Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

KS: Camera catches political sign thief

Camera catches political sign thief
    By JIM SULLINGER
    The Kansas City Star
    October 17, 2008

Ever think of jumping out of your car and stealing the sign of a politician or cause you despise?

Well, don’t.

Someone may be pointing a camera at you.

A political sign “thiefâ€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Police: Report Campaign Sign Thefts

Police: Report Campaign Sign Thefts
    Reported by: Aaron Keller
    Email: keller@nbcactionnews.com
    Last Update: 10/11 11:43 am

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- Stealing a campaign sign could land you in jail for a year, or force you to pay $1,000 in fines, according to police.

"Please report every theft of every time," said Tom Gentry, Independence Police spokesman.

Campaign volunteers around the Kansas City Metro are reporting hundreds of stolen signs. Some signs have been set on fire, according to volunteers for the Barack Obama campaign in Lee's Summit. Others have been spray-painted, according to the some volunteers in Lee's Summit. Olathe, Kan. officers reported other spray-paintings in their area.

"I think it's ridiculous. I think it's a terrible thing. It has to do with your own concept of political expression," said Becky Hubbell, one of 200 people who told a candidate for Johnson County Commission that their signs had been stolen.

Police departments say it's hard to follow the sign-nabbers without a description of a vehicle, a plate number, or other clues.

Still, vandals can face stiff penalties if caught.

"They could be charged with theft," said Gentry. "A judge has discretion, up to a year in jail and a thousand dollar fine."

Marci Alexander of Oak Grove has had her John McCain signs stolen three times.

"It bothers me that someone's coming on my property," she said. "You know what? Every time they steal my signs, I'm going to come up, and make a donation" to the McCain campaign, she added.

"There's a rash of it this year, more than the norm, I would say," said Mo. Rep. Gary Dusenberg, R-Blue Springs.

Police departments in Olathe, Overland Park, Lee's Summit, Leawood, and Independence say they've received less than half a dozen reports of campaign sign theft and vandalism in each respective jurisdiction. Campaign staff say most people just don't bother reporting problems of this sort to police.

Homeowners rarely call authorities because the signs cost only a few dollars each. But when you add up the costs of having hundreds of signs stolen, the impact can really hurt a candidate for local office.

Most people say cost is not the issue.

"It's bigger than my sign, it's being able to express politically how I feel," said Becky Hubbell of Leawood, Kan.

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local ... 389076ac66
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I've heard that McCain signs have been removed in our area but oddly enough no Obama signs. Hmmm....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They call it raking, when they go out pulling up the other guy's signs.

It's just not worth it. The time and energy spent taking the signs, could have been spent making them or putting them out.

You know we do everything big in Texas. This is one big stolen sign!

(February 08, 200 - Bill Hollingsworth's been running for sheriff of Hamilton County for more than a year and his constant companion on the campaign trail has been a thousand pound bull that's now gone missing.

Hollingsworth told News 10 Friday morning the fiberglass monstrosity was mounted on a flatbed trailer and parked near the courthouse in downtown Hamilton.

But somebody decided the bull and the attached signs needed rustling and now it's gone. (...)

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/15458361.html

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The article says the guy posted pictures of the theif on his website. Can anyone dig up that site? Of course the newspaper wouldn't mention the address. Typical newspapers.. That's why I don't buy them. Welcome to the internet age.

Taking a drive through the neighborhood today, I had to laugh. The campaign signs are like weeds all over the lawns. There is one with McCain signs, while next door there is an Obama sign. Plus, there are plenty of signs for state, local politicians, along with signs for school board and judgeship candidates. I still don't know who is running for dog catcher.