Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"This Land is my Land"(MMP commentary-S.J. Miller)

A hard-hitting, positive and honest commentary on the MinuteMan project
    http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=9582

March 28, 2005 Vol. 05, No. 86
    ’This Land is My Land?’
    By S. J. Miller

The call was issued, and Americans came.

From California to the New York Island. From the redwood forests to the Gulf Stream waters.

They answered "yes, we'll come to the Border on April 1 2005."

Paying their own way, and on their own time. From all occupations, age groups, and backgrounds.

Hoping the news media would follow them to the battleground where 3 million illegal alien invaders annually enter the US, bringing to every American TV screen the disgrace and shame of federal officials who refuse to protect American citizens living in their own country. Hoping there are enough patriots left in America to join their outraged voices calling for the President to do what George W. Bush swore an oath to do - protect American citizens against alien invasion.

What they wanted wasn't much: enforcement of current federal immigration laws. And elimination of the unspoken, "politically correct" special exemptions from civil and criminal laws given to illegal aliens.

Some wanted to join the volunteer citizen patrols while others joined the rallies of support for the US Border Patrol at the areas Naco and Douglas border crossing stations.

They'd tried working through the system; writing, faxing, e-mailing, phone-calling to both Congress and the White House. Three years past 9/11, the stream of invaders has changed only to increase. The only federal responses were excuses, empty promises, and deceitful games of "smoke and mirrors."

To put a "politically-incorrect" measure on the ballot with some protection to their citizens against illegal aliens, Arizonans gathered petition signatures in the triple-digit heat, distributed leaflets and posted "Yes on 200" signs. After its passage by voters, AZ governor Napolitano and Attorney General Goddard then ignored the "will of the people" by doing all possible to hinder implementation. When Mexican officials protested the passage of Prop 200, not one of Arizona's state or federal officials did their duty of telling Mexico to mind its own business and stop meddling in Arizona's domestic affairs!

In the beginning, no one paid much attention. Just a few people silly enough to think they'd be able to make even a small dent in the 7000 illegal aliens entering Arizona every day!

Never-ending streams of illegal aliens, mixed with terrorists and drug runners. Leaving behind trash, garbage and filth literally knee deep.

Organizer Jim Gilchrist was invited to one or two TV shows to publicize the project, but most mainstream media and politicians dismissed him as an ineffective kook. Naively hoping to share his goal with Americans, his media inexperience made it obvious that he wasn't prepared for open-borders liberal newscasters' attacks, implying repeatedly that he was leading a group of "racist gun-toting vigilantes."

Then came the announcement that 1000 volunteers had answered the call, offering strong indications that Minuteman might be effective in achieving its goal: "...to bring serious media and political attention to this event" and "...tune the American people into the shameful fact that 21st century minutemen/women have to help secure US borders because the US government REFUSES to provide our dutiful U.S. Border Patrol and Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with the manpower and funding required." (1)

Suddenly, the media began paying attention. "Concern" was expressed by a motley collection of groups, from the ACLU, racist groups like MALDEF and LaRaza and "human rights protectors" to managers in the Border Patrol and Homeland Security, and eventually the White House.

ACLU, MALDEF et al are "concerned" for the "civil rights / human rights" of illegal alien lawbreakers, and Border Patrol / Homeland Security bureaucrats are "concerned" at their potential embarrassment when their habitual substandard leadership of hard-working and conscientious Border Patrol agents is publicly exposed.

Cochise County Supervisor Paul Newman was even "concerned" that the Minuteman assembly on public right-of-way would violate local zoning laws! Inquiries of Newman whether illegal alien border-jumpers obtain a zoning variance for their invasion went unanswered.

None would admit their REAL concern: that the Minutemen would be sufficiently impressive and significant enough that Americans nationwide would join the public outrage against illegal immigration and influence public policy. My friend Frosty Wooldridge calls it "forming a critical mass."

Next, high-ranking politicians joined to express their "concern" (translated: political fear) of that "critical mass."

First came Bush's Secretary of State Condolezza Rice during her March 10 visit to Mexico City, undoubtedly parroting the "concern" of her Mexican hosts: “And then finally, I think it's well known that the United States has a federal system, but obviously the United States Government would not condone any extralegal means to deal with immigration issues. That should be dealt with by immigration officials and we work very closely with our Mexican counterparts. We try and make sure that our borders are safe and secure as possible and that it is very important that the laws of the United States be respected.� (2)

When The Minutemen Project wasn't cancelled, but instead continued to gather participants, Mexican President Vicente Fox gave it a try on March 16: "We totally reject the idea of these migrant-hunting groups. We will use the law, international law and even U.S. law to make sure that these types of groups, which are a minority . . . will not have any opportunity to progress." (3)

Notice Vicente's phrase: he will "use" the law, not "follow" it. Translate "use" to "manipulate."

