Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ky. Senate Panel OKs Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants

Ky. Senate Panel OKs Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants

Measure Allows Police To Check Immigration Status

WLWT.com
    January 6, 2011
    FRANKFORT, KY

Kentucky lawmakers have taken a first step toward a crackdown on illegal immigrants, sending along a bill that would allow police to determine the immigration status of people they detain.

The measure, backed by Senate Republican leaders, cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee on an 8-3 vote after a lengthy discussion Thursday.

The bill now heads to the full Senate.

The legislation also makes it illegal to harbor or transport illegal immigrants.

Supporters said Kentucky needs to strictly enforce immigration laws to halt the influx of illegal immigrants who cause a huge drain on government services.

Opponent Sen. Perry Clark, D-Louisville, called the bill a "12th century bill of rights" that is based on fear and political opportunism.

Republican state Sen. John Schickel, of Union, introduced legislation Tuesday that will allow police to arrest illegal immigrants on trespassing charges for setting foot in Kentucky.

http://www.wlwt.com/politics/26390128/detail.html

Banned

Re: Ky. Senate Panel OKs Crackdown On Illegal Immigrants

Quote Originally Posted by American-ized
    Republican state Sen. John Schickel, of Union, introduced legislation Tuesday that will allow police to arrest illegal immigrants on trespassing charges for setting foot in Kentucky.

LOVE IT!!!!!

If your happy and you know it, Clap Your Hands...
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Banned
    ITS OUR TIME NOW

Hoping to see more stories like this as the new year unfolds.

N Carolinas session starts on Jan the 26th and I have made calls today already.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Part of this article is posted.
    ~~~

Top Kentucky lawmakers differ on several key bills
    By BRUCE SCHREINER - Jan 12, 2011 2:40 PM PT By The Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The Kentucky Senate's top Republican and the House Democratic budget chief staked out sharply different stands on education, immigration and tax modernization bills at a joint appearance Wednesday.

In a flurry of opening-week action, the GOP-led Senate passed bills promoting neighborhood schools, giving police broad authority to crack down on illegal immigration and creating a commission to work on rewriting the state tax code.

Those measures now go to the House, where Democrats hold sway. The General Assembly reconvenes in February.

House budget committee Chairman Rick Rand, D-Bedford, criticized the three measures during a joint appearance with Senate President David Williams before the Louisville Forum, a nonpartisan public issues group.

Afterward, Rand said the chance for an impasse exists on those issues in a session that lasts 30 working days.

"It's going to be depending on how willing the Senate is to compromise on anything," he said. "Obviously, we're not going to pass any of them as they are. We're just going to have to wait and see."

Rand said gubernatorial politics loom as a big issue in the legislative session. Williams is seeking the GOP nomination for governor, while Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear is running for a second term.

"It's going to be a factor, and I'm not saying it's going to be a negative factor — we don't know," Rand said in his opening remarks. "It's going to be incumbent on us in the House to work with Sen. Williams as much as we can to help push forward an agenda that will help continue to move Kentucky forward."

Williams didn't tout his candidacy during the event, but he jabbed at Beshear for not pushing for tax modernization and for proposing a state budget last year based partly on revenue from legalizing slot machines at tracks, an idea that died.

On immigration, Rand warned that the Senate-passed measure could lead to a national backlash hurting Kentucky's tourism and convention business. He also worried the measure would saddle local jails with higher costs from additional inmates.

"I think it would be wrong for us to pass an Arizona-style immigration bill," Rand said. "I think it would be terrible public relations for Kentucky and would be virtually impossible to enforce."

Williams said Kentucky risks becoming a "sanctuary state" for illegal immigrants if other states enact tougher enforcement laws. He said illegal aliens strain social services, health care and education.

"All those things collectively cry out for addressing the immigration issue," he said.

The Senate proposal would allow police to arrest illegal immigrants on trespassing charges for setting foot in Kentucky. It would allow Kentucky law enforcement officers to determine the immigration status of someone who is stopped for another reason, such as a traffic offense, and who is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.

Rand said House Democrats intend to pass a measure to require that anyone doing business with the state verify they have no undocumented workers on their payroll. Williams criticized it as "punitive" action against employers.

www.bloomberg.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Kentucky State Reps. being targeted by La Raza!

JOHN TILLEY
    Hopkinsville,Ky.
    270 881 4717
    St.Capital
    502 564 8100

DARRYL OWENS
    Louisville,Ky.40202
    502 584 6341
    Capital:
    502 564 8100

BRENT YONTS
    Greenville,Ky.42345
    270 338 6790
    270 338 0186

JOHNNY BELL
    Glasgow,Ky.42141
    270 651 7005

KELLY FLOOD
    Lexington,Ky.40503
    859 221 3107

STAN LEE:R
    Lexington,Ky.40588
    859 252 2202

JONI JENKINS
    Shively,Ky.40216
    502 447 4324

MARY MARZIAN
    Louisville,Ky.40205
    502 451 5032

TOM KERR:R
    Taylor Mill,Ky.41015
    859 356 1344
    859 431 2222

STEVEN RUDY:R
    Paducah,Ky.42086
    270 744 8137
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This the e-mail page for the Ky. State Reps.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/whoswho/email.htm

This link is also for all state Reps. and Senators e-mail just put what state you want in.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn