http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4068469

Job raid leaves workers in limbo
Undocumented: The tedious court process has begun, and their future is uncertain

By Jennifer W. Sanchez
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune

When Santo Cuellar was arrested at work for being an undocumented immigrant about three months ago, he thought he was on his way back home to El Salvador.

But, he was wrong. He didn't realize his U.S. Immigration Court case would take so long.

On Tuesday, Cuellar started hnis process through the U.S. Immigration Court in Salt Lake City.

He is one of 13 undocumented workers who were picked up at the IFCO Systems North America Inc. facility as a result of an Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigation that made national headlines in late April. Federal agents arrested seven IFCO current and former managers and more than 1,100 people on immigration charges at more than 40 IFCO sites nationwide.

Of the 13 undocumented workers, about eight were scheduled to appear Tuesday in front of Judge William Nixon. Utah's first immigration court, which opened about a year ago, sits in an office-like strip mall at 5500 W. Amelia Earhart Drive on the city's outskirts.

Most of the cases were less than 15 minutes. Most of the court's paperwork, such as a "Notice to Appear" and change-of address form, is in English, but a translator was available for Spanish speakers. None of the men had a lawyer, so the judge gave them another court date in October to return with legal representation.

When Nixon asked Elmer Rosales what he wanted to do about the charges against him for being in the United States illegally, the undocumented worker from Guatemala said, "All I want to do is work."

Cuellar's case in short so far: He was arrested April 19 and let go two days later. He returned to court 13 weeks later on Tuesday. Now, he waits for his next court date: Oct. 10.

Since he was released by federal agents, Cuellar said he has moved from Tooele to a Salt Lake City apartment with three men. He started working in construction for $10 an hour, six days a week.

Cuellar, who crossed the Rio Grande on the Texas-Mexico border in December 2005, said he's getting an attorney because he wants to get "permission to work" here. He said his wife and three children - ages 12, 10 and 5 - depend on the money he sends them each month.

"I have a family to take care of," he said. "In my country, there isn't work that will pay me enough to help my family live."

For now, he just plans to continue working until his next court day in 12 weeks.

jsanchez@sltrib.com