Fox's "concern" about organized assembly and protest is well-founded, because that's what's generally needed to effect political change in Mexico. We all remember the reports of enraged Mexican campesinos, displaced from their land, causing an emergency shutdown of the Mexican Congress by riding horseback into the Senate chamber. And only a year ago, former braceros stormed past security guards at Vicente's Guanajuato ranch - they're tired of waiting for the Mexican government to return their "back pay" during the bracero years in the US - 60 years ago! (4)

The next to sell out American Minuteman was Arizona's Senator Jon Kyl, a notorious "fence-straddler" on illegal immigration. (I still have his February 2004 letter with his firm, rockbound position on Prop 200: "I do support protecting the sanctity of Arizona's voting ballot and prohibiting illegal aliens in Arizona from accessing public welfare benefits. ...I do not believe that (Prop 200) is the appropriate means to achieve these goals.") The Minutemen couldn't have asked for a more apologetic betrayal than Kyl's mealy-mouthed press release on March 17 : "U.S. Senator Jon Kyl today urged Mexican President Vicente Fox to respect the United States’ right to defend its borders and 'demonstrate perhaps a little less disdain for the rule of law north of the border. I agree with President Fox that it is unacceptable for civilian groups to take the law into their own hands, and that individuals who volunteer to help the Border Patrol in a lawful way must guard against extremism in their ranks,' Kyl said." (5)

That's tellin' him, Jon! You go, Guy!

But notice that none used the term "vigilante;" that honor was reserved for the Man in the Oval Office during his March 23 meeting with Vicente Fox in Crawford: "I'm against vigilantes in the United States of America. I'm for enforcing law in a rational way. That's why you got a Border Patrol, and they ought to be in charge of enforcing the border." (6)

We agree, Dub. Let us know when you're ready to fully fund the Border Patrol staff AND to "untie the hands" of the Border Patrol, letting them do their job unhindered by political interference from your office

I can't wait for the first journalist to ask me "Why are you here?" Ask Condolezza Rice, Tom Ridge and Assa Hutchinson. Ask George Bush who joins Vicente Fox in calling American citizens "vigilantes," the same "American" President who threatens us IN ADVANCE that we'll be severely punished and held accountable. No one has mentioned the "offense" we've committed to be harassed like this, because we haven't done anything "extralegal!"

Is the President and his lackeys familiar with the concept of "innocent until proven guilty?"

What happened to all their rules about "profiling?"

If it's true that "this land is my land," why is every leader so eager to sell me out?

Do I suspect there will be federal "plants" to incite violence and blame The Minutemen? You bet I do.

They're "concerned," all right. For everyone and everything except the rights of American citizens stated in the Bill of Rights' First Amendment! That the "American" president agrees with the ACLU tells me we've achieved Ezola Foster's prophecy, "It's a sad day in America when the lawmakers side with the lawbreakers against law-abiding American citizens."

If we were illegal aliens, these "leaders" and their ACLU allies would be screaming in outrage, telling Americans that we must allow everyone the right of free expression even if they disagree with us. .

Despite a comment on the March 21 Lou Dobbs' Show, Minutemen attendees need not be concerned that they'll be held to some mysterious politically-correct code of conduct. ("As a matter of fact, we will join our adversaries in prosecuting anyone from the Minuteman Project who attempts to harm or even so much as point a finger at an illegal alien!") (7)

The Office of Cochise County Sheriff Larry Deaver has personally assured me that his deputies won't be acting as "etiquette police;" finger-pointing hasn't suddenly become an arrestible or prosecutable offense in Cochise County. No one will be arrested or prosecuted for simply pointing their finger at anyone or anything!

Minutemen "rally" participants were surprised to learn that no mass assembly is planned showing our numbers of 1000-plus. Instead, we're told to disperse and mingle, randomly coming and going at the two border stations, with admonitions to "bring a lawn chair and make a picnic of it," "Wave and smile at passing cars" and deliver packages of store-bought cookies to Border Patrol agents at the crossing stations. (8 )

Now there's an image guaranteed to put fear in the heart of any pandering politician!

If you're a Minuteman participant, I'll offer some useful tips for your Border visit. They haven't come from the Minuteman "Command Central Command," so I have no idea whether they agree or not. I do know that we're paying our own expenses and on our own time. We didn't come for a "tea and cookies" party at the roadside or "mingle and schmooze" at some quasi-cocktail party.

We planned to assemble together to exhibit our shared outrage at the continued betrayal of American citizens by our leaders, and we have no reason to be apologetic or defensive.

We're well able to do that without breaking laws or infringing on anyone's civil rights, and we demand our civil rights receive equal protection by law enforcement officers. Equal protection as provided to anyone else, no more and no less.

"Pack an 'attitude'"

Excepting rattlesnake repellent and sunscreen, the most useful thing you can pack is an "attitude." You needn't apologize for being angry and outraged at the rape of your country. Don't let the "liberal elite" from ACLU or the media turn you into an apologist like they've done to Jim Gilchrist.

A small handful of media people have dared to show the real disaster of illegal immigration, notably Lou Dobbs of CNN. The rest cling to the politically-correct view and are as responsible as the politicians for the current mess: ABC, NBC, CBS, FoxNews. That Univision and Telemundo are Mexican TV stations clearly shows their bias.

Some hints for using your new "attitude" with the media:

Prepare in advance 5 "talking points" that you want to say.

Say what you want. If their questions don't match your prepared "talking points," ignore their questions with "that's not relevant, but this is..." and continue. Politicians do it all the time, and you can too.

Don't let them pull a fast one with politically correct terms. Insist they use accurate terms like "illegal alien;" rather than their "undocumented immigrant" or "illegal migrant" or other diluted terms. Tell them you'll only respond to accurate and unambiguous questions. If they tell you such terms are their paper's policy, reply "you have your policies and I have mine," and walk away.

If they ask you if you're a "vigilante" (or say that others call you "vigilante,"), insist that they define what a vigilante is. Don't feel obligated to answer their "trap" questions.

Don't be fooled into thinking that you'll persuade them to your way of thinking by being "nice." Their stories were written before they arrived at Minuteman; they only want a name to which to try attaching their sound-bytes.

Interviewers need you more than you need them. Their job depends on their getting on-the-scene interviews; yours doesn't.

How can you go wrong by telling them how outraged you are? The worst that can happen is that you'll be so politically incorrect as to be "cut" from the broadcast, requiring the interviewer to spend additional time getting the footage they need.

Don't let them sucker you with "what might happen." For example, they might say, "I'm (or "Some people" or "Michael Nicely" or "George Bush") is concerned that violence might break out." Your response might be, "It's a free country, they can be concerned about anything they want."

Be sure to mention on-the-air the need for live coverage of the San Pedro River bed with its knee-deep garbage and filth left by illegal alien border-jumpers. It's not on the "VIP Tour" given to congressmen or the President, but any local resident can direct them. See if they're up to the visit when the breezes blow - without a face mask.

Despite the hand-wringing liberals attempts to equate your "outrage" with "potential for violence," don't forget they're as responsible as the politicians for the fiasco you're protesting. Don't let anyone con you into the need for being polite and politically-correct. Point out that Americans being polite and politically-correct is how the current illegal immigration mess came about.

We've learned the lesson that the politicians with the power to enact effective corrections to the current immigration disaster only pay attention to angry and outraged people. Politicians know that polite, politically correct people are happy with "business as usual."

You were already outraged at the destruction of your country--that's why you answered the call to Minuteman. After hearing your President, your Vice-President, and your Secretary of State malign you as a vigilante and threaten you in advance with punishment for something you haven't done (and they have no evidence to believe you will), you now have a second reason to be an outraged citizen. Make that outrage work for you!

A word of advice to the ACLUers, illegal alien "protectors" and the "elitist" media: Be careful of "profiling" Minuteman participants. That "gringo" you regard so contemptuously may be unemployed due to illegal aliens, lost a lifelong business due to illegal aliens, or been a "hit-and-run" victim of an unlicensed, uninsured illegal alien. Goading them with taunts of "racist," "bigot," or "gun-toting vigilante" might get you slugged in the white-capped teeth that cost your "limousine liberal" parents a pretty penny. Your threats of lawsuits will fall on deaf ears; unemployed Americans have little to lose in a lawsuit. Even those with assets might think the price of a lawsuit well worth the satisfaction of decking the "open-borders" protectors who helped cause their problems. Don't assume that assaulting a gringo won't have consequences. Julissa Molina of Denver, an alien from Mexico who assaulted Terry Graham in a public auditorium last July, now faces criminal assault charges and possible deportation.

~ About the author ~

S. J. Miller is a former veteran of the IT industry who sought another career rather than "follow the jobs" abroad, and a lifelong resident of border states, California, Texas, Arizona, and Nevada.

(c) S. J. Miller, 2005. All Rights Reserved

"Published originally at FederalObserver.com: republication allowed with this notice and hyperlink intact."

The S. J. Miller Archive on The Federal Observer

~ Resources ~

(1) Minuteman Website Home Page, November 17, 2004, minutemanproject

(2) "Remarks with Mexican Foreign Secretary Ernesto Derbez, March 10, 2005,
    http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2005/43229.htm

(3) "Mexican President tells US to control extremists," Arizona Republic, March 16 2005,
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0316fox-ON.html

(4) Allen Wall, "Memo From Mexico, Vicente Fox & the Braceros: Hypocrisy & Fraud, VDARE.com, March 23 2004,
    http://www.vdare.com/awall/the_braceros.htm

"Mexicans who worked in the US seek Pay," Miami Herald, February 9 2004,
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/ne ... 914971.htm

(5) "Kyl Criticizes Fox for Threats, Dismissal of US Concerns over Border Security," March 21 2005,
    http://kyl.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=234044

(6) "President Meets with Pres Fox & PM Martin," WhiteHouse.com, March 23, 2005
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 323-5.html

(7) "Lou Dobbs Tonight," CNN Broken Borders, March 21 2005,
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... dt.01.html

(8 ) "Minuteman Project Final Sign-Up," March 21, 2005, E-mail

Reader Comments:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2005-03-28 11:16:22, Hugh N. Bodey, Chaplain MMP wrote:

Excellent points brought out of
    purpose and action to take, if and
    when approached by "Politically
    Correct" opponents.
    I would add: Develop and strengthen
    your ""Relationship" with Almighty
    God"", that His Will shall prefail in all
    cases pertaining to our beloved
    United States of America.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2005-03-28 08:51:51, Raimond wrote:

Ever get the feeling that Shrub Jr.s first words as a hatchling were "no hable ingles?" I do.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On 2005-03-28 08:12:49, David Cheney wrote:

Having worked on the border (mostly alone) I am proud of the stand of the men and women who will patrol with MMP and wish them much success.

Since Fox and Mexican officials have stated that these illegals are an invasion force they have NO rights. Bush commits treason by alowing this invasion!!

You can bet the feds will have spoilers to make trouble. Minutemen, watch your six!
    On 2005-03-28 07:19:48, Marie wrote:

This is honest journalism at its best. Ms.
    Miller is to be praised and congratulated for
    her accurate depiction of a serious problem.
    This Land is our Land!
    On 2005-03-28 05:23:01, Gabriel Razzano wrote:

very well put, I will make a copy to bring to MMP in Ariz. The root of this evil is the 2 party system.Think the constitution party for a constitutional change. Now the only way to tell the lesser of 2 evils is if satans name is on the ballot. never vote for the incombent.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

May I also suggest one other thing for MMP volunteers to concider.

There have been threats from MS-13 and other OBL types. If I was going, I would try and identify any ALCU members or liberal reporters that are in the group I am assigned to. If any shooting happens from the other side, I would position myself behind those I identified. I understand that they tend to be limp and squishy, but any shield is better than no shield . . .

Thanks for the link Wman, and also for the PM about this article. Good article, and the talking points section is also very helpful.

I have dealt with media before, and they CAN be vultures. I do like some of the no nonsense ways of dealing with their obviously slanted questions for their pre-written stories.

H.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Magoo
    May I also suggest one other thing for MMP volunteers to concider.

There have been threats from MS-13 and other OBL types. If I was going, I would try and identify any ALCU members or liberal reporters that are in the group I am assigned to. If any shooting happens from the other side, I would position myself behind those I identified. I understand that they tend to be limp and squishy, but any shield is better than no shield . . .
    I certainly will NOT provide any protection for the likes of some ACLU/OBL lacky. Yes, they are VERY easy to spot, and every one of the true patriots there WILL know who they are.

I also have some other plans which I will not make public in a forum like this, which any ACLU/OBL crapper who is unlucky enough to tag along in my troop will have to submit to. I will absolutely let others in this forum in on the "fun" these loons will have, upon my return (if anything at all happens).

Damn, I am SO looking forward to this project, with or without all of the real or implied threats that are happening. I am really grateful to be allowed to help protect something I feel SO strongly about, namely the future and soverenty of this great country. It is just a bonus to be able to rattle with some lefty/communist skum.

H.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    Thanks for the link Wman, and also for the PM about this article. Good article, and the talking points section is also very helpful.
    Welcome .. somehow I got on the author's mailing list and was given the link through e-mail. I think when I wrote to Jan Herron about her article they passed the address because, IIRC, S.J. Miller and Herron are associates and both write for Federal Observer.

Hope that's correct ...
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan