Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Laguna's Day Labor Site Saved

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9436.story

Also refer to this discussion.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ght=laguna

Laguna's Day Labor Site Saved
    Targeted by foes of illegal immigration as well as the state in a land ownership snafu, the hiring operation will continue in a lease deal.

By Jennifer Delson
    Times Staff Writer

July 13, 2006

A Laguna Beach day labor hiring center, slated to close because it was operating illegally on state land, will remain open after an agreement between city and state officials.

Two weeks ago, Caltrans ordered the long-established center to close, saying it was illegally operating on state property along Laguna Canyon Road, which the state hadn't known it owned.

The state Department of Transportation issued the order to close after Eileen Garcia, a Laguna Beach resident and member of the Minuteman Project border patrol group, checked property records and brought it to the state's attention.

Minuteman members and others have regularly protested at that and other day labor sites around Southern California.

State officials said they were unconcerned whether the workers seeking jobs at the Laguna Beach center were illegal or legal immigrants. It was simply a legal liability having the center on state land.

To solve that problem, the city will lease the property for one year from Caltrans at a "fair market" rate, said City Manager Kenneth C. Frank.

That amount has not been determined, but Frank said he did not believe that the land had great value.

During the coming year, the city will determine whether it can buy the parcel from the state, Frank said.

Caltrans spokeswoman Pam Gorniak said the agency was determining whether to consider the property surplus, a first step in selling it.

But the matter is far from over, say Garcia and others who staunchly oppose illegal immigration. They have vowed to conduct a "Shame on Laguna Beach" protest near the site Saturday.

"I'm disappointed, but I'm not surprised," said Garcia. "Any city operating illegally on land that doesn't belong to them is capable of anything."

Minuteman co-founder Jim Gilchrist said his group would look for a way to challenge the lease.

"Laguna Beach wants to be a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants," Gilchrist said. "It's one of several cities that are the source of the illegal immigrant problem in this country."

Rep. John Campbell (R-Irvine) said he would ask U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement if there was "any enforcement mechanism" that could be used at the site.

Campbell said undocumented workers often seek jobs in public places, but he added, "The fact that this is on government property makes it a little more egregious."

Lori Haley, a spokeswoman for ICE, says her agency conducts enforcement when it receives information that warrants it, but "the fact that it's state property would not have any effect on enforcement."

For Laguna Beach officials, the issue is not immigration but controlling traffic and prevention of loitering.

Frank, the city manager, said he wasn't saying the center "is right for immigration law or wrong for immigration law. It's just a pragmatic solution. We do not have the practical ability to enforce federal immigration law."

The city gives about $25,000 annually to a nonprofit organization that runs the center.

Dicterow, the mayor, said that because the city can't stop illegal immigration, "if we are going to have a problem, the question is how to best deal with it."

At the center, manager Irma Ronses said the workers were pleased with the agreement to save the operation.

The workers "were very worried because they didn't want to look for work on corners," Ronses said. "They didn't want to have problems. Now it looks like they won't."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Damn. Thought this one was a gonner.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The city gives about $25,000 annually to a nonprofit organization that runs the center.
    So taxpayers foot the bill for the illegals to come and steal jobs, lower wages, destroy the quality of life for residents. Not to mention the crimes associated with illegal day laborers you never hear reported by the media. Things like sexual assualts on women and children after they are hired to do work on people's properties.

They get hired to work for a few days, see all the young white women and kids in the neighborhoods, and after getting paid, go and get drunk, then while feeling lonely for Mexico where their normal practice of assualting young women is accepted, they assault, rape, molest and kidnap or worst, whoever happens to be available.

This has happened numerous times in San Diego's North County, where contractors and private citizens, looking for cheap labor, hire illegals for a few days work, with no knowledge of who they are or what they are capable of, then turning them loose at night to roam the canyons, spending their money on tequila and cervezas, getting wasted, right next to prime targets for their family values type forced encounters with whomever they take a fancy to. I think anyone brings an illegal laborer into their home or even onto their property are simply crazy.

Now, maybe not all of these guys are criminals, but I would not take that chance, not with spouses and children, sometimes at home alone, especially when they have as part of their culture, a practice of impregating 11 year old girls, then saying, "I didn't know, it is OK where I come from back home in the pueblo," through a court appointed, taxpayer funded translator of course.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

MW
    I think it's time for an email campaign to Laguna Beach city elected officials. Anyone have some email address - I'm ready to get started! Laguna Beach has definitely decided to be an encourager and supporter of illegal immigration. It's bad enough when private property is used for these day labor sites, but state property is beyond the bounds of reason. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'll write get me an address. This makes me really pi$$ed.

I'll write these idiots.

State officials said they were unconcerned whether the workers seeking jobs at the Laguna Beach center were illegal or legal immigrants. It was simply a legal liability having the center on state land.
    So in other words you don't care about America or the American people only financial liability. Up Yours!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

dot

Laguna Beach

What a bunch of morons. I will send an email...just need an address
    dot

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.ocregister.com

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Rent on day-labor site unknown
    Caltrans says the cost to Laguna Beach for its lease may take 60 days to determine.

By HEATHER IGNATIN and AMY TAXIN
    The Orange County Register

LAGUNA BEACH - Many questions remained a day after Laguna Beach announced a one-year lease agreement with Caltrans for a day labor site.

Pam Gorniak, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation, said Wednesday that her agency had not determined how much rent to charge or whether it would sell the land to the city.

The rental fee could take 40 to 60 days to determine, while a timeline on whether to sell the 20,000-square-foot property along Laguna Canyon Road, where day laborers are matched up with employers, has not been determined.

Caltrans had ordered the city to close the site after Eileen Garcia, a member of the Minuteman Project, found records last month showing that the land was state-owned – acquired in 1951 from the Irvine Co. – and had not been properly permitted for use.

"They should not spend taxpayer money for any activity that pertains to illegal immigration," Garcia said, adding that she is against the city's renting or buying the property.

The contract was signed Monday and announced Tuesday night by City Manager Ken Frank. The City Council had authorized Frank to negotiate and sign the lease agreement with Caltrans – and start negotiations to buy the land – during a closed meeting last week.

Any property purchase would come before the council for approval, City Attorney Philip Kohn said.

Frank said he doubts that renting the site would cost much.

"I think it is going to be virtually nothing," he said. "It's just dirt ... there's no sewer and it's too small for a building site. It can't be used for anything."

Proponents praised the decision.

"Everybody is so excited about it," said Irma Ronses, coordinator of the day labor center. "We're going to keep (it) going. … They say we have a lease for a year. "

Timeline of Laguna Beach day-labor hiring site

1993: The city passes a law restricting day-labor hiring to the Laguna Canyon Road site, rather than various spots.

July 2005: Two protests near the site stop just short of violence. About 150 people – some against illegal immigration and others speaking in favor of immigrants – attend. Police step in several times to keep protesters apart. Protests last for about three weeks, slowing business.

June 2006: Minuteman Project member Eileen Garcia brings to light documentation showing the land is owned by the state.

June 29: The city receives a letter from the state requesting a response as to how it would discontinue use of the site. The city replies as requested.

Tuesday: The city and Caltrans announce agreement on a one-year temporary lease.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn