KILLER'S RIGHT TO HIS PRIVACY

dailystar.co.uk
22nd December 2011
By Ross Kaniuk

A MURDER victim’s family cannot be told if the killer is an illegal immigrant because it would infringe his privacy.

Wintworth and Lurline Deslandes are desperate to confirm their su****ions that Saturday Hassan is in Britain illegally.

They want to ensure he is deported if he is released from jail.

But they have been told the killer must agree to details of his immigration status being handed over to their MP.

Officials said this “personal information” needed to be “safeguarded” under the Data Protection Act.

The UK Border Agency insisted it needed “written authority” from Hassan, who is serving life with a minimum 37 years for shooting Darren.

Last night the Deslandes family’s MP Malcolm Wicks branded the decision “ridiculous”.

He said: “The logic of that answer is that I should write a nice letter saying: ‘Dear murderer, would you give me permission to find out if you are a foreign national, so I can make sure you are deported.’”

Hassan, 31, was thrown out of the Deslandes’ pub, the Newton Arms in Croydon, south London, on New Year’s Eve 2009 after threatening a customer.

He returned with a semi-automatic weapon, shooting Darren, 34, in the head. His brother Junior, 26, was left critically ill but survived.

Hassan, who arrived in Britain from Guyana, was found guilty of murder and attempted murder at the Old Bailey.

Mrs Deslandes, 57, whose husband Wintworth, 60, has terminal cancer, said: “I do not see why he should have data protection. He has killed someone.”

A UKBA official said yesterday: “A foreign national receiving a sentence of more than 12 months will automatically be considered for deportation.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view...o-his-privacy/