Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Judge requests help from Certoff with illegal immigration

Judge seeking aid to control illegal aliens
    BY ERIN L. NISSLEY
    STAFF WRITER
    07/09/2006Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
    Homeland Security asked to provide additional help

A state Superior Court judge based in Hazleton has written to Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff seeking more manpower in the fight against illegal immigration.

A state Superior Court judge based in Hazleton has written to Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff seeking more manpower in the fight against illegal immigration.

Advertisement

Judge Correale F. Stevens, elected in 1997, has been hearing from county judges and local elected officials about the growing problem of illegal immigrants settling in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

“County judges have been told to release illegals suspected of crimes back into the community and that (immigration enforcement) officers will not come to Northeastern Pennsylvania for those suspects,” he said in his letter.

Department of Homeland Security officials in Washington referred all questions about the letter and immigration to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office.

‘Stretched to their limits’

The nearest U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office is in Philadelphia, which Judge Stevens said was too far away to help with cases here.

“The legal system is not being used to enforce immigration laws,” he said. “If someone who committed a crime locally is found to be here illegally, they’re released.”

The request follows a controversy stirred up by Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta, who made several proposals that “make things tougher on illegal immigrants in our community.” Among his ideas: making English the “official language” of Hazleton, punishing landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and revoking business permits of for-profit entities that hire illegal immigrants.

Although he hadn’t seen Judge Stevens’ letter, Mr. Barletta supports the request.

“I’ve made that request myself,” he said. “Obviously, the staff in place is stretched to their limits.”

Judge Stevens sent the letter to elected officials, including Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski, D-Nanticoke. No one from his office could comment Friday.

‘Crack down on the laws’

There are no reliable estimates available regarding the number of illegal immigrants living in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Census records for 2000 say that about 2.6 percent of Scranton’s population was Hispanic, and Hazleton’s population was almost 5 percent Hispanic, numbers experts say have grown in the six years.

The reason behind Mr. Barletta’s proposal is his belief that illegal immigrants are “draining the city’s resources” because they use services and don’t pay taxes.

“Every single dollar we receive should be used on taxpayers,” he said. “They’re a burden in our hospitals and our schools. They’re a burden on our police and ambulance services.”

Mr. Barletta’s reasoning is rejected by some, including Bob Whitman, vice president of La Voz Latina Mensual, a Spanish-English newspaper distributed in the region.

“I called the chief of Hazleton police. I’d like to know the percentages of people arrested — Hispanic, black, white,” he said. “Of course, the chief hasn’t responded to my requests. But I don’t think Hispanic people are committing crimes at a higher rate than any other group.”

Contact the writer: enissley@timesshamrock.com
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

“I called the chief of Hazleton police. I’d like to know the percentages of people arrested — Hispanic, black, white,” he said. “Of course, the chief hasn’t responded to my requests. But I don’t think Hispanic people are committing crimes at a higher rate than any other group.”
    No one is talking about Hispanics. We are talking about illegal aliens. But if you want to talk about illegals statistics prove illegals are committing crimes at a higher rate than any other population.

Another decent judge. Will wonders never cease.

Bless that judge's pointed little heart!

That's fishing for a lawsuit about racial profiling. If a high number if Hispanic are arrested, then he will scream racial profiling and tie the PD up in court, instead of admit that there are a high number of Hispanics committing crimes. We know why the PD isn't responding. They are not keeping a tally on the race of the people they are arresting. I seem to recall something like that happening in California.

Besides La Raza's platform goes on and on about being treated unfairly by law enforcement and disproportionate number of Hispanics being arrested and jailed...and they are always fighting legislation designed to get tought on gangs and crime.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hopefully the judge will get help faster from Chertoff than those poor Katrina victims did !