Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

It's Possible No One Will Win The GOP Nomination During The

It's Possible No One Will Win The GOP Nomination During The Primaries
    By Joe Rothstein
    Editor, USPolitics.einnews.com
    January 9, 2008

If someone asked me to bet today that the Republican presidential nomination won't be decided until the Minneapolis convention, I'd likely take that bet. But I'd want good odds. Not since Eisenhower beat Taft for the GOP nomination 56 years ago has the Republican convention roll call meant much. Betting on a nominating convention that actually nominates is still a long shot.

Nevertheless, here's why I think we may be in for a Survivor-like drama September 1-4 in Minneapolis: there's enough opposition to everyone currently in the GOP race to keep anyone from emerging as the candidate through the primaries.

Polls tell us that one of the major issues for Republicans is immigration. If that's the case, there's a large swath of Republican voters who won't be lining up behind John McCain. McCain, of course, worked to enact a bill that would provide a legal residency path for illegal immigrants. As if that weren't bad enough, his cosponsor was (gasp) Ted Kennedy.

Anti-immigration voters won't be for McCain. Neither will all those who believe the McCain-Feingold bill was a direct assault on peoples' first amendment free speech rights. And those are very passionate people.

Finally, in Washington McCain is considered a maverick who's unpredictability makes a lot of powerful financial interests very nervous.

Huckabee?

To put it bluntly, the Republican establishment just doesn't want this guy. There's a long line-up of antis here, maybe longer than the one for McCain. For many Republicans he's just as suspect on immigration and taxes. That's compounded by his expressed populism, which sounds to monied interests like an assault on their redoubts.

Many believe that as the Republican nominee Huckabee would be shredded by Democrats because of his total lack of foreign policy experience and his in-your-face religious fundamentalism.

In that case, how about Romney?

Check the latest national Gallup poll and you will find Romney at 9%, running behind McCain, Huckabee, Giuliani and even Thompson.

Despite the millions of dollars he's poured into Iowa and New Hampshire, Romney is proving himself a tough sell with voters. There's a natural anti-Romney constituency that writes him off because he's a Mormon. But the opposition goes deeper than that. After his many campaign twists and turns, Romney is hardly recognizable any more as the moderate-seeming governor of Massachusetts of a year ago. In a year when "authenticity" is a big factor, Romney has spent a lot creating an image that he isn't.

Giuliani?

A year ago most political observers discounted Giuliani because of his pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control positions. Then he had a year-long run at the top of the polls and that gave him a near air of inevitability. Then he bombed in Iowa and New Hampshire. Now we're back to where we started. A pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control candidate isn't going to be the Republican Party's nominee.

Thompson?

Thompson could well be the common denominator that ultimately binds the party. He's conservative enough for the conservatives. He's safe enough for the establishment. He would likely insure continued southern state electoral hegemony. But here's the problem: Thompson is getting lost in a crowded field.

If Fred Thompson wins in South Carolina and runs well in Florida, look for a fire to ignite under his campaign. But those are big "ifs" for someone who has yet to show many sparks as a candidate.

Despite all of the negatives, these five candidates each appears to have the resources to keep moving down the campaign trail, gathering up delegates in their wake. But getting to 51% in a five-way race, a four-way race, or even a three-way race is no small feat. And with such entrenched opposition to each of these candidates, it's hard to see any of them getting there through the primaries.

Before this year is over, it may yet be the Republicans who put on the best show.

Joe Rothstein, editor of US Politics Today, is a former daily newspaper editor and long-time national political strategist based in Washington, D.C.

http://uspolitics.einnews.com/article.php?nid=397837

The longer this goes on the better. Illegal Immigration will be brought up time and time again. What Romney needs now is figures. He has his white board of what he wishes to do durning his presidency. Now I want to hear the figures of what the toll of immigration really is. Mitt can do this during a debate. Maybe I will write his headquarters.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Maybe McCain will really look like he has egg on his face. McCain stutters when Romney states a fact.
    Pay a fine and you are legal.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

I would like to see everyone of them go until the convention - although the convention is where the real 'dealing' goes on - but at least illegal immigration would be talked about all that time.

Also, as time goes on and if there is no clear winner, even some of the lukewarm will at least have to begin to talk about illegal immigration - whether they truly believe or not.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    BTTT

The longer it takes...the better. Hillary has just taken the most agressive stand on illegal immigration I've ever seen! I think she just committed political suicide. Obama can't top her. McCain is equally doomed.

Yep...it's looking good for us...really great!