Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lame Duck Bush says he'll press ahead with agenda

http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_i ... yID=109446

Bush says he'll press ahead with agenda
    06/01/2005

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush, faced with a string of setbacks on Capitol Hill, shrugged off questions about his political clout and promised Tuesday to keep pushing the Republican-led Congress for a Social Security overhaul.

Looking ahead, the president also acknowledged he was thinking about a Supreme Court vacancy, widely expected this year. That was a departure from the White House's usual refusal to publicly discuss how Bush would approach filling a job that, while not now empty, has groups across the political spectrum already gearing up for battle.

He pledged to consult senators at "an appropriate time," though he didn't say how early in the process those talks would come or whether he would seek input from Democrats as well as Republicans. He suggested that a recent compromise ending a Senate showdown over judicial nominees wouldn't necessarily lead him to lean to a more centrist pick for the high court.

"I told the American people I would find people of a certain temperament that would serve on the bench, and I intend to do that," Bush said in his seventh news conference in the seven months since his election to a second term.

Answering questions for 51 minutes in the sun-splashed Rose Garden, Bush said his policies in Iraq, Iran and North Korea were working.

He denounced as "absurd" a report by the human rights group Amnesty International that compared the U.S. treatment of terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to a Soviet-era gulag.

Saying that Russian oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky seemed to have been "adjudged guilty prior to having a fair trial," Bush promised to watch how the government of Russian President Vladimir Putin handled the expected appeal in a case regarded as politically motivated.

The president held firm to his domestic policy agenda even though Congress -- including some Republicans -- has balked at much of it. Bush is facing fights over his plan to partially privatize Social Security, his nomination of John Bolton as U.N. ambassador, a free-trade pact with Central America, an immigration guest worker program and his opposition to legislation to expand embryonic stem-cell research.

Bush professed no worries that he's depleted most of the political capital he said in November that he earned with his re-election victory. Eager dispel any notion that he is a lame-duck president with little leverage, Bush used the word "push" three times and "lead" four and showed no intention of giving up in any area.

"I've been around here long enough now to tell you, and tell the people listening, things just don't happen overnight. It takes a while," the president said. "And one thing is for certain, it takes a president willing to push people to do hard things."

He indirectly criticized GOP Senate leaders for the delay in Bolton's confirmation vote, which Democrats united to force.

"I was disappointed that once again the leadership there in the Senate didn't give him an up-or-down vote," Bush said.

On Social Security, Bush derided those who oppose his call for action as taking an "easy path." He predicted success for his drive to create private accounts within the government retirement program.

"It's like water cutting through a rock. It's just a matter of time," he said. "In the meantime, the people are watching Washington, and nothing's happening, except you got a president who's willing to talk about the issue."

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid retorted that Bush should "stop caving to the demands of the far right" if he is serious about bipartisan accomplishment on any issue.

"Democrats stand in the commonsense center, ready to take up this work," the Nevada Democrat said.

Turning to global matters, Bush repeatedly defended his approach to sticky problems:

--Bush denied any increase of strength in the Iraqi insurgency, whose deadly attacks have been on the rise since a new government was announced April 28. He said the Iraqi government would be "plenty capable of dealing with them" with the help of American training. "I'm pleased with the progress," Bush said.

--He insisted that Europe-led talks with Iran "are making some progress" and defended his decision to allow Iran to apply for membership in the World Trade Organization as a key, but measured, step to advance those discussions.

--Bush also defended his approach to North Korea, denying critics who say it has allowed the government there to expand its nuclear program. The president said trying to persuade Pyongyang to abandon the program through six-nation talks was still the most likely route to success.

"We've got a lot of work to do with the North Korean because he tends to ignore what the other five nations are saying at times. But that doesn't mean we're going to stop," Bush said. "For those who say that we ought to be using our military to solve the problem, I would say that while all options are on the table, we've got a ways to go to solve this diplomatically."

