Kyl: Fence needed for reform success

http://www.douglasdispatch.com/articles ... /news3.txt

U.S. Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ) today issued the following statement regarding the announcement by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that construction of fencing, which was authorized and initially funded in the 109th Congress, has begun in southern Arizona:

"Last year there was the question about whether the legislation passed by Congress that authorized construction of fencing would actually be built, and I think this should answer that question.

"I am encouraged that DHS has begun the initial phases of fencing and barrier construction along the southern border of Arizona. These barriers are a key component to achieving a secure border, and a secure border is required for any comprehensive immigration reform to succeed.

"Last year, I worked with my Senate colleagues to pass legislation that authorized and started the initial funding to have this fencing and vehicle barriers built. It is incumbent upon Congress to continue providing this crucial funding every year and build on the momentum we have gained toward controlling our borders.

"The best hope for immigration reform to occur is in the next 12 months, and I am hopeful that Congress will be able to take the steps required toward comprehensive reform."