Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Judge tosses challenge to S.F. plan to issue illegal immigra

Judge tosses challenge to S.F. plan to issue illegal immigrants ID cards

John Coté, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

(10-14) 13:41 PDT San Francisco - --

A San Francisco Superior Court judge today ruled that the city's plan to issue municipal identification cards to residents regardless of immigration status does not violate state and federal law.

Judge Peter Busch tossed out a lawsuit filed by the Immigration Reform Law Institute of Washington D.C. on behalf of four San Francisco residents who argued the program would amount to aiding and abetting illegal immigration.

The ruling was a victory for city officials looking to implement the ID card program, which the Board of Supervisors approved in November but Mayor Gavin Newsom put on hold in August to make sure it complies with state and federal laws. Newsom's move came after a series of Chronicle articles explaining how the city regularly shielded young illegal immigrants from deportation after they were found guilty of felony crimes. That practice has since been stopped.

The mayor also wants to address administrative questions, such has how to prevent the cards from being counterfeited or fraudulently obtained.

"The program is a go. The last challenges are administrative and technical as opposed to political," said Supervisor Tom Ammiano, who sponsored the ID card legislation and is running for state Assembly. "I'm looking forward to expediting the implementation. ... I'd love it to happen before I leave the board on Dec. 1."

Mayoral spokesman Nathan Ballard welcomed Busch's ruling but said it would have little impact on the review being conducted by City Administrator Ed Lee.

"We want to make sure to move forward with a bulletproof program," Ballard said. "This ruling is separate. This is about one lawsuit. The mayor believes the program is legal; however, he wants to make sure that it's implemented safely."

Ballard would give no timetable for completing the program review, saying it would take "as long as it takes."

The program would make San Francisco the largest city in the country to issue municipal identification. New Haven, Conn., began issuing cards last year.

Opponents of the program are considering appealing Busch's ruling.

"This is simply a step in a long process," said Patrick Skain, a former San Francisco firefighter who brought the lawsuit along with others. "We'll review what took place today and look at the nuances of the arguments and make a determination from there."

Skain and others argued that the ID program amounted to aiding and abetting illegal immigration and would lead to information being withheld from federal authorities probing such crimes.

Busch, though, said the ID program was "neutral with respect to immigration status." It didn't certify that anyone was in the country legally, but it provided a mechanism for city residents to access services like library cards and discounted fares at city-owned golf courses, the judge said.

"This doesn't deal with immigration," Busch said. "Clearly it does not require anyone to withhold information because they do not collect the information."

Busch also said there wasn't evidence to back up the Immigration Reform Law Institute's argument that the program violates California's environmental protection laws because the institute predicts it will be a large influx of illegal immigrants.

Sharma Hammond, the institute's Washington D.C.-based attorney, faced repeated questioning from Busch during today's hearing, and tried unsuccessfully to get permission to amend the lawsuit, saying "maybe there are further facts."

" 'Maybe there are further facts' doesn't get there," Busch said.

E-mail John Coté at jcote@sfchronicle.com.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Some one please explain to me what these pro illegal amnesty and open border people are getting out of helping our country be over ran by illegals.I just dont understand it.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Justonehero
    Some one please explain to me what these pro illegal amnesty and open border people are getting out of helping our country be over ran by illegals.I just dont understand it.
    Me either
    Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.

I think the judge was just trying to point out the inadequacy and the major loopholes of laws about aiding and abetting on the books. At least I hope that was what he was trying to do.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cheap labor, overcrowding the school for money for teachers and system (book sales, food, etc.), elected official of two parties don't have to be on the side of the citizens because we will still have to vote for one of two evils. State get sales taxes they do not care where the money is coming from.

Stop sales taxes and watch them put American back to work.

Stop giving Schedule E, rental income credits against 1040 income. Rental property get to take property taxes off on their taxes! (So are undocumented immigrants really paying any taxes other than sales taxes?)

We know that undocumented immigrants are driving without license, current tag, or insurance. So do you honestly think taxes are being paid on the vehicles?

Should we all quit!? Go get our money out of banks and out of Wall Street and start trading like the ILLEGALS who our elected officials like better than you and me.

WE ARE UNDER INVASION! AND THE ELECTED OFFICIAL DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU, ME, AND US!
    Mayoral spokesman Nathan Ballard welcomed Busch's ruling but said it would have little impact on the review being conducted by City Administrator Ed Lee.
    Fire everyone involved with promoting this card promotion for illegals.

MW
    but it provided a mechanism for city residents to access services like library cards and discounted fares at city-owned golf courses, the judge said.
    Come on now, what percentage of illegal aliens play golf or frequent the library?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Duplicate post but will leave open since more comments.
    Also, moving to News from Other Topics.
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-135352.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Duplicate post but will leave open since more comments.
    Also, moving to News from Other Topics.
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-135352.html
    Hmmm.......guess I shouldn't have responded.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn