Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Labor shortage threatens citrus

Labor shortage threatens citrus

The Associated Press |
    Posted July 11, 2006

TA LLAHASSEE -- Gov. Jeb Bush and Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson said Monday it is ironic that millions of Florida oranges could waste because of a shortage of fruitpickers during a national debate over the country's immigration laws.

Orange production in the state could become the lowest since 1992 if the worst projections come true. That year, growers harvested 139.8 million boxes.

"It's interesting that we have this flurry of activity regarding illegal immigrants and all the problems, yet we have shortages in critical areas of our state, given the growth of our economy," Bush said.

"You know, obviously, we don't want to have fresh oranges that can't be processed during harvesting time."

The citrus season usually ends in late June but will extend to at least late July this year, with juice processors hoping to get as many oranges as possible off trees.

"It's not just the migrants that are going to be affected; it's going to be the growers, the farmers and how many if they can't make a living, if they can't get their crops picked," Bronson said.

"How many of those acres are going to be developed because they can't afford to stay there with the system of no labor to pick their crop?"

As many as 6 million boxes of oranges may go unharvested in Florida this year because of a shortage of fruitpickers.

Growers have reported difficulty finding enough workers. Industry officials say the labor supply was tight from the beginning of the season in October but grew worse by the middle of May, when a large number of Hispanics seemed to leave the state.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pay a decent wage and you will have all of the help you need.....
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

grew worse by the middle of May, when a large number of Hispanics seemed to leave the state.
    Too bad they didn't leave the country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Like I said before...The millions of illegals have not been deported and have not left the country so where are all the orange pickers?

I think it is a bunch of hogwash.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    grew worse by the middle of May, when a large number of Hispanics seemed to leave the state.
    Too bad they didn't leave the country.
    I posted an article Sunday that blames the shortage on workers returning home in anticipation of a guest worker program. I have my doubts it is true but here is the article making the claim.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ght=citrus
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

dlm1968 wrote:

Like I said before...The millions of illegals have not been deported and have not left the country so where are all the orange pickers?
    They obviously moved up the ladder. Too bad the orchards won't pay a liveable wage, plenty of Americans want to work but can't sleep 30 to a trailer to save on expenses. Now Florida must wait for the next batch of border-jumpers to fill the bill.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968

I think it is a bunch of hogwash.
    There smuggling drugs over the border, it pays better
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson