am now the target of a corporate-media-sponsored campaign to get me fired from my job as the Pima County Legal Defender. The first thing that you should know is that this is not a community-based campaign by those that disagree with me, but a campaign that was instigated by Jon Justice (not his true name) who has a program in the new hate-radio in town, 104.1 FM. On Friday morning, he was on his program urging everyone to call Chuck Huckelberry to fire me because I dared exercise my 1st Amendment right to express my views. They cover it by saying that the breaking of a pinata is a violent act! ??? That is simply absurd. The pinata was a symbol of Arpaio's racist, violent and brutal policies. The youth did not hit Arpaio, they hit the pinata to break the policies that keep us fearful of each other, and that have caused so much pain to so many hardworking men, women and their children. He is the violent one. I have spoken directly to some of his victims/survivors of his power, and have cried just listening to their accounts. US citizen and undocumented children alike have suffered the separation from their mothers, fathers, and siblings. People have lost their homes, families separated, their whole lives being violently disrupted by this horrible person, Arpaio. As a public official he should be aware of the facts: immigrants have contributed and continue to contribute to our society, they are human beings entitled to respect for their human rights, including the right to work and survive, and the right to be free from his unconstitutional interpretation of the laws.

I am proud to have been part of the community's response to his arrival in Tucson. We stand committed to stop hatred and xenophobia, and to work for a society that respects human rights for everyone regardless of their age, color, race, ethnic background, gender, gender-preference, religion. As an attorney I find it is not only my right, but my responsiblity to stand up when the power of the state is used to crush people. I will continue to do so."
    http://www.kvoa.com/global/Story.asp?s=8699510

Same old rhetoric over and over again...
    This letter from her states the act of breaking the pinata. This is her own admission to being there. There is proof in her own words. I think Joe will keep that on file for the Arizona State bar. Actually, we should too. It shows that they try to accuse us of violent talk for wanting our laws obeyed yet they show violent type actions.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

OH my eyes hurt (from rolling) after reading that letter. I am dizzy from her spinning and damage control.

She admitted the breaking of the pinata. I wished she'd put something in there about inciting youth. Oh, wait we have video of that... I can't get that wacking sound out of my brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6VCHrUlxpU
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Let's not forget about this woman either. Any updates anyone on her?

Yeah, who is this woman, American - first generation - what would she do if someone did her that way - Being more tolerant American Citizens is not as easy as it was when the government had us all dumb bunnies in the dark.

Found this today posted on her own website (yesterday).

Defend Isabel Garcia!
    Wednesday, 23 July 2008
    Learn more about the efforts to defend Pima County Legal Defender Isabel Garcia, and how you can get involved!

Sign the letter of support!
    Write to Pima County Administrator Huckleberry
    Write to the Pima County Board of Supervisors
    Call to Action!

Defend Isabel Garcia!

Defend our First Amendment Rights!

Demand Accountability from those who would support Hate media!

As many of you are aware, a recent protest against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has had some ugly backlash. As a community, we set out to let Arpaio know that there were many who did not welcome him into our community. As part of this protest, and in a symbolic expression our disagreement with Sheriff Arpaio, his policies, and his promoting of his xenophobic and narrow-minded perspective in his recent book, an empty piñata with the likeness of Sheriff Arpaio was hit by local youth.

As a result, the hate radio talk show host, Jon Justice (104.1 The Truth) has launched a campaign to have one of our Co-chairs, Isabel Garcia, fired from her position as a Pima County Legal Defender.

Since the incident, our office has received numerous hate calls, and Jon Justice posted a few offensive videos of himself with a piñata with Isabel's likeness, caressing it and making comments about "wanting to take it home with me," among a few other comments about "chorizo" and "viva la raza." Mr. Justice has since removed the video, as well as the one that followed it, which we found to be even more offensive. Transcripts of the first video is below, as well as a short transcript written by someone who saw the video before it was removed.

We ask you, as a community ally, to step up with us in defending Isabel Garcia, demand accountability from 104.1FM, and join us in a campaign to rid Tucson of hate radio. Below are some actions items you can take to join us in solidarity with Isabel, as well as some information that we think might be helpful to learning more about this situation.

It is our First Amendment Right, and our duty as members of this society, to denounce anything that goes against the basic human and civil rights that ALL possess. To try to silence those that would condemn torture and racism is contrary to the rights of us all!

Sign on to the letter of support for Isabel!

Click to view the solidarity letter that we have created in support of Isabel, and which we ask you to sign on to. If you would like your name added to the list of sponsors, please e-mail sol@derechoshumanosaz.net.This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Letter of Support for Isabel Garcia

Please help us to spread the word, and take up the following action items:

1. Contact Pima County Administrator Chuck Huckleberry in support of Isabel Garcia. 520.740.8661 or e-mail: chh@pima.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    2. Contact the Journal Broadcast Group, expressing your opinion of Jon Justice and the tactics of 104.1FM, and your concern that local KGUN 9 would be associated with an outlet that is so obviously NOT an objective media source. Contact Julie Brinks: 520.290.7600 or e-mail: jbrinks@journalbroadcastinggroup.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    3. Contact the Board of Supervisors, voicing your support of Isabel Garcia, who has broken no rule or regulation as a Pima County employee.

Pima County Board of Supervisors
    30 West Congress Street, 11th Floor
    Tucson, Arizona 85701

Receptionist - (520) 740-8126
    Fax - (520) 884-1152

Ann Day, District 1
    Ann.Day@pima.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    (520) 740-2738

Ramón Valadez, District 2
    district2@pima.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    (520) 740-8126

Sharon Bronson, District 3
    district3@pima.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    (520) 740-8051

Ray Carroll, District 4
    district4@pima.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    (520) 740-8094

Richard ElÃ*as, Chairman, District 5
    district5@pima.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
    (520) 740-8126

We need your support!
    Please spread the word on this Call to Action! Defend our First Amendment rights!

Additional Information

Isabel Garcia's statement on the Arpaio Protest

Links:

Webisode #4 (Justice with a piñata of Isabel Garcia)
    Transcript of Webisode #4 (Justice with a piñata of Isabel Garcia)

Webisode #5
    Transcript of Webisode #5

Articles:

There Is Blood On Sheriff Joe Arpaio's Hands, And It's Costing Us Millions

Tucson radio wing nut "Jon Justice" gets panties in twist over Joe Arpaio pinata.

The Bird shelters Pima County Legal Defender Isabel Garcia from the flak she's received for hoisting an Arpaio piñata head

Piñata Pr0n Extraordinaire Jon Justice

Right Wing Ideology With an Emphasis on “Idiot.â€
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

thanks

I'll spend some time today emailing these people. So we can take it she's worried??

If you haven't emailed and/or called about Isabel please do. Just watch the video where she incites youths to whack Sheriff Joe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6VCHrUlxpU

what is a spam bot?

Good idea Fedup. Yes, that was my first opinion too. She's worried and for good reason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123