Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Issue of Dual Citizenship in the US

Nancy Salvato, Senior Editor

The Issue of Dual Citizenship in the US
    July 11, 2008

"[In a republic, according to Montesquieu in Spirit of the Laws, IV,ch.5,] 'virtue may be defined as the love of the laws and of our country. As such love requires a constant preference of public to private interest, it is the source of all private virtue; for they are nothing more than this very preference itself... Now a government is like everything else: to preserve it we must love it... Everything, therefore, depends on establishing this love in a republic; and to inspire it ought to be the principal business of education; but the surest way of instilling it into children is for parents to set them an example.'" --Thomas Jefferson: copied into his Commonplace Book

There is an issue, rarely discussed in the news, which has critical implications for our national security and political sovereignty. The United States is one of the most permissive countries in the world with regard to dual citizenship. Our government recognizes dual citizenship and tolerates multiple citizenships. How did it come to this?

According to the U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 8, it is the job of the legislative branch to establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization.

Most people are familiar with, in one form or another, the oath of citizenship which must be taken by all immigrants who wish to become United States citizens. Following a pattern set in 1795, our naturalization law, spells out the oath to which a new citizen must swear.

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

So how can an immigrant take such a citizenship oath and still maintain citizenship in a foreign country?

Back in the days of King George, when the United States first declared independence, English common law dictated that only the sovereign could release a citizen from allegiance to a country. As a result, England “impressedâ€
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I completely agree. We should get rid of dual citizenship. Pick a country, swear allegiance to it, and move on.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

The main function of the job of the Office of Mexicans Abroad is getting Mexican immigrants to the Unted States to voluntarily foot the bill for civic improvements for the towns they left back in Mexico. The towns get very few tax dollar most goes toward the federal or state government. The municipalities barely get by. As head of OMA Juan Hernandez job was getting the immigrants here to support their hometowns. The problem is since he left the job he has been all about getting
    American foundation grants for amnesty.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great article! I've been questioning this for a long time as most people here have!

King James Bible
    No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
    My 4 year old has duel citizenship simply by Irish law that states that the child of an Irish citizen is also a citizen, and of course our law about being born here. We will strongly encourage him to choose only one when he is 18 and formally release the citizenship of the other country.

It is a huge dilemma, especially in a time of war. No matter how unlikely it may seem that we would ever be at war with Ireland, you never know the future. One country MUST be given your undivided loyalty!!!!!! I am against duel citizenship in adults. I do believe however, that in cases like my sons, they should be given until their 19th birthday to decide to which country they belong and that decision should be irrevocable and final.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't see how you can really be dedicated to 2 masters. For the life of me, I don't understand marraige with more than one spouse (even though I have been divorced)....nor do I get dual citizenship. It devalues the meaning of commitment when there's too many options out. You can have anything you want....but not everything. So it diminishes what it means to be a citizen. I can tell you right now......as it stands today.....I would not be willing to die for this country anymore......especially while they're selling me out to the cheapest bidder in every avenue that was good and right about being American.

My parents raised me with the old values.....I have been the most dedicated employee....wage cuts, working for free, standing behind them when times were down and out......then to be laughed at for being a fool. It's a fine line to know the difference.

What I fight for today isn't America or this government.....it's the people I know who have the same morals and standards as me and believe in something greater.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: The Issue of Dual Citizenship in the US

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United State
    The problem with this statement is that you can tell the US Government all day long that you renounce your allegiance and fidelity to your former country but that in itself doesn't resolve your citizenship in that country. In order to dissolve your citizenship in your former country you will have to go to their embassy and formally renounce your citizenship and then turn in all foreign identification and passports. Otherwise you simply make this statement and continue using your foreign passport when you travel and your US passport when you return. My wife felt so strongly about the oath she took whne she was granted US citizenship that she went to the Argentine embassy and formally renounced her citizenship. Most don't do this.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

I became a US citizen in 1973 and dual citizenship was forbidden. Who was the moron who changed this?!?!?!

A question that applies to the 14th amendment, if one has dual citizenship then WHICH COUNTRY has jurisdiction over that dual citizen?

US citizens must NOT be allowed to hold political offices in the US and a foreign country, especially not at the same time. What foolishness is this?
    "

Re: The Issue of Dual Citizenship in the US

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex
    I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United State
    The problem with this statement is that you can tell the US Government all day long that you renounce your allegiance and fidelity to your former country but that in itself doesn't resolve your citizenship in that country. In order to dissolve your citizenship in your former country you will have to go to their embassy and formally renounce your citizenship and then turn in all foreign identification and passports. Otherwise you simply make this statement and continue using your foreign passport when you travel and your US passport when you return. My wife felt so strongly about the oath she took whne she was granted US citizenship that she went to the Argentine embassy and formally renounced her citizenship. Most don't do this.
    Oh goodness, bigtex, I didn't do that!! I didn't know that's what you had to do. I just simply never renewed my passport and never voted in that country again. Oh, well, my former country prolly won't know the diff. hehhe.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.