================================================== ===========

This guy just doesn't get it, does he? His arrogance knows no boundaries.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote:
    "I told the American people I would find people of a certain temperament that would serve on the bench, and I intend to do that," Bush said

See. "I told the American people........." I don't remember him telling me anything. I wish he'd stop 'lumping us all in together'. He's confusing citizens with his trusted cabinet folks.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Quote:
    "I told the American people I would find people of a certain temperament that would serve on the bench, and I intend to do that," Bush said

See. "I told the American people........." I don't remember him telling me anything. I wish he'd stop 'lumping us all in together'. He's confusing citizens with his trusted cabinet folks.
    Single digit, low frequency fool. And that's the nice things I have to say about him
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    Quote:

I remember you telling me yesterday he said that and I couldn't find the quote and asked you if he really did say that. Well I guess I got my proof didn't I. Not that I didn't believe you or anything, but wow, this guy must be smoking some good stuff if he thinks he speaks for us. Talk about being out to lunch.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I have one question that looms in my head every time I hear about Social Security...What does Bush or anyone he is associated with, gain by privatizing social security? Prescott Bush (George H.W.'s Dad) GW's Grandfather was a banker. As a matter of fact, he financed the Nazi's eight months into WWII. I had to look that one up for myself, yep there it was, google search Prescott Bush and Nazi. Is the Bush family still in Banking? If so, privatizing SS would benefit them greatly. Anything is possible at this point. The question is WHY is he pushing this so hard? I know it is NOT to benefit the American people considering his current track record.
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

VIGINIA
    The question is WHY is he pushing this so hard? I know it is NOT to benefit the American people considering his current track record.
    Because HE MADE A TOTALIZATION AGREEMENT WITH MEXICO!!!

Personally, we'd prefer to control our OWN MONEY and not the SS/gov't.
    HOWEVER, when I found out about the TOTALIZATION W/MEX I hit the ceiling..........I WOULDN'T GIVE HIM SQUAT NOW!

PRESCOTT BUSH..........slime bag. Yes, in banking.........don't you remember younger brother slime bag that STOLE {my word} all that money with the S&L scandal?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

2ndamendsis

I have been reading up on the totalization agreement or shall I say agreements. I was a teenager in the eighties so I wasn't really paying attention to politics. The recent agreement with Mexico essentially says and correct me if I am wrong, that the more time the worker spends in a country working, that country will be responsible for their Social Security when they retire. So essentially the Mexican Government is telling their people to come here so we have to pay them later. A double whammy of sorts, work tax-free have us take care of your healthcare and schooling for their children, housing and now we get to pay them again later. I doubt the other 19 countries have as many citizens here as Mexico does.
    Did I get it right?

Vmama

The thing, VIRGINIA, that really puts us down the road to disaster is that ILLEGALS will be able to COLLECT also.

1. TEMP WORK STATUS---disaster
    2. AMNESTY -------DISASTER
    3. ANCHOR BABIES-------DISASTER +++

Other countries, although the numbers of visas have been increased, must be "legal" to collect just as our citizens collect from those countries. Our other agreements are in essence a "wash."

HOWEVER, Americans aren't in MEXICO to COLLECT SS en masse. It's not the country of choice to build a CAREER in. We are being screwed from every direction!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Virginiamama
    I have one question that looms in my head every time I hear about Social Security...What does Bush or anyone he is associated with, gain by privatizing social security? Prescott Bush (George H.W.'s Dad) GW's Grandfather was a banker. As a matter of fact, he financed the Nazi's eight months into WWII. I had to look that one up for myself, yep there it was, google search Prescott Bush and Nazi. Is the Bush family still in Banking? If so, privatizing SS would benefit them greatly. Anything is possible at this point. The question is WHY is he pushing this so hard? I know it is NOT to benefit the American people considering his current track record.
    Our government can't even earn the risk free rate of return on social security funds...of course, I support privatization.

We need to do something about this anchor baby situation, which absolutely burns me up by the BTW. Ireland had a good approach. Your child is legal but your not, you have to leave, your choice...