Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Jobseekers Say ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS HURT THEIR CHANCES

www.kcci.com/news/11032490/detail.html -

Jobseekers Say Illegal Immigrants Hurt Their Chances
    Advocates Say Hispanics Want To Do Right Thing

POSTED: 9:00 am CST February 16, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:09 am CST February 16, 2007

DES MOINES, Iowa -- It's estimated there are millions of illegal immigrants living and working in the U.S.

Opponents against illegal immigration argue that it destroys the economy by reducing wages and taking jobs.

Joe Bishop, who has been contractor for 26 years, said illegal immigrants are taking all the jobs and leaving people like him out of work.

On Dec. 12, federal agents raided the Swift & Co. meatpacking plant in Marshalltown as part of an illegal immigration crackdown that spanned six states. It also sparked debate in central Iowa from both sides of the issue.

Rosa Morales De Gonzalez is the head of Perry L.I.N.K., an organization that connects residents of Perry with Hispanic immigrants.

She said getting a job -- no matter what that job may be -- is the reason immigrants come to Iowa.

"If they are going to have a better future and a better life, it's worth it," she said.

Many who come to central Iowa from other countries obtain jobs the legal way, but many do not.

"The reason I know that is I've green-carded them myself and they say, 'No, I don't understand English. No, we don't have a green card,'" De Gonzalez said.

Bishop said he's stuck at home because he can't find work.

"Every time I try to get a job, there's no jobs to be had because they're all taken by the illegal Mexicans," he said.

He said there is not enough money in the jobs to split the profits four ways. Bishop said he blames big business for the change in the job market.

"The big corporations are hiring these guys to work for cheaper. They're getting richer off of it. They're not giving these home buyers a break," he said.

U.S. Rep. Steve King is an outspoken critic of illegal immigration. He said it is bad for Iowa workers.

"A large supply of cheap, illegal labor -- it drives wages down, and we saw that happen at the Marshalltown Plant after ICE when in and did their raid. In December, wages went up a $1.95 an hour," King told NewsChannel 8 from Washington, D.C.

A representative from Swift said the pay raise went into effect before the December raid.

King has gone as far as propose that a fence be built along the entire U.S.-Mexico border.

Although it did not win much support, he said he is hoping new legislation will.

He said his new bill would give the Internal Revenue Service the authority to penalize employers who hire illegal immigrants.

"This civilization is rooted in the rule of law and illegal immigration defies that and therefore amnesty rewards people who are undermining the rule of law," King said.

The Rev. Kevin Cameron of Our Lady Of The Americas Parish said he sides with illegal workers.

"The Hispanics I know want to do the legal thing but because the immigration system is in such need of reform, it makes it very difficult for the Hispanics to do the right thing," he said.

Even Bishop said he understands the illegal workers are simply trying to make a living, but he said it has cost him his livelihood.

"I'm in debt way over my head and I'm personally ready to lose everything I got. (Getting a job) wasn't nothing 10 years ago, five years ago. Go out there and hustle up, get a job and pay your bills. I can't go out and do that today," he said.

Bishop said he's contacted both of Iowa's U.S. senators and other politicians, but he said nothing is getting done to fix the problem.
    Copyright 2007 by KCCI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    The Rev. Kevin Cameron of Our Lady Of The Americas Parish said he sides with illegal workers.

"The Hispanics I know want to do the legal thing but because the immigration system is in such need of reform, it makes it very difficult for the Hispanics to do the right thing," he said.
    No they do not want to do the LEGAL thing. If they did, they would go home and wait in line. They would not come here illegally, gain employment illegally using false documentation and possibly stolen SS numbers, use taxpayer-funded services while paying little if any tax, bilk the medical system, taking free medical care while many Americans have no health insurance. Reverend, do not make excuses for such illegal and immoral behavior.

It never ceases to amaze me how Catholic priests can have zero compassion for the citizens who are hurt by illegal immigration.

I agree illegals make it harder for Americans. I know people who are legal contractors who don't hire illegals and they have a hard time getting a jobs due to the fact of being unable to compete with those who do hire illegals.
    As for the Catholic church they aren't the only church behind this. Yesterday the Episcopal church was protesting along with illegals at the Burger King headquarters for higher wages for illegals.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am sorry, the compassoin I have are for the Legal Americans who are homeless! Those who are on the streets because we no longer have any money for the chronic mentally ill Americans, whose families have turned them out, for our Vets, many of them from Vietnam, who are sick and need our help so badly, for the families who have found theirselves out of a job and out on our streets because America has outsourced their jobs to China, India, and Mexico. Go home criminal illegals, so your countrymen will have compassion for you, and maybe some of our homeless might have the jobs you have come here and taken from them!
    Build the dam fence post haste!