Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

LA Mayor and Accomplices Begging for Money in DC

United mayors plead for more funding
    By Duke Helfand, Times Staff Writer
    12:15 PM PDT, March 27, 2007

WASHINGTON -- More than 200 of the Los Angeles region's top civic and business officials -- many of them adversaries back home -- delivered a unified civic message and pleas for more dollars to members of Congress and federal bureaucrats today.

The delegation sought funding for gang intervention programs, port security, education and affordable housing.

"All of us are coming together with a common message," Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said at a news conference next to the Capitol. "Southern California's challenges are America's challenges."

Villaraigosa was joined by several members of the Los Angeles City Council, Santa Monica Mayor Richard Bloom, Los Angeles Unified School District Board President Marlene Canter, schools Supt. David L. Brewer and David W. Fleming, chairman of the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce.

These officials and scores of others, including Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle and a gaggle of Villaraigosa staff members, fanned out through the halls of Congress this morning to plead their case for more federal aid.

In one of the meetings, Villaraigosa, Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton, Fleming and Councilwoman Janice Hahn met with Los Angeles Democratic Reps. Maxine Waters and Howard Berman. They were joined by Rep. John Conyers Jr.(D-Mich.) and Rep. Robert C. Scott (D-Va.). In the meeting to discuss anti-gang initiatives, they urged the federal lawmakers to focus not only on suppression but also on prevention, job training and other efforts keep young people from joining gangs.

Villaraigosa and Canter, who have sparred over the mayor's bid to exert authority over the schools, met with Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) to discuss the pending reauthorization of the No Child Left Behind education law. They asked for greater flexibility for local schools and for the federal government to fully pay for what the law requires.

The delegation is focusing much of its attention on lobbying for greater federal investment in transportation and security for the region.

The local officials came armed with facts and figures about Southern California's contribution to the national economy. They noted that more than 40% of the nation's imported cargo comes through the sister ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. And they asked that money for port and rail security be allocated based on risk rather than on population.

The officials brought along a breakdown, by congressional district, of the value that goods that come through the two Southern California ports add to a region's economy. For example, goods coming through the local port complex to Minnesota's 5th Congressional District added $2.2 million to the district in 2005.

The delegates got no promises but said the trip is laying important groundwork.

"We are the ATM for the United States and we're coming here to get refilled," Fleming told the gathering at a breakfast meeting with Sen. Dianne Feinstein. "It's time we put a few bucks back in."

Others said they didn't necessarily expect to come home with dollars in hand but to press the region's contributions and needs to federal lawmakers who are distracted by the war in Iraq and other matters.

"Sometimes you get immediate gratification," said L.A. Councilwoman Wendy Greuel. "Other times it's laying the foundation for votes that will take place in a few months. We're doing a little bit of both."

duke.helfand@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-na ... -headlines

--------------------------------
    I THINK LA AND THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE EXACERBATED ITS OWN PROBLEMS, DON'T YOU? MAYBE THEY SHOULD MAKE A DEAL i.e., THE REVERSAL OF LAPD SPECIAL ORDER 40 or EMPLOYER CRACKDOWNS ON ILLEGALS. AS FAR AS I KNOW, SO FAR LA HAS DONE NOTHING TO CURB ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND THE MYRIAD OF PROBLEMS CONNECTED WITH IT.
    NO, LA SHOULDN'T GET ANY MONEY UNTIL IT GETS IN LINE WITH ENFORCEMENT.

Contact Mayor Villaraigosa:
    E-Mail Address: mayor@lacity.org

Banned
    LA should get no more of taxpayers' hard-earned dollars until they start cracking down on illegal aliens. They bring the problem on themselves, and then want the feds to fork over more money? I suggest they take up a collection among the Hollywood crowd.

NOW that would be so funny if it was not the most insane thing I have heard...Money for the problems you have created....Mayor put down the bong
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Mayor Antonio VillaLaRaza should be demanding money from the Mexican Govt., being as most of the people using public services are Mexican Nationals, illegal aliens from Mexico who do not pay U.S. taxes. I don't want my tax dollars going to support a city that has the largest population of Mexican citizens outside of the country of Mexico. If these people want to go around waving the Mexican flag, have their anchor babies taught in Spanish and learn Mexican culture and history, then let the Mexico pay for them.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

"Southern California's challenges are America's challenges."
    Exactly, ever since the hordes of illegals have been unloosed on the Nation! I can remember lamenting how I was glad I didn't live there and now "there" is "everywhere."

If you haven't noticed, Hollywood is on board with the illegals as is evidenced by the ultra-liberal propoganda they purvey in TV and movies.

If I had a voice at HBO for instance, I would burn every film and file associated with "America's Mexican"
    Any American citizen associated with that BS under the guise of a comedy routine should lose their citizenship and immediately be shipped to their country of choice.

Are we as the audience supposed to be subjected to that noise, and why?

California and the rest of the southwest USA are dedfinitey the front lines, but, they even elected an immigrant Governor. Hey, I like Arnolds' movies but I wouldn't have voted for him in a bazillion years.

We have got to take our country back someway, somehow.
    A Nation with no borders is not a Nation"
    --Ronald Reagan

Kinda makes big liars out of the arguers that illegal aliens are such a great boon to our economy. They should save enough on head lettuce alone out there to pay for all those things. Write Congress, ask them what's the deal. KALI should be like the gold rush by now.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sanctuary cities should get not one dime of taxpayers money!! Mayor!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I agree. Crack down on illegal immigration before anymore money starts flowing into that state.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Sanctuary cities should get not one dime of taxpayers money!! Mayor!!
    Well said!!!!