http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51680

Friday, August 25, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's about drugs, idiota

Posted: August 25, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Joseph Farah

© 2006
Sit down.

I want to share some information with you that might otherwise knock you down.

Many of you are still trying to figure out why President Bush and other members of elite U.S. circles refuse to secure our southern border with Mexico.

I think it is safe to say that I have been out front in posing the hypothesis that this open-borders strategy is part of a long-term plot toward economic and political union between the two countries as well as Canada. This secret master plan has since been recognized by other border security advocates, such as Rep. Tom Tancredo and CNN's Lou Dobbs.

Today I want to explore what I believe is another important component of the conspiracy, and I use that term advisedly, to keep the border open – no matter what.

Let me cut right to the chase: It's about drugs, stupid.

Since 1984, the ruling governments of Mexico have been operating under a pact signed during the reign of President Miguel de la Madrid and the drug lords. The deal required the cartels to keep their billions of narco-dollars in Mexico's nationalized banks in exchange for quiet cooperation from the government. In other words, the drug lords could expect to carry out their business unmolested.

Why was such a deal necessary for the Mexican government? Because its economy was sinking – and because drugs are the biggest of all businesses in the country.

Let me underline that last statement for you. It is very important. Mexico's biggest cash export – its biggest business – is drugs sold to the U.S.

Several years ago, even the president of Mexico acknowledged this rather shocking fact. Then-President Carlos Salinas de Gortari said the annual flow of cocaine and other drugs through Mexico totaled $100 billion. Keep in mind, this was more than 10 years ago.

Now let's put that $100 billion in perspective. The profits alone from this business amounted to between $25 billion and $30 billion, according to Drug Enforcement Agency sources. That would mean that the profits from drugs moving through Mexico into the U.S. every year are more than twice the total revenues of Mexico's oil industry.

Some estimates suggest the drug business has more than doubled in size since then. Why?

You can thank NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, and the open-borders policies of the Clinton and Bush administrations.

"NAFTA is now openly referred to as the 'North American Drug Agreement' by U.S. Customs and Drug Enforcement Agency personnel," said former Customs chief William von Raab several years ago. "This overt skepticism reflects discontent over the fact that national security concerns have been neglected in the NAFTA negotiations. … Nothing we [see leads] us to believe that Mexico has tackled 'hard enforcement, i.e. arresting significant drug figures, cracking down on money laundering or disrupting drug enterprises. Without a real hard enforcement anti-drug effort by the Mexicans, NAFTA will hurt [the U.S.]"

Was he right?

The record speaks for itself. The drug lords have taken over de facto control of Mexico's northern states. And they are rapidly moving over the other side of the border – as Rep. Tom Tancredo and some brave law-enforcement officials have tried to point out.

Graft is a way of life in Mexico. Elections are bought and sold. Typically, the PRI Party, defeated at the polls for only the second time in national elections earlier this summer, spends the equivalent of $800 million in such campaigns. That's just one party. By comparison, a little over $100 million total is spent in the average U.S. presidential election.

As Christopher Whalen, an expert on Mexico's politics and economy, explains: Don't think for a minute that the drug lords limit their political investments to Mexico.

"From San Diego to Washington, huge investments can be found in American banks, companies and real estate that are secretly tied to Mexico's drug groups. One need only take the trouble to look for the telltale flow of dirty money."

Are you starting to get the picture?

Are you beginning to understand why there is such fierce and uncompromising resistance to securing the border?

Do you understand why America's elite are so determined to continue moving toward a borderless superstate?